Pistons at Celtics - Novermber 3rd 2006 - 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'November 2006' started by max, Nov 3, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We'll see a lot of bench tommorow then. Memphis is horrible though since there 2 top big men are out. Good game to let the bench do their thing.

Liked what Sheed did for us. He bounced back and remained calm and gave the Pistons a near 20 and 10 game. What CB and Rip did better than scoring 47 was getting to the line 19 times and making 17 free throws. Chauncey can always muscle his way to the paint and Rip can drive right by defenders. There is no reason the backcourt shouldn't get inside. Tay did good. He only got 12 points, but he got 7 boards 4 assists and he prevented Pierce from having a great game. Nazr did very well especially in the beginning. Delfino and Dice crashed the boards well the only Piston who didn't do too good was Flip. I'm looking for the starters to only play 24-28 minutes tommorow, and a better effort by everyone off the bench.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

32 and 17 from S&N front court DHQ.
    Noted your negativity to FlipM.
    Solid 4th Q
    as for minutes those guys were right at 35 and 36 not too bad.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What?? Nazr had 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 16 minutes! He had to of played more than 16 minutes.
  4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I believe if you check Flip's history you will find out that he is even more of a streak shooter than Hunter has been throughout his career. Hopefully Flip will be able to contribute other things on those nights when he can't put it in the hoop.
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

ESPN's box score has 22 minutes for Nazr, which sounds about right. I don't think he played at all in the 4th quarter.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's still very good for 22 minutes though.
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, he had a nice game.

Assists-to-TO ratio was outstanding tonight for the Pistons, and their shot selection was great in the second half. Outrebounded the C's 48-44, with a 40-34 edge on pts in the paint. The first half was kind of ugly, but they committed ZERO turnovers, which kept them right in the game. Third quarter was better, and then the 4th was outstanding, with Sheed and Rip leading the way.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Nasr looked good. (I hope this was real)

Early Dyss and Sheed were still too stiff but picked it up later. Billips is letting his man drive too much. Still a few too many layups but the defense was way better. WE need a live, young big in there to help...

Chauncey and Rip are two nice weapons offensively. Sheed is just starting to warm-up. But our best offensive threat is Prince. The reason. Watch every time he gets the ball. The other team panics and sends people down just in case Tay backs them in. Tay is our one guy that will consistently draw the double.

Murray has been unimpressive...

They look a little more like the Pistons that we have known...
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed and Dyess really showed some pride tonight. Those 2 played hard. They have to get used to stepping up on a regular basis down in the trenches.

Rip is really tearing it up too. Let's be sure to appreciate what he is doing.

But the most important thing to realize, is that so far Nazr is playing to 70% of Ben's level at 33% of his salary. Not a bad pick up. We got screwed in the short run, but the ammo and flexibility will come in handy.

Did anybody see that Bulls loss? Bibby hits an absolute prayer 3 from the corner to cut it to 1. Then the Bulls fail to inbound the ball after a timeout. Then Sac hits a baseline jumper to take a 1 point lead and win. Very unlikely comback with 30 seconds left.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Forgettable 1st half, great 2nd. Flip needs to learn how to reduce starter minutes in the front end of a back to back. Murray brings nothing to the Pistons. Delfino looked solid, again. Rip is DA MAN. JMax is really starting to grow on me. And Dice is DA MAN.

Waiting to hear from all the guys who've been bashing Delfino's shooting. Wonder what they think of Hunter's, Murray's, and JMax's shooting pct after 2 games.
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ouch, Flip Murry was 0-5, 0-2 and 0-2 tonight in 22 minutes.

Everyone is entitled to an off night or two, especially coming to a new team. But I just hope Daddy (aka Flip Sr.) doesn't continue to give his son decent minutes if he doesn't start earning them soon.
  12. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Flip n Flip, Senior n Junior. Wonder why Flip Senior is so stubborn. He keeps telling the media that he expects Delf to play 20 minutes a game but 2 games into the season, Delf has yet to play more than 15 minutes even though he's playing well. Yet, Flip Junior does not get yank when he's not playing well. If Flip hates Delf so much, why doesn't he trade him away?

Jmax should be getting more minutes the way he's playing. Reward the players, Flip. Starters are playing too many minutes again especially on back to back games. Starters are not getting younger. Are you trying to burn them out before the All Star break this season?
  13. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i thought you had to "earn" the minutes first. oh wait that only applies if you are a young euro player. in my opinion it's time for fino to start eating flip murray's minutes. delfino has played well for us flip hasn't so far.
  14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm agreeing with bballjay. Reward Delfino early and set the tone for the season.
  15. max

max All-Star

If the Pistons can start a game right then Delfino can play more. I thought Murry played a lot better last night. Had no points but he ran the team pretty well when he was the backup point. Only had 1 TO when he tried an interior pass and that was understandable typical PG error.

Maxiel got into a game when the frontcourt guys were all playing well. That has to be ecouraging for the bench.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

On the game...
    • Solid effort from the starters
    • Bench performed well when they were in the game. Special shout out to J-Max, Delfino and Dice for legitimizing the second unit
    • Flip looked horrible on offense/defense. Solid with ball handling.
    • Nazr in my opinion has shown up the most during the regular season. He has the most pressure to perform and has responded with solid play. Definitely a bargain.
    • Sheed looks like he took this game personal. Great effort by him to bounce back from last games dissapointing performance. Unfortunately, he looks out of shape again so I'd be interested to see how much effort he puts into this back to back
    • Tayshaun is really showing all the elements to his game. Thank you Joe for making sure we got this guy signed
    • Defense still looked average and if we don't improve we will struggle against the powerhouses this year
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know I'm only repeating what has been said already- but I wonder if Flip is schizophrenic? During interviews/press conferences he always talks about involving the bench more, giving minutes to Fino, rest the bench and so on. And as soon as the season starts, he's playing the starters close to 40mpg and Fino rides the bench, even if he plays solid.
    I simply don't get it- last season should've shown Flip how worthless the regular season record can be. I know the team's bench isn't the best, but he should try to make it playoff- ready at least. Right now, given their experience, I wouldn't trust in Fino, Maxiell or Murray (ok, I wouldn't trust him if he played 35minutes a night, because I remember his performance last year against Detroit very well).
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Calm down guys. He'll probably use the bench more today. Flip needs to stop playing the 1. He's a scorer and he'd do much better at the 2. I think the Pistons should keep Blalock in the 15 man roster. Lindsey won't play much till playoffs, and if we had Blalock we could keep Flip at the 2 and Delfino at the 3.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In some ways it really is a simple game. Move the ball around and don't turn it over and even shooting badly you can score 100 points. There were a number of things I thought LB was wrong about, but he sure got this one right.

Team looked pretty good for the second game of the season especially considering the limited regular rotation time in the preseason.

Nazr - Fouls still mount up quickly (would have fouled out if he had played 38 minutes), but shot the ball well, rebounded, and seemed to be more active on defense. The big men still aren't sure how to play together though.

Sheed - Great bounce back after the debacle the other night. Shot the ball well, took the right kind of shots. If this was his average game you would be very happy.

Prince - Seemed kind of out of the flow of the game to me. Not sure Flip's offense has figured out what to do with Tay.

Rip - What can you say - very nice game. Was even going to the boards early and pushing the ball up the floor.

CB - Couldn't shoot the ball for the world, but went inside time and again. Eleven assists, did not once turn the ball over. Guards rule.

Dice - Great boardwork in decent minutes. Projected to 36 minutes he would have come in with 11 points and 13 boards. Didn't turn the ball over, but looks unsure of what's going on with Nazr on the floor.

Murray - Why is he here again? Didn't produce and didn't seem to be putting in much effort either.

Delfino - Unfortunately stuck at the lost 3 spot. Rebounded very well in a short stint. Projected up to Tay's minutes he would have come in with five points and 10 boards.

Although there weren't many true fast breaks, the Pistons did at least push the ball up. And after the slow 1st and 3rd quarter starts played some fairly decent defense.

Minutes continue to be a problem. I don't see any changes in the rotation minutes-wise from last season so far. Flip is going to have to figure out how to substitute in the first quarter or this isn't going to change. A couple of guys need to come out around the six minute mark to enable any sort of flexibility in substitution later. I know that's tough given how slowly the team starts, but if you log a third of the starters minutes in the first, and it's a close game in the second half you have no choice but to play guys in the high 30s. And we all know what eventually comes of that.
  20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

This may deserve its own thread. Is Flip simply a liar? Or is he insane, schizo, obsessive compulsive, in denial, ect. ect.

He talked about how great it was to be able cut the starters minutes because the bench played well. And how he had to force Rip out of the game, because he didn't want Rip complaining about being tired at the end of the season. Did Flip look at the minutes? Rip, Sheed, Billups, and Tay all played 36+ minutes. Where's the cutback in that? Delfino got 15 minutes? Huh?

Flip spent the entire summer saying he'd cut back starter minutes, develop the bench, and he's doing neither. Darko got more time last year than JMax is getting now.