Pistons @ Grizzlies... December 19th

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by mercury, Oct 3, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[SIZE=+0]Dec 19th[/SIZE]
    8:00pm EST

Fedex Forum, Memphis

TV: FSN Detroit
    Radio: WDFN-AM 1130

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    VS
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game Preview

The Grizzlies coming off a win against Phoenix (after dropping 3 in a row) had success going with a small lineup of Gasol, Miller, Battier, Jones & Stoudamire.
    They have several 3 point threats that are also slashers.
    Gasol has bulked up over the summer. With his huge wingspan (7'6") he can shoot over most PF/C's.
    These are not the old Grizzlies... they have veteran players that share the ball.
    The Pistons have clear mismatches on offense with Chauncey vs. Stoudamire and whoever Mike Miller guards.

Comments on this game?
    ~~~

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

looks to me our starters are better than there starters. How did we lose both games against them last season?

3. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Stoudamire and Jones was not in this team last year.

4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Should be an interesting game since they are in top 5 in the west.

Billlups should be able to post up and shoot over Stoudamire all night. He better be. Rip has Jones numbers last year (Det-Miami series). Battier is playing 6th man recently, so would not know if he will start for the Grizzlies. Only interesting match up is Sheed and Gasol. If Sheed can stay away from foul trouble, it should be Pistons 19-3.

5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This will be a good game. A tough defensive team on the road (We'll see how the offense goes). I think the bench is key. If they start taking bad shots and turning it over a lot this will be tough to win. Hopefully Arroyo bounces back from his worst performance of the year. I'd like to see Dice or Sheed get the ball in the post with Delfino/Rip/Tay/Evans cutting to the rim on almost every possession when Arroyo is in. It will limit mistakes and if the cutters aren't open they are both money in the post anyways, so they can just go to work. Especially whoever Gasol is guarding.

6. Sheed36

Sheed36 Second Round Draft Pick

This game against the Grizzlies isnt going to be easy, They lead the league in fewest points allowed per game and have beaten the pistons in their last 2 meetings... Pau Gasol is struggling right now and the Grizz have only managed 76ppg in their last 4 games, all of them losses. If the Pistons can have a decent offensive game tonight they should come away with a W. I say if we score at least 92, its a win.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yet again i don't know what to expect. last season the pistons lost to this team twice, but that was the don't care about the regular season pistons. we lost the season series to charlotte last year, and we killed them yesterday. sheed plays good against good PF's although i wouldn't say gasol is an all star or an elite pf yet. still i think sheed will take it to him.

What i do know is that pau needs to clean up that nasty beard of his.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:laugh:

Yeah, that thing is ugly. Is he Amish?

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Spanish. I think he is going for the "genuine" Three Musketeers look.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

the pistons just can't let damon and eddie get hot from outside, and i think they'll be fine.

12. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I am really curious how we play this game. Memphis is the biggest front court we've played this year, with Shane at small forward, Pau at PF and Lorenzen Wright at center. We need to keep the rebounding close, and as long as Shane is playing the 3, neither Evans or Delfino matchup defensively against. Sub patterns will be interesting to see. And we'll need good games out of Tay and Sheed.

Fire Millen
    Free Darko

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Just Got Home From Work...

yay!!!! Pistons 32-23!

14. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Well, you are getting your answer, we are getting dominated in the paint.

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

yaaaaaayyyyy!

cud be 21-1 ....what an effort!!my bruddahs!

16. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

We escaped with one tonite. Great shot, CB.

17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

PHEW!! it took me closing the chat window, my dad not watching the game, and my buddy stopping working out combined to win this one...as those are all bad luck omens for the pistons. so you can thank us for this one :P harhar

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

warthog you get the 6th man award for the game. We thank you and the PISTONS thanks you. I think after the game Flip mentioned something about how darko could learn from your example.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

game report

The key to the win is simply that Eddie Jones had fouled out, leaving tinymouse guarding CB. In the end, we won that matchup. But old tinymouse sure had a good game. After Bobby Jackson gets back, and Ben Cardinal gets back on his feet, this Memphis team is going to be just fine.

Paul Gasol overmatched Ben a lot. What choice did we have cause Sheed was in foul trouble the entire game. Just to show how darn valuable Sheed is. Although I would have liked to see Darko guard Gasol some.

In the first half, Tay could not miss, and actually, there was nobody who could guard him on Memphis. This is the contrast between Tay and Battier. Battier is a good defender. But no height to match up with a guy like Tay. Tay is truly in a leauge of his own on defense.

CB was knocking down shots way too easy over Stoudemire. But Rip was misfiring all night. 5-15 at one point. On nothing from Sheed who was out with foul trouble. Sheed made up for that though. A shotclock running out pure raise and pray went down for a 3 pointer.

Dyess had it going in both halves. His shot is back. Way back. About as good as we have seen from the guy, well almost.

Rip was playing solid D in this game. A lot of solid D. That and this is the 7th in a helacious stretch of games might have had even this dynamo a bit out of gas.

Arroyo did fine for the game. Nothing real great, but man its good Arroyo played a good stretch of the first half. Amazing that CB had anything left to hit the game winner in the double OT period. Note, he was not quite quick enough to deliver that foul on Stoudemire before Stoudemire tied it up with that 3. Billups did swipe at him.

Tay did precious little in the 2nd half, but he did have a great block in OT and 1 score inside. Some clutch stuff there.

Delfino made some pretty good plays in the game. And he was in the game before Evans in the 2nd half of the game. As for Evans, a good play or two. But we happened to lose our cushion with him in the game in the 4th quarter. I saw things he did wrong. I will let the next guy mention them if they wish.

Dale Davis made a brief appearance. No Darko.

CB missed a long 3 to end regulation. He missed on a hook shot driving inside to end the 1st OT. But third time is the charm they say. But like I said, it was the absence of Eddie Jones, still a darn good player, that helped us finally win this one.

One amazing stat from the 1st half was our 17 points off turns compared to just 2 for Memphis. That is Billups and Arroyo doing a real fine job of keeping control of that ball. It was also mentioned that the Pistons lead the league in fewest turnovers per game at around 12. Also mentioned was that the Pistons are 41% on 3's a franchise high. CB was heard giving some comments that the Pistons knew that they could handle the responsibility of when to take or not take threes. I agree wholeheartedly.

Got to give some props to Tay too on that ball handling thing. He helps a whole lot.

Ben is being interviewd. 56 minutes tonight. Man what a game. I hope everyone else who saw the game does their best to write it up. A lot of people are anxious to read about our Pistons. GO PISTONS!!!!! And great job Ben making those free throws. Sheed better get some practice.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

LOL slippy anytime :p i've got some thoughts on the game which i'll post after some x-men legends, but i'm not gonna knock on sheed for the missed free throws when he was getting ganked all night on calls and has been shooting 81% for the year :)