Pistons biggest threat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Oh, and don't forget about the NBA powers that be and the refs. :mad:

Yep...Miami.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Eddie Jones did very well against us CONSISTANTLY, and they lost him.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm pretty sure the Heat had the Pistons in mind when they made roster moves this summer. I think if they thought Eddie was that much of an asset against the Pistons, they would have kept him. I just don't remember him playing that great against Detroit. I just remember the Shaq and Wade show.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Posey (in my mind) was brought in as a Rip Stopper. Posey+White Chocolate+Walker for Jones and Rasual Butler is a steal. They may not all fit together, but it's still a great collection of talent.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Posey is going to get too tired to stop Rip

6. roscoe36

I'm sure that Posey and Wade will share the job.

7. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think a lot of you guy's underestimate Indy. They fought like heck to get into the playoffs and took us to a game 6 with a beat up team. We still hold the experience and we no doubt will be more hungry but they have had there core together almost as long as we have.

Miami is basically starting over again and they are not battle tested like the Pistons are. They have not all been in the foxhole together underpressure before. Miami is all flash but little substance.

8. roscoe36

I think a lot of Indy and have gone on at length about their FA acquisition from Europe. But Shaq is Shaq. He's still a tough matchup and it is hard to call a team that won the most games in the East last year "all flash".

9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Micro

This will not be the same Miami team that ran away with the East. Riley dismantled that team to bring in big name hired guns that in my opinion did not improve the team. The only upgrade was Posey.

The only guy on the Heat team that needed to be replaced was Damon Jones and he really did not need to be shipped out he just has no business being a starting point guard.

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Miami the threat/ no, the Pistons are the Main Threat

Riley's moves were with the Pistons in mind-he hinted in as much calling them a "unique team" after game 6 SA. He stated that the Heat had a team that could have won a championship last year but (and catch this) that they were not a championship team per se. The Heat are tough because they have two guys: Wade and Shaq that we didn't guard well. That is why I liked what Joe did this summer with the Davis and Evans moves. He addressed those weaknesses or at least tried. Hope it will work. Yes, Indiana was remarkable last year. And, yes, Carlyle is getting better as a playoffs coach. But I really don't expect them to be that much improved this year. We have shown that we can contain Artest and O'Neal. Maybe if Artest has improved his jump shot--that could change things. We have Davis now giving us more depth vs. Indiana. Foster should not be a problem. Jackson is overrated and a liability at times. They would need Harrison to really step up big. Really, they were able to compete against us the last two years because Carlyle knew exactly what we were going to do on offense and larry obliged him. I don't expect that to happen. But the biggest threat to the Pistons is themselves. We need to improve our offense (which shouldn't be that hard to do--just change the approach a little bit) and have greater depth on defense (Davis?) with a better hold on the perimeter (Evans?, a rested Prince?)for Wade or Ginobli. If we do that, Detroit basketball will be feared--they will all be looking at us as the threat which I expect is the case.

11. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

This was posted by Big C from Hoopsworld on Detnews

Winner: Miami Heat
    Players Lost: Rasual Butler (traded to Hornets), Keyon Dooling (signed with Magic), Damon Jones (signed with Cavs), Eddie Jones (traded to Grizzlies), Qyntel Woods (traded to Celtics) Key Additions: James Posey (trade from Grizzlies), Antoine Walker (sign and trade from Celtics), Jason Williams (trade from Grizzlies)

Last season, Miami proved that Shaq is still the most dominant player in the game. On paper, the Heats roster looked average at best&until you inserted the name Shaquille ONeal. He is the one player that can change a teams outlook. He alone shifted the power of the conferences in the NBA. Even Detroit winning the title didnt have that much of an impact. With that being said, if the team had basically one star player outside of Shaq and a mix of competent role players, to improve the teams chances of advancing deeper into the playoffs, you have to upgrade the overall talent. If you take Shaq off the current roster and look at the team, it is deeper and more talented than the team in place prior to Shaqs signing during the summer of 2004. D-Wade has become an All Star. J-Will has improved as a point guard thanks to Hubie Brown and Mike Fratello. James Posey is a better than average swingman with good defensive skills. Antoine Walker is talented and versatile enough to give you enough scoring and rebounding to make you almost overlook his antics and pedestrian defense. The returning role players will again prove to be valuable, and rookie big men Wayne Simien and Earl Barron will have to wait their turns but should prove to be a critical part of the Heats future once guys like Zo and Doleac have moved on.

Now add Shaq back to the roster. Not only do you now have an upgrade in talent, but you still have the most dominant player in the game anchoring the ship. The goal was to increase talent and depth to get deeper in the playoffs. Considering this team took the then-defending champion Detroit Pistons to a full, seven-game series in the Eastern Conference Finals, the improvements made by the Heat should be enough to get this team into the NBA Finals. At least on paper the improvements should be enough. Team chemistry will be the deciding factor in how far this team goes.
    </B></B></B>

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Hoopsworld article....

I agree. If they played the games on paper Miami would win.

13. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Me too....

Yes, third me on that......

Thankfully though, they still have to go through us and our boys are gonna give them hell, and I believe we still have it in us to beat them. Just because they have marquee names at almost all their positions doesn't give them the trophy. :eyebrows:

14. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Predictions

Certainly not worried about Miami, I think they shot themselves in the foot on their off season moves. An ailing, year older Shaq equates to them not being as successful this year, particularly, when you factor in the ball hogging duo of Walker and White Chocolate and chemistry issues. The Ankle Biters will be Chicago and Washington, both are upcoming teams, however Washington lost their leading rebounder, steals, assists and second leading scorer in Larry Hughes and fireplug off the bench in Juan Dixon. Chicago could spell trouble in the regular season, they gave us fits with their high pressured defense. I think Indiana will be the only team that offers a threat, however, no chance will they win over us in the ECF.

15. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Paper games

Can you imagine that? Shaq will be a big, ol' Calculus book while Rip will be a $1.39 notebook.:eyebrows: