1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Pistons at Bulls ~ December 3rd, 2006

Discussion in 'December 2005 Games' started by Superstarov, Sep 19, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The challenge is finding a main scorer for the second unit so some of the other guys can fall into line. In the current vacuum, I think Evans hopes he can be that guy ... but he can't. He's sort of a more athletic Keith Bogans--most effective when he knows his place.

What I do like about him is his offensive rebounding. He'll scrap around the basket, and we haven't got a lot of that.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great recap! Always great to get the live point of view.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Message to Darko

Yeah, but is Darko getting the message? The guy is a mental midget. No mental toughness at all.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i knew it was going to be sheed that was going to make us have a comeback i wasn't sure about tay, and dice because the pistons were on a back to back and sheed had smaller pt against the knicks so i thought he would have the energy to get us back. great comeback that crowd was dead silent after that. next we face the much better warriors and clippers. which is a week away.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm just glad sheed was schooling nocioni and laughing about it

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

review of game

Evans did not do so bad in this game. Yes, his adventures in ball handling all ended badly. But he was plus 5 for the game. He contributed some strong rebounding. And the next thing I am about to say says both bad and good about Evans. First, with Evans in the game, our momentum stopped after a very strong run extending from the 2nd quarter to to toward the end of the third. We had missed 6 straight shots and the lead had shrunk to 14. But Evans canned that three. Then his assist on a fast break, followed by a triple by Sheed, put us up 22 with 7 minutes left in the game. So, the triple by Evans did help seal the game for us, but I am wondering that if Evans had simply not got into the game at the end of the 3rd, if we would have needed the triple in the first place.

Time after time, as we bring the ball up the floor, Evans is absent. What you see instead is maybe Billups bringing the ball up being supported by Sheed. Its not very pretty just using one guard to bring the ball up. A bit too easy for the other team to stop our momentum toward the basket.

And although Evans does get some bounds, he could get more. He tends to find one spot and camp out. With no movement, he is not going to find ways to dart inside the defense for offensive bounds. And with no movement, he is not making the other team move with him to negate his three point shooting ability. Basically, he is not moving without the ball. And when he does move, its slow. He needs to bring some energy. Get moving. Find picks. Get free along the three point line. Then dart in at the right moment to contest the bounds. Basically, just move.

The most striking thing I have seen the last few games is what Prince is doing with ball handling. He has gotten very aggressive on scoring. This includes driving the ball inside a lot. And his teammates are spotting up when Prince drives in, and Prince is consistently finding them for open threes. Whats making all this even more effective is that Prince at the same time is hitting his outside shots too, making the other team have to play him for the outside shot. Of course, this frees things up that much more for the drives, forcing the other team to have to rotate to help, leaving those three point shooters open. Great stuff.

Ben Wallace had a horrid game on offense, consistently mishandling the ball. But I sure liked his defense from this game. Challenging outside shots full force, trusting his teammates to do the rebounding. Playing guys out away from the basket, stealing the ball or knocking it away. And of course, in that 3rd quarter, he was just tough against their bigs trying to operate inside. Even though he just played 25 minutes in this one, he was a big factor, especially in that 3rd quarter

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Q, how different is Mo's game when he is the only bench guy in there with the starters as opposed to with several bench guys on the court?

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

i understand that our bench doesn't look too good, but i think they are actually better than we think just the starters make them look bad since they know each other so well. if the bench plays more together they will get better.

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Evans and the bench

Some great posts on Evans by all. LA Sam, I agree that Evan's use will be in a very specific role. But I worry too, Micro, that the drop off in calibur from the first team to our bench could be an achilles heel. My greatest worry is Chauncey getting in early foul trouble. Arroyo can play but I worry about an untimely turnover followed by a me-first jumper (I have noticed those tendencies--if he is patient he also has talent. Lee, your view of Evans this last time is accurate but that means that his role is to be limited per LA Sam. I also agree Lemonpen that Evans is probably not best at the small forward. I agree that Flip is testing the bench player by player. Lee, I too have noticed the change in Tay. He is playing at allstar calibur now and is a bear to defend. We basically have an all all-star first team which is amazing in this day of the salary cap. Micro, Delfino seems to have game so I don't know why they are not giving him a go??

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If the playoffs were starting next week i'd worry but we've got several months of the season to go. If Delfino keeps exciting us with his play, he'll carve a niche for himself. Darko could still develop. Darko's gotten 5 minutes of meaningful game time. This is a first really. This should have happened sooner but it didn't and we're stuck with his slow development time.

There's something to be said about having the best starting 5. Other teams might have 2-3 great players. Rotating in a 6th or 7th...you're generally taking out someone only marginally better.

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Delfino

he played well last night flip got him some pt, now lets see what he does in future games.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's what the coach needs, if he puts Mo in for Tay he wants Dee on a SF. Not working? If he goes in for Rip he wants a shooter. Might work?
    Let JMax rest Tay. I think Tay is Happy with his new contract!!

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

remember that guy who put hinrich ahead of chauncey, hinrich sucked i'm surprised gordon did bad, he's a pretty good player better than hinrich or duhon he should be a starter.