Pistons At Heat ~ February 12th, 2006

Discussion in 'February 2006 Games' started by Superstarov, Oct 2, 2005.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

(10:43) [DET] McDyess Foul: Offensive (4 PF)
    (10:43) [DET] McDyess Turnover: Foul (1 TO)
    (10:01) [DET] Billups Turnover: Lost Ball (3 TO) Steal: Anderson (2 ST)
    (8:52) [DET] B. Wallace Rebound (Off:1 Def:5)
    (8:49) [DET] Team Turnover: Backcourt Turnover (TO)

That's why we couldn't score. Guys were throwing the ball away left an right. Delfino missed one shot at the shot clock buzzer. I can't see how he hurt the offense. Especially considering that he only touched the ball once. Sounds like a problem with Chauncey forcing the issue, and Dice commiting about 30 offensive fouls (it seemed).

The reason the Pistons lost this game is because Wade scored 17 points on consecutive possessions. Delfino was stopping Wade. That's all that needs to be said. You make it sound like Tayshaun was helping our offense. The difference is Chauncey made a couple shots when Delfino came out.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Lee, CB and Rip were not nailing their shots to the end. CB was turning it over when he tried to slash and Rip has a tendency to go cold in the 4th or at crunch time. I don't have any answers. But in this game the Heat wanted it more.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Prince hits the last shot this thread has a different flavor.... hey they outpayed the best competition in the East for 3 1/2 qtrs on their court...
    Most of the tough road games are behind them now...

Hell yes we miss EC!... make the phone call Joe... we can always trade DD... it's cold and heartless but it's smart business.... however we can beat the Heat as is.

Several lessons were learned today.... throwing Darko out there at Miami after being porcupine ass for the season isn't one of them.:doh:
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It appeared to me that Tayshaun's last shot wouldn't have counted anyways. It was still in his hands as the clock expired.

And I agree about Elden. He was always good for 4-5 minutes of hearing very little from Shaq. Elden was the only guy that could keep him from performing his usual dunk-drill that he does against Ben/Sheed/Dice. He just pushed him 3-4 feet outside his comfort zone.
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I apologize...I didnt gethome until 6:00Pm, so I watched my DVR(still a wonderful thang!!). No chat today....all 9 losses when I wasnt able to go PFC!(pistonsforumchat, squares!)...I am so mad for so many reasons>>>.
    1. wade is GREAT and he should have been ours. I saw him at Marquette U. when 90% of yall didnt know who he was and then we pick this foriegn butt-hole named darko???!! If a player in my hood named Darko , came on 'my court', I wouldve bloodied his face. He's a punk , a nobody...and we would be defending champions for the next 6 years with wade or Bosh ...or even Hienrich!!!
    2. NO FLIP....NOT ONE good coaching move in the second half. The LOs' were great and got punked by their coach on National TV. Bill and Rip are my boys but they still aint ALLTHAT, like Wade. We couldve used some serious bench play in the start of the 4th...BUT, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    3. nO WAY tHE hEAT CAN BEAT US IN A 7 GAME SERIES and certainly not at home. we gave them 75% effort and 25% coaching and still almost won. What i hate was that we are now only "1" game up on the Spurs who showed how to win a game u r supposed TO WIN!!!
    4. Tay better get some rear end by the playoffs or I will be In His face from now on!

I could go on...but......that last quarter has hurt my feelings too bad..:tsk:
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am still very angry about this game. Not that we lost, but how we lost.

I read somewhere (too much reading trying to find some closure to remember where) that with LB you had to play D to get on the court, with Flip you have to play "O".

This myth about the Pistons playing good defense has to be put to rest. They play defense in spots. There is no emphasis on defense from Sheed, CB or Tay. Their effort waxes and wanes game-to-game. The only guys playing with any defensive pride game in and game out has been Rip, Ben and recently Delfino.

How the heck does Wade score 17 straight without an adjustment? Without a timeout? Tay was left on an island, an island we know he cannot master as evidenced by last year's ECF.

In fact, with the exception of a few good regular season games, Tay's last great defensive stand was in the 2004 playoffs against Kobe. I'm not picking on Tay. I don't doubt he's giving a solid effort, but finishing the game with no fouls, and the coaching staff doing NOTHING to take Wade out of his game was STUPID.

Flip better get his act together. He better find a way to reign in these guys. CB's shot selection and offensive execution in the 4th Q has taken a dramatic step backwards since the New Year.

The players win and lose the game, but Flip is not making use of the bench (again no Hunter, after Flip mentions publically that LH will get run), Delfino taken out when all we really needed was to lock down Wade a little longer. Davis and Dice absent late in the game as usual, and THREE players with 40+ minutes.

And people think LB was too short and hard headed with his rotations...

I can handle losing to Utah, NJ, even Cleveland at home. I can understand dropping a game against Atlanta, and Indy is always scrappy without their main pieces.

But this was the Pistons game to win, and they folded. No stops, no execution, no clever substitutions, nothing. It was like watching water drain out of the kitchen sink after the dishes are done.

Still very, very mad. Either DW was proof positive tonight that Joe screwed up drafting Darko, or that Flip is not an adequate replacement as coach because this is the part of the season when the boys should really be hitting their stride and the rotation should be somewhat sorted.

Is Flip in over his head in the Eastern Conference? Are the starters running the show?

All I know is that we have dropped our last 4 against EC contenders. Miami, Indy, Cleveland and New Jersey. And that makes me ill. We've got 9 more games against these teams.
  7. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

I am upset with Flip and not only for witholding the guy who was doing a job on Wade. When Shaq has energy like he did today, Ben can't even slow him down. Sheed was very little better. Dice was like a rag doll to Shaq. Davis was totally ineffective. I am pissed at Flip for not trying Darko, just to see what would happen. I recall Darko effectively fronting Shaq. There was absolutely nothing to lose by trying this. Flip seems like a very stubborn person. We better figure this out before the playoffs cause if Shaq keeps his energy, he and Wade would be big trouble.
  8. max

max All-Star

Lot of disturbing things. Too many Turns, Too many offsensive boards for Miami.

I don't know about not defending Wade. Seemed like he was defended well in the 4th he was just hitting tough shots.

Disturbing trends recently. Not enough D, Not going inside enough, taking too many 3's, too vulnerable on the glass. Lost 3 of 5 now.
  9. roscoe36

Sorry, not quite done yet.

We got outboarded. Sure it was by a small margin but it happened again. Turnovers? We lost 13-4. Two starters combine for 8 points (Tay and Ben).

Dwyane Wade is a turnover machine. He had zero. That means no ball pressure. To put that in perspective, it's the FIRST TIME all year that DW has not had a turnover. Heck he's only had 5 games with only ONE turnover. This is a guy who averages a very solid 3+ TO per game.

Don't even get me started on the ageless wonder, Gary Payton or that Rip took only 2 shots in the 4th Q as our most consistent (and highest %) scoring threat.

Micro's angry Box Score link

No, the sky is not falling, but man I've been saying for ages that someone needs to push Tay for minutes, that he can't defend quick guys, that we need to work Hunter back into the lineup ASAP and it's starting to show signs of cracking.

Man, Flip had me totally onboard until recently. Now it looks like he's been coaching on autopilot. Hell, I could tell the Pistons to shoot whenever they have a shot. It doesn't take a wizard to do that.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Micro,someone needs a beer or a nice massage... it's all good bro (no I ain't patronizing.. just hepin' a friend)... this is a gr8 team... and a solid coach...did LB have this kinda record?... let's save the serious stuff for the playoffs.
  11. roscoe36

I'll take the massage. I just had hot chocolate. :)

Appreciated. You have been the voice of calm and cool reason. I've noticed. ;)

I've tried to keep it together when stuff has bothered me. But tonight, the boil came to a head. Maybe I'm completely off my rocker. Most losses have been discussed here with little passion. I'm seeing stuff I wish I wasn't seeing, or rather stuff that I overlooked when we were running all over teams.

Fact is, this squad can't play halfcourt with Flip's system. The execution is terrible. And they're not getting the stops on the other end like in seasons past. Like I said, I wish I wasn't seeing it, but it's happening...

I hope and pray that LB is further demonized this offseason as the Pistons roll to a title with Flip. Honest. Damn LB. But at this time last year, post brawl even with the coaching fiasco, this team cranked it up another notch and started taking names for their $#^! list.

If HCA is the goal, we better pull our bootstraps up. Spurs are traditionally a very tough second half team (and they are showing it again). At this rate, we're funnin' and gunnin' and still might not win HCA in the Finals.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Anger is great, just shows what a great fan you are.

I absolutely agree that the rotations should be sorted somewhat by now. To me, Flip has wasted the season to this point on that score. Something about chasing regular season wins. And to me, whether you agree or not, the attempted inclusion of Evans in our rotation has not helped the process at all. In this game, Evans played four minutes. He had no role at all in this game. He has had no role in any game we really cared about.

But here we are, team turmoil as far as the rotations go. Not one fan knows who will or will not play the next game off the bench. Dyess might play 15 minutes, or 30. Arroyo, anywhere from 4 to 15. Delfino, Evans, Davis, Hunter, maybe none at all. Or anyone just might have a big role all the sudden. Who knows. For sure, listening to Flip will not give you clue one.

So what now. Simple. Forget homecourt. Do what Hubie Brown would have done. Play everyone extensively, from the rookies on up, and see who can contribute what. Then sort it all out. Flip still has plenty of time if he starts now. We need about 5 more wins to ensure we make the playoffs. Any more than that is just gravy. Lets get the team ready and let the rest fall where it may. Personally, I believe if we played the bench extensively, it would lead to more wins not less.

CB, in general, should be coming in for the final 6 minutes of the game, after a good long rest. This is not a pro-Arroyo post. Nope. You can play Prince at point for all I care, but your starting point guard need not get overused to the point he can't make good decisions down the stretch. This is a mental game too. Tonight Billups may have some physical energy left in the tank, but I doubt his mind was that into things after getting zero rest in the 2nd half of the game.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, I just read the 2nd part of your post (Micro)... some solid points there...
    About Ben & Tay dissapering... no question LB got more outta Ben... this was noticed today against Shaq... he basically didn't have to work on "D" today... I'm not advocating Ben becoming the focal point (like LB tried) but LB brought out the untapped potential much better than Flip... it got Shaq in foul trouble almost every time.
    As for Tay.. he's coming off a couple real nice games... I'll cut him some slack for this one (other than wussin' out on helping on Shaq)...there's definately an opportunity here for the next time we meet these bastards.

Hopefully the team came out of this somewhat healthy (that's still up in the air) ... Lookin' forward to a Nets azz kickin' on Tuesday.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Bruddah HQ: You get my vote for best recap.

Micro: I agree 101%

Someone needs to come up to the team and tell them that they ain't the champs. Lets get back to playin' D fellas!!
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Damn .. knew I shouldn't a taken Lee off the ignore list... I stopped reading when he was blaming this on Mo who played like 5 minutes tonight... whatever hater.
  16. Laimbeer_84

Laimbeer_84 Second Round Draft Pick

bah we looked terrible down the stretch other than a few nice shots. It had me pissed :frusty::frusty: for a while. But these are the pistons and they're gonna get a win before the all star break and then come back focused and ready to smash the competition. btw next game is vs the nets and jason kidd's kid looks like an alien and has a mustache at age 3! I hope he makes it to the palace so I can laugh at him when j. kidd blows his lame kiss at the free throw line and they show the obligatory shot of his wife and kid (i know its mean and vain but I hate j. kidd and as a result his family feels my hate too!).
  17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Damn, just saw that last shot by Wade again.. I don't care if you're Artest... nobody coulda defended that better that Tayshaun... that Wade kid is a serious talent.

Guys this one is in the rear view mirror... good motivation for the future... nice slap in the face for some lazy play at times (hello Sheed) let it it go.. we got bigger fish.
  18. max

max All-Star

Micro - I was mainly pointing out the offensive boards 14 to 9. Thats 5 more shot attempts and I bet all of were from Shaq stuffing back in missed shots.

Overall with the offensive boards and turns Miami had 14 more shot attempts than we had. Free throws were about equal 18 to 21 with Miami taking 3 more.

You are just not going to win too many games giving up that many more shots - most of the disparity was in the 4th quarter I would imagine.

All that and if Tay would only have hit that wide open 3 we would have won. With 2.whatever sec's left it would have been nice to have worked out a better 2-pt play but that 3 was a shot Tay should have made.
  19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

I agree Flip hasn't subbed well. Nash gets his mandatory rest to start the 4th, and Chauncey needs it too. Even if he's not tired, it's a mental refresh, and gives a different look to the other team ... gotta keep them on their toes. I also think Dale Davis is going to need more practice against the big fella in the next 2 meetings - he's looked like a man's man in previous games, but he was defending Shaq like Ben/Sheed. he's there to bang, not back off, and someone's gotta tell him that.

But I like to look at the positives, so let's do so:

- 3 guys scored in the 20s today.
    - 11 of 20 from 3-point land
    - tayshaun grabbed 10 boards
    - billups had a solid game
    - mcdyess shot the lights out
    - arroyo played solid again, bench held their own
    - delfino proved again he is an excellent defender, and can guard the quicker/stronger players in the league like wade - if nothing else getting to see that is key for the inevitable playoff series
    - we were up by 14 on the road against the 2nd best team in the east going into the 4th quarter
    - prior to this game we were 6-1 against division-leaders

and on a sidenote it's a pleasure listening to hubie brown instead of bill walton's ramblings or espn's 48-minute lovefest of the pistons. hubie sticks to the game and provides valuable insight.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Warthog... Warped minds think alike (you too Motown) ...Agree with you, Hubie is much better on the ears than the guy who experienced the 60's too much :^) ...all around solid post.