Pistons @ Hawks Tues. February 7 2006

Discussion in 'February 2006 Games' started by roscoe36, Feb 2, 2006.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, I was hoping that we could keep it going until March. Now SA is right there with us. What worries me is that teams are playing our offense better so we may have to change the mix a bit and play some D. Our defense has been very poor and sporadic lately. Usually the D will give us a good quarter at least. And people say play the bench. I guess you have to--especially with the back to backs. But there is no guarantee that the bench will lead to more wins. Our bench is very on and off.
  2. max

max All-Star

Oh well. I was expecting a rough patch and now here it is. Lost 3 of the past 4 games. Only consistant factor is Billups playing hurt so I suppose he really is our team MVP. Actually did not sound like he was going to play at all this game. Certainly did not seem to play much less mins.

Prince tried his best to help the team but it was not enough. I am not worried. These things happen. Only thing is it may impact the coaches vote for the all-star game.

I am going to do a thread sometime this week or weekend comparing the starters mins. Quick scanning things our starters rank anywhere from 30-50th place in total mins played. Pistons are not some team that platoons out positions because they cannot decide who to start. So they are going to play more than a lot of other teams.

But when a guy is hurting like Billups its important to take him out so it does not lead to something cronic.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Micro, it's the defense that has bcome lax and the fact that three ball is not falling. The starters seem to be hitting on all cylinders when the game starts. The defense is just Ok at that point, but we are looking good enough such that we can pull ahead. As soon as the second unit comes in we seem to stall. It happen in both of the last two games. We give up that lead and then cannot seem to hold it or pull away further letting inferior teams 'hang around'.

Don't want to point the finger at Arroyo, but the only player he can seem to pass to for an assist is McDyess and everyone he passes to either turns it over or misses their shots. (Rip missed a uncontested bunny and a wide open jumper from CA tonight.). Sometimes it appears that it is two man game with just CA & Dice , and Evans and Rip seem to be out of the picture. CA played better in the second half, but for a six minute stretch in the second qtr, the 10 point lead was wiped out with shoddy defense and missed opportunities with him controlling the 'O". Like you said our bigs are being out rebounded with only Ben doing his job. :confused:

Yeah Flip should get the bench more involved, but the bench ain't producing when they come in. The starters are Ok, but thire fatigue is affecting the 'long gun". IMO, a new piece needs to be added to the bench as soon as possible so that he can be ready lead the second unit effortlessly by playoff time. 70 is out of the question now, but it will be a battle down to the end on who will get HC advantage. Darko is not going to contribute this year, so he is expendable!
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Bye Bye Arroyo. Darko will probably go with him. This team NEEDS a backup point guard now.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

tell me about it. he had 3 TO's in 10 minutes, and they were all stupid ones: palming, walking, and i forgot the other b ut it had to do with ball handling as well. this atlanta game isn't different than some of the games in the last half of our 12 game winning streak. The pistons have not played there hardest except now they're losing. with the mavs winning they're first in the west and now only 1.5 games behind us. I'll be happy for this loss if it helps flip realize he has to play the bench even if they make mistakes, and if it gets these guys confidence down because every team is not better than us we all know that but thre pistons are too overconfident right now.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

We don't need to keep HC throughout the season we just need to be ahead at the end.We can't wear ourselves out trying to run in front of the pack all season,yes would be nice to be in drivers seat but it's taking it's toll on the starters.

Ben needs help rebounding Sheed needs to get his big head away from the three line and campout down low more often.Like the three but it needs to be takin in the flow we jackup way to many forced lately and Sheed going 1-6,1-11 ain't cutting it.Sheed is a better player than he has shown lately.Slump or whatever I'd consider throwing Dice in to start the way Sheed has played.Shake it up he shouldn't get a free pass,play like crap come off the bench til you refocus.

Need to really get back to work and get the bench some heavy burn even if it costs us a few games it will payoff in the playoffs.I smell a trade coming too, Joe gots that look in his eye.
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Play some defense, ya bums.

No way Atlanta should score as easily as they did. Hamilton made me want to puke on the game-winning basket, ignoring Joe Johnson on the drive and relying on Ben to clean up from the other side of the court. Too late. All night long guys were playing off their men and allowing easy midrange jumpers, or letting their men drive by them without a fight.

Overall it's good that our guys tend to be even-keel personalities, but right now I'd like to see at least one of them go off on a Zeke-style rampage to shake everyone out of their complacency. Odds are it will have to be Ben (again), which is why I don't really buy the Chauncey for MVP talk. "Smooth" is prone to let things drift, but the team responds when Ben gets mad.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

And how... It was my pet peeve last year. I know he's banged up, but if there is one guy (besides Sheed) who coasts it's Chaunce. Sheed's just lazy at times, CB is the one who gets overconfident.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thank u for changing your avatar...my bruddah...thank u:laugh:
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

and u know what...i love Big shot, but,,,,Chauncey is no Steve Nash!!!!
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

When was the last time u saw a Piston take a charge...I miss MikeJames/Lindsay Hunter for 10 minutes a night!
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it had to happen- our beloved Pistons in a slump. Losing 3 of the last 4.
    There were to many games only won because Chauncey took them over. Now that he doesn't, the Pistons lose.
    Where are the others to step up when needed? What about the interior D? Their fast fella's been able to penetrate as will while they cleaned up the glass.
    Sheed being on the guard position, leaving Ben alone on the boards.
    But he has been weak rebounder his entire career and this won't change. And Ben can't have 16 rebounds+ game every time. There will be games we love Sheed for hitting 3s and then there are games in which he just doesn't make his damn shots.
    Chauncey's FG% is decreasing, I was hoping he'd start to be REALLY consistent this year. His TOs are also increasing.
    Getting worried...
  13. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its the DEFENSE!

Bringing in the bench won't help because they play poor defense. If we rest the starters, and play the bench big minutes, we'll be so far behind it'll take five quarters to catch up.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

According to 82games.com, the Pistons are 4th from last in the charge-taking category. Part of the reason could be that we don't allow the penetration in the first place, but it could also be that we just aren't trying very hard.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

you're right, he's better. he's in a slump right now you can see he's hurt. flip doesn't like how carlos turn the ball over a lot so maybe we''ll see a lot of lindsey starting tonight.