Pistons biggest threat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Sep 23, 2005.

1. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Miami is the biggest threat to the Pistons, and the reason is that we don't match up well with them. Basketball(as all sports) is a game of matchups, and Shaq is the one player that we have no answer for. Indy for some reason, isn't bothered by him, but he gives us fits.

Wade wasn't a matchup that would kill us last year, but this year, he will be better, and may pose an even greater mismatch. The team approach only takes you so far, and if the two stars have talent of sufficient level around them, they can take out a team.

The only problem for Miami is how long will it take to develop the chemistry with their role players required to challenge the Pistons. Peyton will do better than most think, but White Chocolate is useless, in my opinion.

The real wild cards are Posey & Walker. Walker is very underrated, and has developed an inside game that is quite effective. I give Walker tremendous credit, because it's rare that an outside player ever develops an inside game, it usually goes the other way, or straight downhill.

Who's the biggest threat to the Pistons? Miami, without a doubt.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

"Without a doubt"?

There are doubts all over the place with the Heat. But we know Indiana will be tough and well-coached. They are the team I respect most in the East, and overlooking them is folly.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Miami has a lot of question marks as far as I'm concerned. The biggest one is can Shaq make it through the season without breaking down physically. I think he's due for a major injury (not wishing it on him) the law of averages says a man carrying that much weight ...pounding on his knees..I say Shaq goes down early in the season.

Then there is the fact that they brought in a lot of "personalities" to the mix. Big question mark there.

Add in the fact that although he has been a winning coach, Van Jeremy seems to be on the hot seat with rumors swirling about Pat Riley stepping into the drivers seat.

I think Indy will outplay Miami this season.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

On James Posey

The only question mark about Posey is his health. If healthy, Miami has an excellent defender and adequate 3 point shooter on their hands. He was Memphis's most productive player just 2 years ago.

5. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Miami

I also think that Miami will have to face a different team in the Pistons this year. Why is it that no one expects the Pistons to be more dynamic and improved over last year? With Flip in the mix I do expect that we will defend Shaq and Wade with some Zone Defenses this year. With the Zone Wade's penetration should be cut down. He shouldn't get the same lanes to the basket. The Heat allowed 3 of their best 3pt shooters to go in the off-season. No more Damon Jones, no more Eddie Jones and no more Rasual Butler. Those guys are "zone-busters". Miami won't have them. I don't think we will play a ton of zone, but last year LB practically refused to play zones.

Also we should see less of Ben on the low-blocks and hopefully more of him crashing the offensive boards. I don't think that last year's offense was very efficient at alot of times. They will hopefully be improved there as well and LESS BEN IN THE POST is a good start. I think that the Pistons should be a more dynamic team both offensively and defensively this season. I think maybe Miami should FEAR US.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

actually miami doesn't match up with us. they have absolutely no answer for chauncey. don't forget this year he won't have the shackles on him. he will play offense in more than just the 4th quarter. j will and payton will get abused.

shaq is a year older and even more injury prone. miami will have to go all out to achieve home court advantage again this year. shaq will break down. even fully health we do have an answer for shaq. shaq does not like to leave the paint and play defense. no offense to ben because he will help us get to the ecf but ben must play a reduced role this year in this series. we need shaq to check somone who will score. whether that lineup includes sheed, mcdyess or darko. shaq wears down by the 4th quarter and simply can't bring it if tired.

wade is actually foul prone if you ever watch him. tay is going to abuse him in the post this year. of if he chases rip all game he will wear down. i'm not worried about wade unless he extends his range to 3 point area. we simply won't put tay on wade this year. he's too fast and is a driver. rip, lindsey, dupree or evans will stick him.

but you are wrong indiana is the biggest threat to us.

7. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

lots of parody in east

It is going to be very hard to tell what is going to happen in the eastern confernce this year. There a lot of question marks concerning both the Pistons and the Heat. I am not so much concerned with our new acquistions as I am with Flip. I think that Flip is a good coach and is somewhat underrated as far as I am concerned. In this though I feel there is going to be an immense amount of pressure on him to lead us to our rightful place which is the Finals. I expect us to be a little more productive offensively but I worry big time about our defensive identity.

Miami in my opinion has even more question marks with the additions of Walker, Williams, Posey, and Payton. It will be very intersting to see if Miami can put all these pieces of this puzzle together quich to seriously contend for a championship. Team chemistry is more important than overall talent when trying to win a championship. This year is going to be a fantastic year especially in our conference the eastern conference.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think the biggest threat to the Pistons is keeping everyone on the same page.

With Tay's deal not done yet, Ben playing for a contract, and a deeper bench full of guys who want PT, the trick will be keeping that team unity and selflessness.

When this team plays to it's potential, we are the great. This year the intensity has to be high for all 82 games.

Oh, and Posey is a really good player. I like his game. He and Battier were the two Grizzlies that I thought had Pistons DNA.

9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I think it is Indy

In my opinion, San Antonio is our biggest challenge but people seem to be staying in the east, so I think it is Indy. There are several reasons for this including their hatred of us, the fact that they are in the same division and we have to have home court on them, and they have more players who give us problems. We have more match up problems with them because even though people feel we have no answer for Shaq, he is not that big a problem because of his declining speed and health, and the fact that we can beat them even when he scores his 20 and 15. If we play him one on one, we have the players to keep everyone else but Wade under 12, and if Wade gets 20, we still win. And that is especially so this year because we will score more.

SA remains a huge threat because they already have more players who can hurt us, but they added another, plus they play in short bursts to keep their energy levels up. And I fear their 3s more. They are a real handful.

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Just to make it official.

If this forum is referring to teams that we should be concerned about:

Indy is our biggest threat in the East.
    San Antonio is our biggest threat in the West.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

No doubt Indy is the biggest threat. They are built like us and in some ways almost mirror our game plan. Miami has more fire power but they have not improved defensively nor have they plugged up weaknesses.

12. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Threat

Don't forget the Orlando Magic. They will be everybody's TREAT this season.:) Seriously, though, I believe Miami is the biggest threat. Shaq and Wade are going to breeze thru the 1st round and they'll be ready for us. I believe they learned their lessons from last year and will e healthy for the Stones.

13. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

My thoughts

Here's how I see the up coming season unfolding.

RC is a great regular season coach and Indy is a great regular season team. So, I see them following their normal script of having a great season, winning the division, even obtaining the best over all record in the East, and then promptly getting booted out of the playoffs by us in the second round once again, in 6-7 games.

Miami will get the second seed in the East and make it to the Conference Finals where they will come up short, again, by losing to us in a tough 6-7 game series.

The Pistons will finish second in the division and wind up with the forth seed in the East (NJ will hold the third slot by default). The Pistons have never been a dominate regular season team and I don't see that changing now that Flip's here. I think they will hold true to form by winning 50-54 games and have a great postseason.

After ousting the Heat in the ECF we will face the Spurs, who will have the best record in the league this year, for a rematch in the Finals. Where the outcome will be the same as last year, we lose in a tough 7 game series.

I'm not hating on our squad and it's not that I don't have confidence in our boys to bring home the trophy, that's just the way I see it.

S.A. will just be too tough for us to over come. :mad:

14. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Zozo

That was a great post, except for the end. The Stones aren't NBA Champs because they lost the LAST quarter of game 7. Some people say game 5 was the dagger ( Horry's shot after Sheed Double team). It was a huge blow, but we came back to win game 6 and were winning game 7 til the 4th Q. I believe Detroit can and will defeat San Antonio on the rematch. Duncan demonstrated that he melts under pressure and Bowen's shots were a fluke.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know Zo is true blue just as I am. I don't ever predict a champion but I like our chances.

I do think that RC will be a better playoff coach, he's still learning the job. And I think it is imperative that we win the East during the season.

Miami, Indy, and lots of ankle biters. It will be an interesting year.

16. Zoso

PRballer.

I agree with you there. How did losing game 5 lose the series for us? That's hogwash. I've never bought into that. The only thing that came from losing game 5 was us having our backs pushed squarely against the wall, where we always play our best ball. If losing game 5 didn't have any effect on us winning game 6 then how could it effect us two games later. The simple answer is - it can't and it didn't.

Remember how we lost game 5 to New Jersey, when everyone and their mother had that as the straw that broke the camel's back? Remember how devastating that loss was, after Billups' "Miracle shot" and triple OT? That loss was much more of a dagger through the heart then the Finals game 5 loss and we proved that by winning game 6, then going down to the wire in game 7.

Now why we lost that last game is left to anyone's opinion, be it LB's questionable substitution patterns in that game, Billups' hail Mary pass that was intercepted which completely changed the momentum, no Darko or Big Easy, too much Prince on Duncan, countless other things that happened in that game or that the Pistons just simply choked it away.

The truth is we will never know why we lost that game. But, rest assured it had nothing to do with the game 5 loss. All that accomplished was putting us right where we needed to be, where we always play our best and can be counted on to pull it out, up against the bricks.

You know when the Pistons are in that do or die situation and everyone around the world says we're done, but us true Pistons fans know that when we're up against the wall and on the brink of elimination the other team has no chance!

Of course game 7 is the exception to that rule. :)

17. Zoso

Micro

Absolutely and unequivocally.

I have no qualms about picking a champion and it definitely kills me to pick against our squad, but I have to go by what I see. No matter how much it tugs at my heart strings! :mad:

In total agreement with you here. I think there's no doubt that RC will improve his playoff numbers as he gets more experience. I believe that he just might end up as one of the greatest coaches to ever don a suit, when it's all said and done.

No doubt. I'm chompin' at the bit to get this thing rollin'! :)

18. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Zoso

I have to disagree with you concerning game 5. After the game 4 lost Spurs were a beaten team which was evident by Duncans dejection on the sideline needing a pep talk from Popovich. So they come back with their best effort knowing they couldnt afford to lose 3 straight games and go home needing "both" games to win series. If Pistons win that game 5 game like they should have they would have tooken any fight the Spurs had left in them away. And one more thing your overlooking. Pistons would have been up 3-2, OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS THEY WERE UNDEFEATED IN CLOSE OUT GAMES!!! They would have finished the job..:frusty:

19. Zoso

Big C

I agree that if we would've won game 5, then there's no doubt that we would've won the series. I still contend that in fact losing that game had no bearing whatsoever on us losing game seven. How could a loss affect a game two games later?

The fact is that "pep talk" did help Duncan and S.A. make game 5 more competitive, but that's all it did. We had the game won if Sheed hadn't goofed.

As you saw, the "pep talk" didn't carry over to game 6. There was no doubt that we were going to win that game, in my mind at least, as it is with this team "That's what we do." :)

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The envelope please...

Tough Choice. Who will be tougher? Indiana or Miami? I keep vacillating between the two. Two excellent teams.

Miami has great potential to implode, but seeing is believing. Until they show signs of that, I'm giving them their due. As a Piston fan, I think it is only fair to take into account their achieving the best regular season record. We complain when others overlook the Pistons accomplishments, so I think we need to give Miami their due.

Indiana is going to be a bear, no doubt. They overcame a lot last season. I'll go with Miami, but would not try to defend that choice over Indiana because Indiana has shown they are tough. :behindsof So that's my choice.

I think another team is going to do better than expected too. Cleveland or someone. I don't know who.

It will be VERY tough this year, but when I look at Detroit's recent accomplishments over the last 3 years and their current roster, I think that I would be very nervous if I were any team that meets them in the playoffs.:scared: