Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That's kinda how I view it.
    I'd like the new owner to get a good deal so he can go out and snag a couple of top tier free agents so his hockey team wins another Stanley Cup.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you have four interested buyers, I don't think anyone is going to get a bargain basement deal on this one. Someone will have to cough up over $400 million. Irregardless, I don't think the purchase price will have anything to do with free agent purchases.
  3. BallDon'tLie

I might not have anything to do with the purchase of one or two available free agents but I think a low purchase price will contribute to the overall strategic plan of the team.

If an owner has to (in his mind) overpay for the Pistons, it could likely contribute to a strategy of cutting financial corners to become profitable. Ownership may lack the flexability to pursue opportunities that could improve the team until the "pain of the initial purchase" wears off.

If the new owner aquires the team at a good price, they may have the budget flexability to take a more aggressive path in making roster improvements.

If I go out to buy an new TV with a buget of $2,000 and I get the one that I'm looking for for $1,200; I'm more likely to take some of the $800 left over from my budget and buy a blue-ray player or a surround sound setup.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would probably get the 3-D model with goggles and regret it later.
  5. BallDon'tLie

My mother in law just bought one of those and my wife chastised her for not taking me to the store with her to protect her from exploitative salesmen.

That thing is aweful!
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hold off until Black Friday as most flat screen LCD's will be litteraly given away due to a surplus on hand.

Flat-screen TV prices to plunge for holiday season | Chicago Breaking Business

And now back to the Pistons sale..
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

9. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

One of the Bids for the Detroit Pistons is coming out of the small country, Qatar.

It has been chosen as the 2022 host country for the World Cup. Actually, it's nice to see a middle eastern country gain this honor as soccer is truly trying to be international.

Here is their soccer claim to fame moment...:)

YouTube - Qatar vs Uzbekistan: the funniest moment of international football
  10. LA Dre

I thought the US lost out due to Morgan Freeman's botched presentation???
  11. LA Dre

We know now that Magic Johnson is selling his shares of the Lakers and Starbucks so that he can be part of the team bringing a football team to LA. When asked if he would be interested in investing in other NBA teams he said, NO I am a Laker for life.....so no Magic influence in the Pistons future.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wish Donald Trump would buy the Pistons.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Always blaming the Black guy.... :tsk:
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sources: Pistons won

You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!! So the sale won't take place until after [STRIKE]the all-star break[/STRIKE] trade deadline ............ :gun1:
  15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I really think Karen hated that her hubby owned and left a winner to her, and she's intent on running this team into the ground...

the team needs to put a cut out of her in the lockerroom..... name the movie :P
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Major League?
  17. G-man

G-man Starter

There were some other comments in that article by Greg Krupa, that were pretty interesting too, such as this part;

"Earlier this year, NBA commissioner David Stern caused intense concern among Pistons fans by saying that it was possible that the sale would result in moving the franchise. The original three bidders all said they would keep the team in Metro Detroit.

Steve Ballmer, a Microsoft executive who recently cashed in more than $1 billion in company stock, would not comment on his potential interest in the Pistons on Friday. Ballmer reportedly is interested in owning an NBA team, and his name has been linked to a potential change in the ownership of the Sacramento Kings, who are having difficulty securing financing for a new arena.

While sports business observers say that moving the team would be a less attractive alternative for both the league and the franchise, the lack of an agreement to sell the team after initial bids and 30 days of negotiations with Ilitch Holdings is bound to raise concerns, again, about retaining the team in Metro Detroit."

Two quick thoughts - the first ditty from SLAM Magazine

“6 straight Eastern Conference finals appearances from the 2002-03 through the 2007-08 seasons. 259 consecutive home sellouts spanning from Jan. 19, 2004 through February 4, 2009. Top home attendance in the league each season from 2003-04 to 2008-09 except for one season where they finished 2nd by a few hundred fans. Operating profits near $25 million from 2003-2006, and exceeding $40 million the last 3 seasons. An NBA team with an iconic brand and championships spanning multiple decades (1989, 1990, 2004)."

&

"According to Forbes’ 2009 NBA Valuations, the Pistons rank 4th in value at $479 million behind only the Lakers, Knicks, and Bulls. And this lofty ranking despite the woes of the Detroit and Michigan economy owes itself largely to the afore-mentioned data…loyal fan base, strong business practices yielding high annual profits, and brand identity due to past championships."

And - as pointed out by folks in here already, if you're a Buyer looking for an NBA team it might be smart to wait until after the new CBA contracts in place.

But, it seems to me that in the Pistons case, "4th in value" under todays CBA and bleeding out dividends at $40M per season - it may serve the seller just as well to wait. The teams paid out $120M to ownership over the last three seasons?!

Nor does it make sense to relocate the team. The NBA has 30 teams spread across the country. Located in both major and intermediate markets. The Pistons - sitting in a intermediate market that has likely seen the worst economic conditions in the USA - paid out at $40M per year for the last three and at $25M per prior!

The sane, safe, sensible move, leave the "4th in value" team right where shes already proven shes worth the most - Detroit. ​
  18. Walter

I have mixed feelings about Ballmer buying the Pistons. He wouldn't fret paying the lux tax and he can't stand losing. So those all bode well for the team.

However, if he buys the team, it'll be with the intention to move it to Seattle. While it would be great to have an NBA team in Seattle for linwood, myself and other fellow northwestern Pistons fans, I don't want the Pistons to move. Besides, the deal with the move to Oklahoma was the Sonics brand will be released if Seattle got an NBA team. Therefore, if the Pistons move to Seattle, they'll become the new Sonics and the Pistons as we know it will cease to exist.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

G-Daddy, I don't think those are per year figures. The $25 million is over 4 years, then $40 over 3.
  20. Walter

That's still over $6M a year during those 4 years. Going with the $450M figure as the team investment, that's 1.3% annual return on your investment. Better than a savings account.:nerd2: