Pistons Center Before Big Ben

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Sep 30, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Forgetting the forgettable year that Montrose stood in the lane and watched the paint dry does anyone remember who the last Piston's center was before Big Ben? This guy could actually score.

I must admit I had to look it up.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Was it Bison Dele?
  3. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

Mikki Moore? Christian Laettner?
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

He said the guy could score.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In 1999-BB (Before Ben), It was either Laettner or Terry Mills doing the tip offs. I would say that probably Mills was the center since Laettner, the whiteman couldn't jump.. :)
  6. max

max All-Star

Laetner never played center. Mills was the starting center in the year before Ben.

Then we went with the front court of Ben and Joe Smith.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

He was the best thing going until he got his revelation. Soon after that, he came up missing with his brother using his identity.
  8. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

He put up nice numbers for half a year, but holyhandgrenadeofantioch did he ever get abused in the playoffs on defense. I forget who did the schooling, but it was embarrasing how bad Dele got beat. Mighta been Deke.
  9. max

max All-Star

That was Dikembo in the playoffs. It was best of 5 back then and a strike shortened season. Hawks had homecourt. Hawks won the 1st 2 in blowouts, Pistons won the next 2 in blowouts and game 5 was close in ATL. It was an interesting series and a good candidate for a 7-gamer if they had them back then in the 1st round.

The Pistons did not make the playoffs in the prior season with Dele.
  10. hack

96/97, I think? 4 and 5 seeds, right? I remember thinking that win or lose, that elimination game was the first truly big game we'd played since the Bulls slayed the Bad Boys.
  11. max

max All-Star

That was the 98 playoffs. They played the Hawks twice. The other time was in 96 which was also went 5 games.
  12. hack

You sure? I remember the chair I was sitting in, and I only had that chair for one year...

Detroit Pistons Playoff History - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

This says Orlando swept us in 96, then we played the Hawks in 97 and 99.
    5 consecutive first-round losses, blech. If Grant wasn't hurt, I think we had a chance in that Miami series. We played them tight in Game 1, and I remember thinking that the wheels always came off in the playoffs for those Heat teams, so if we could steal one... I went to Game 2 of that series on a first date with a Heat fan. Scalped tix before the game, she cost us $20 via poor negotiations then bragged about how she stepped into to save said negotiations. I said nothing. Grant didn't play the second half, so Stack drove the lane every play. Got in a massive trash-talking fight with Tim Hardaway after the game, me and my date sort of approximated same, and then she never returned my calls again. Blessed teal era, stocked with wonderful memories...
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

14. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

buddahfan,
    everyone has a wikipedia- article about himself I guess- it's crazy how much you find there already.
    As far as I know, Dele has been declared death officially, they found his dead body so it's proven. But I could be wrong!
    Btw, he was good- after the dissapointing years of Terry Mills, Otis Thorpe (he was good, but not what you call a real C) or Montross (that guy was lame!!!), finally a solid C- back then, you couldn't hardly survive without a solid C against teams with C's like Robinson, Mourning, Shaq, Hakeem.
    I remember the Pistons were one of the worst rebounding teams back than (I think Grant Hill led the team in rebounds one year and another one it was Jerome Williams!)