Pistons 1st Round Game 2 - Sixers Wed Apr 23 7:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 21, 2008.

1. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

They were impartial, but came across mostly disinterested to me. There were some seriously long stretches where they jabbered on about the Lakers, Celtics, the MVP race, etc.

2. PistonFanInCavsTown

Now that was the kind of effort I expect to see out of these guys! Win or lose, I can stand by a team when they play as hard and intense as the Pistons did last night.

Although the rotation was short, I really liked the sub pattern in this game. However, I'm not sure it would have played out the way it did if it weren't for foul trouble and Rip's temper tantrum. One thing I really liked was that except for garbage time Stuckey was always paired with a starter in the backcourt.

By the way, what was up with Rip's tantrum? Seemed like a bit of an overreaction on his part. Nice way to stay on the ref's good side.

3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

"No More Mr Nice Guy" Was Alice Cooper in the stands?

Maybe the solid punch in the nose finally woke up the beast in all of them. Remember the Sixers did that to the Lakers with AI and Mutumbo.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whew.

Nice concerted effort both to get to the rim and to actually score once there. Tay & Rip made a living going to the rim. It would have been nice not to give Philly 35 chances to score at the line though.

Nice to give Rip some extra minutes in the 4th. His hip may be right, but his game is still a little off from the long layoff before season's end.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I didn't read the posts or see the game but I'm sure that Flip got a lot of credit for this win. I know that this group of posters didn't lay all the glory at the feet of the players. I"m sure after the ROOOOOOOOASTING that Flip got, that he was praised for his coaching efforts. I can at least see that sombody honored Flip by using his face to count the win. Whoever did that, thanks for giving Flip all the glory for this important victory. I'm sure he coached the team into better shot selection, based on the high shooting percentages.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think this was the result of a cost-benefit analysis.

IIRC, Philly is the worst FT shooting team in the "L", so that negates some effectiveness from such volume.

And sending them to the line sends a message, while controlling tempo.

7. dba

Those crafty coaches with their spreadsheets. Once again I have underestimated them...

8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I get NBA-TV. Quinn Buckner and Steve Martin called the game. I prefer the pistons announcers. They were okay. During the playoffs NBA TV use their own announcers. You do not get the local feed.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Was at the game last night. Sat in section 211. There are 20 seats in a row and we had 4 people in our row. Lots of room to spread out. Now for the game.

Jarvis is horrible. He is a monkey wrench in the machine while he is on the floor. He dose not move with out the ball on offense and he cannot shoot if he has to move at all. If he gets the ball and can go straight up with it; he has a chance of making it but he is brutal. On defense he is a liability. He cannot stay in front of anyone. When he is on the floor he either fouls or gets the bigs in foul trouble backing him up. The other thing that happens is the flow of the game disappears.

With all the fouls and stoppage in play; the rythm of the game goes in the dumpster. It becomes a stop and go flow that is hard to play in.

Afflalo needs to replace him for the few minutes that Tay needs to rest. This is the only thing I think Flip needs to improve on from last night. I am assuming he was trying to knock the rust off of Rips game and that he will not play as many minutes in upcoming games where we have a large lead.

10. PistonFanInCavsTown

He only played 5 mins. in Game 1, and 9 last night (about half of which was in garbage time). I think Flip understands his limited usefulness.

You're right that we have to sub for Tay at least a few minutes each half. I was glad to see a 3-guard lineup (CB, Rip, Stuckey) for a bit in the 2nd half to rest Tay. At this point if AA is in you'll get better defense than with Hayes, plus AA can make cuts on offense and finish when he's moving. Seems like a positive on both ends.

11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The other advantage is the ball keeps moving. When AA is in the game our ball movement is crisper. It may be in part because if he is not wide open when he gets the pass; he is going to pass the ball instead of looking to make a move past someone.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

whew! nothing like a win to wash out the angst. We can win 3 straight and be in good shape for rnd 2. c'mon fellas! it only gets harder from here on out!

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If Dyess didn't score a point he still would have been huge. Play of the game was him going up against 2 defenders early on to tap the ball of the glass (Shades of Darko) to Tay for a put back.

I had to start playing with my son to get the scowl off my face with a few minutes to go in the second quarter. Didn't Illadelph get the lead down to 4 when they were shooting 30-35% to DET's 55-60%? It seems to me that they go out of their way to needlessly trap someone and end up giving layups away.

Why doesn't Carney play for Philly? I think we'll see a lot more of him.

If we watched Rip with the same critical eye as Hayes, this board would be flooded.

I agree that a rotation needs to be sorted out. If Flip is this reliant on certain players now against 7th seed, what happens if/when they advance?

If DET lost G1 because they hadn't played a meaningful game in a while, how does taking the starters out with 4 to go in the 3rd help?

Sheeeeeeed!!!

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess is the best AOTG guy we have had since Darko left.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You serious?

Rip has been our leading scorer for how many straight years? Multiple all-star selections. His total production is 2nd, only to Billups. Scored 20+ points 25 times this season. 28 games with 5 or more assists.

The only thing Hayes does well is shoot an OK percentage and Rip even has a significant advantage there.

Rip/ Jarvis
    FG%- .484/.431
    3P%- .440/.376
    FT%- .833/.750

16. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I wonder if Mo will make some lineup changes. Philly bench outscored the starters by A LOT.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, there was a lot of giving back as many points as he scored. I thought he played pretty sloppily myself.

18. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well that's a relief. the palace was rockin' and the pistons never took a play off. and look at the results - the starters got to play fewer minutes and it was a blowout. 3 more times and on to the next round. maxiell is an animal, dyess was even coming out on the pick-and-rolls, and everyone was focused. stuckey was controlled and concentrated. that's what we need to see.

not much else to say, but you guys might be interested to hear that amir got the loudest ovation out of anyone entering the game. when he came in for the first time people were cheering like crazy and happy he was getting some minutes...reminded me of darko except amir can actually play basketball.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm glad the crowd was into it. Too bad the team couldn't muster up that kind of effort when Webz was in the house.

20. dba

There are some weak parts of Rip's game. He's a little scary on the break with the ball, and his defense comes and goes. He wants to be the Hunter of old at times, but doesn't quite have the hand and foot speed to get it done. And perhaps he's a little too sure of himself at times.

Still, all that stuff TaS said, and he is still the best mid range jump shooter in the league. And I really liked the way he took the ball to the rim last night. Plus, he's worked himself into a serious stand still three point shooter, particularly from the corners.

The part I don't get is why the team doesn't seem to run any of the plays for Rip that they used to - coming off multiple screens for a 10-15 footer. That was his strength, and one of the places they could always go to get a decent shot when they needed it. But, it seems to have fallen out of the playbook.

P.S. Sheeeed!!! indeed.