Pistons for sale?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Nemo, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

In the meantime, Pistons owner Karen Davidson seriously is considering selling the Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment. She already has had a conversation with NBA commissioner David Stern[​IMG] on the process and protocol for attracting potential buyers. Once she sells, there would be nothing keeping the Pistons tethered to The Palace.

There also has been a lot of chatter about the Ilitches making an offer to buy the Pistons and Palace Sports and Entertainment. They may have thought about it, but according to sources, Mike Ilitch is not a fan of the NBA[​IMG]. While he might be interested in The Palace, he has no interest in buying the Pistons

Looks like the Wings buy the Palace and Move to North Oakland County for more corporate dollars and the Pistons move to Idaho. :)
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: Articles worth mentioning

According to the Det News the Pistons and Wings are "likely" to share a new facility Downtown.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Articles worth mentioning

That would be cool. I wonder how this selling biz will play out.
  4. max

max All-Star

There you go. Guess a new owner was important after all. Our future is in Sterns hands. Hopefully he will not let anyone take the team out of Michigan. This could be a good thing though if we get someone committed to seeing the Pistons win and keeping them in the area.

I don't think the Metro area has the infrastructure to support rush hour and Pistons/Wings games on the same night. They would have to fluctuate game nights during the week.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Did I not call this months ago when Mr. D passed??
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's not miss the boat on this one. We need to pool our funds together and make a $580K bid on the Palace. Everybody can paypal the money to me and I'll prepare the offer.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Haven't investigated but I read somewhere that Detroit & Phoenix are the only towns in which NBA & NHL teams don't play in the same venue. Actually, one venue would be nice cuz it seems like the Wings & Pistons often play at home on the same nights and can't both be seen on cable without paying extra for LP or Center Ice.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

no wonder that the team is put on sale. Not profitable anymore and Mrs Davidson already has inherited several nonprofitable burdens.

Mike Illitch in one of few remaining fanatical hockey team owners so for him buying the Palace means "for hockey only".
    It is no secret that Red Wings is actively targeting wider audience due to economical woes in Detroit and overall, Michigan.
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

No surprise here. I was wondering how her options would play out. Her profile and apparently the rest of the family are to uncomplicate their lives. Can't blame them. They have a huge conglomeration of businesses that are bleeding big time money.

Some questions:
    • Does the Palace (and the entertainment spin offs) show it's best advantage for the City/State as a privately owned system?
    • If they went to Stern for advice, it is moving forward and Stern does not like to move out of highly urban areas with long sport histories.
    • Are there organizations (private or public) within the State that could form a pool?
    • The Palace is private and paid for (with a solid infrastructure) : what are the advantages and disadvantages of a Renter?
    • What are the advantages and disadvantages of a foreign owner (whole or piece-meal)?
  10. max

max All-Star

Yes thats true. It has been a problem with this new exclusive cable deal the Pistons signed. I never see the Wings on reg tv either so they may have signed something similar.

Thing is, Would Piston fans be willing to put up with all the traffic and the pain in the butt parking like Wing fans do? Wing fans seem to be more hard core than Piston fans.

Yes, forget about Illitch. He is not an NBA fan. Guess we should have saw this coming when the Shock were sold. Losing money or not BD was proud of that team.

The Cavs were sold and that worked out pretty good for them. Beware of talk of the Palace being out of date or the team needing a new stadium. That could be a precursor to the team going to an out of state bidder. I don't know where else they could go, maybe to Seattle. Premature to worry about that now.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'll tell you what, the City of Detroit and the state of Mich would bend over backwards to attract the possibility of anything bringing 41 traffic jams to downtown Detroit, don't forget who the new Mayor is. She may not want to sell the whole team but the family may be concerned about bearing the whole risk alone.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't you guys remember what happened the last time Stern helped someone buy an NBA team?

[​IMG]
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You beat me to it... NBA TV has a nice piece on Bing and Stuckey.
    I could definitely see Dave Bing pursuing incentives to bring the Pistons back to the city... I'm somewhat surprised to hear that Mr. I wouldn't be interested in the team (smoke screen?)... he'd be ideal while continuing his goal of bring business and entertainment back to Motown.
    There isn't much talk about the revitalization efforts on the Riverfront.

If what they say is true about 1 of 4 kids in the city going hungry then this is much bigger than inconveniencing the burbs fans.

If we see a new committed owner that can spend with the C's, Knicks, Nets and Cavs while helping to rebuild the city it's a win win.
  14. Nemo

Wouldn't be surprised if the JOE went for that price. No tenant and 12 million in repairs needed. Sad, but true.
  15. pass99

I don't how to approach this...go ahead and ignore me...it the most obvious route.

LA, NY, Philly, etc. are all big market towns with financial backups and a whole system of dependencies that maneuver and manipulate global contacts. It is a complex system that does not include US citizens. What is this buzzing around me?

Sports is an entertainment subterfuge. What is this buzzing around us.

Cleveland and the rest of the marginals will do what they can do to entertain these margins because it feeds the machine.

LBJ is a knee injury away from an institution that can become a failed state. Likewise his removal. It is now buzzing all around him.

It may come down to who can obtain the wisest links and cultivate deep structure.
  16. Nemo

I figure within 20 years, the citizens will tire of the massive contracts given to major athletes and the sports complex will then resemble current club and minor league sports.
  17. pass99

Yes. It will happen sooner that 20 years.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not happening, in my humble opinion. I think you guys are way off base on this one.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons move out of Michigan, I'll stop watching the NBA.

If that disaster came to pass, the stupid NBA marketing machine will make it even worse. Cleveland and even Chicago will be marketed heavily to attract the ex-Piston fans. You'll start seeing Cleveland games blacked out on NBALP because they'd be considered "local" games. As if we were all spineless idiots who just stare at basketball shaped shiny objects.
  20. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

Bill D was always refered to as the managing partner, so I know there are other partners, I don't know how big a share of the Pistons they hold. I wonder where they stand, do they want out no matter what Karen D wants to do? Are they interested in buying some or all of Karen D's shares? They are all rich guys who have rich guy friends, do any of their friends want to buy in? Does the NBA allow ownership groups to reshuffle or is there a lengthy approval process? The partners have always been very silent partners but they have owned this team for a long time and they might really like it. There are also a lot of pretty old guys involved since they have owned the team for so long, they may have changed their personal goals somewhat over thirty-some years.
    I think there are a lot of factors we have no way of knowing about that will ultimately decide this.