Pistons 1st Round Game 2 - Sixers Wed Apr 23 7:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 21, 2008.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We are playing ourselves into playoff level. We are still a bit out of rythym actually, despite the score. Tay and Sheed were big. Tay is growing up finally it seems.

We need to stretch this team out. So Dyss's jumpers worked. Also, Chauncey needs to actually shoot more jumpers against this team. His drives are still poor and we will need them in later rounds.

Last two years we started great and sank. This year we are building into the playoffs.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good win. The starters played good hard tough basketball. Our key bench guys got some time. The team is still a work in progress though. The rotation is still not set, not really functional. Tonight, the starters played way too great a percentage of the first 3 quarters. If it had been a tight game, what would have happened in the 4th quarter. Would Flip have kept a bunch of tired starters in to lose the game? Amir and Afflalo did play, but they have to play in the 2nd quarter if we are going to keep going in these playoffs.

Some good things happened. Tay got real aggressive, going inside and scoring right over Philly. Repeatedly. Rip got a lot of shots up, and nailed quite a few, scoring 20. This is significant, his first 20 point game since return from his hip injury. Sheed scored plenty, and plenty inside. He started out hitting about 4 of his first five. Then stepped out and nailed a triple or two. (I only remember one going in.)

Dyess steadily kept nailing that outside shot of his. Better yet though, he scored inside a couple of times off offensive rebounds. Another good rebounding game for him and a lot of points scored.

Billups was fairly quiet, except for a stretch in the 3rd quarter where he bunched together 2 triples made and a conventional 3 point play to help bury Philly. We enjoyed a 28 point lead at one point in the 3rd.

Stuckey got sub of the game with 5-6, 2-2 at the line. Thats two outside shots made and the rest going inside. Sometimes quite impressively. Sometimes fancy, like that double clutch floater.

Amir scored well on a couple of pick and rolls, and then a sweet looking hook shot with range after zooming across the lane. He made about half his free throws.

Maxiell did not play much in the first half as he picked up his 3rd foul not too far into the 2nd quarter. I remember the dunk and a block from him for the game. (He still played long enough to give Dyess and Sheed each a brief rest.)

Afflalo did little except what he does best, make it hard for anyone to shoot the ball on the perimeter.

To be clear, neither Afflalo nor Amir entered the game before the game was well in hand. Still, they played the whole 4th, (Amir some minutes in the 3rd quarter) and the lead held at around 20 well into the 4th. They did the job, and gained some experience against a Philly team that did not quit trying to well toward the end of the quarter.

Of note, we went with Stuckey at backup small forward in the 2nd half, with Hayes not getting back into the game until the game was completely decided. In other words, Hayes only got garbage time in the 2nd half. For the game, Hayes did make a couple of shots, but in all he hurt us pretty bad by being on the floor. Philly attacks him something fierce when he is in there. (To be clear, Rip played well into the 4th with the subs, along with Afflalo and Stuckey. Amir and JMAX were the two bigs.)

Discounting Hayes few minutes in the 2nd quarter, we just went with a 7 man rotation in this game up until most way thru the 3rd quarter. Dangerous. Lets see what the next game brings. (To be clear, Stuckey spelled Rip and Billups a bit each, JMAX spelled Sheed and Dyess a bit each, and Hayes spelled Tay for a few minutes.)

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

This was definitely what the doctor ordered, but the main difference from Game 1 was that the Pistons...dare I say..."hit some shots"? They shot 55% for the game! The Sixers scored 90 in the first game and 88 in this one, but the Pistons upped their total by 19. They were very aggressive getting to the hoop, and Dice was red hot with his J when the guards were getting doubled.

Another obvious difference is simply that they showed up in the 2nd half. They were up 51-38 at halftime of Game 1, and 53-36 at halftime tonight. But there was no blowing the lead in this game.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The defense played great in the first half limiting the Sixers to 18 pts in each quarter. Once the 20 point lead was was established they let up a little, but the Pistons did exceed my goals with 105 points and 26 assists and a Victory!!:whoo:
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have to disagree somewhat. Tay was not just "hitting some shots." He was taking it strongly to the rack, getting very high percentage shots. Sheed kept going inside. Good, high percentage shots. Some of Rips points were to the rack. Billups had that conventional 3 point play attacking inside. Dyess got some agrresive rebounds and putbacks. Stuckey was going inside too. Thats a lot of going inside, vs. a team settling on luck. Dyess did hit some shots to give some validity to your observation, but he actually did not shoot that many outside shots last game.
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, they were getting good shots, which always makes a difference. Although I did see one blog post from McCoskey saying that the Pistons had missed 14 layups in Game 1!
  7. LA Dre

After blowing the 13 pt half time lead game 1, there was some concern in my mind if the 17 pt ht lead was safe, but after they increased it midway thru the third. I relaxed and let nature take its course....:gun1:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good game, good friends. Nice win.

LMAO, I just saw slippy's win counter banner with Flip's face on it! :pound:
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What a game by our starting five. Sheed set the tone early with dominating post play. Then Tay upped it a notch by relentlessly pursuing the rim. Dyess rebounded hard in game 1, but this time he doubled his intensity and was on fire with his patented FT line extended J. Besides some forced drives down some dead-end streets, Rip was also ultra agressive.

But the best part was holding AI to 1 FG and 0 rebounds. Isn't this guy an all-star?

The zoo crew was fine, but it really didn't matter much at that point. Stuckey got some quality minutes and came through with aggressive drives. Hayes sort of blew... again. Hit a few shots and did absolutely nothing else.

All in all, a very fun game to watch with an unusually high number of easy hoops for our team. I don't know what the points in the paint # was, but it seemed very high. Also, when Philly wasn't getting hustle points and put backs, their shots looked terrible. Except for boxing them out, which is tough to do, our D looked amazing.

Player of the game = Dyess.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure Afflalo was the difference in this one. :)

Either way, the Pistons didn't hit the snooze in the second half. Glad they showed up. Better late than never.

Was very excited to see Amir in there.

Great job, slippy, with the counter. That Flip head is classic.
  11. LA Dre

Difference between game one and two

Game 1 >Pistons shooting 32-82 assists>Three pt shooting 4-12 >PIP 39> assists 16
    Game 2 >Pistons shooting 45-82 assists>Three pt shooting 4-12 >PIP 47> assists 26

looks like they were consistent in the number of shots..they just fell in the hoop tonight.:hoops:
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Right, Dre. It seems like the difference was just that they continued to execute in the second half instead of going ice cold and not finding any ways to score.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would be easy to say that we got better quality shots tonight, but with 14 missed gimme's in game one, I'm not sure it would be accurate.

All five starters shot 50% or greater. All in all, we had 7 players in that category. That's hot!
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Our perimeter defenders actually tried in this game. When Chauncey gives effort on defense as opposed to not, the difference is so glaring you almost feel like you're watching a completely different player.

Like Lee mentioned though still a 7 man rotation. Back-up SF is still an issue for Flip even though we a # of options (AA,Hermann,Amir).

In tight games, that rotation won't cut it. Against good teams it won't cut it. AA came in and immediatedly played great defense. Not many teams have a weapon like that and to not use it is just unexplainable.

I have a feeling Philly will come out with some fire in Game 3. And if Lou Williams gets off, let's see if Flip makes an adjustment.

Sheed was fantastic per usual. Tay was agressive. Rip was good sans a few bonehead plays. Dice was on fire; though that shot is not always reliable. He did do some work on the O glass. In this series i actually think Dice is a better option at times than Max. Max just gives up too much height.

Amir needs to play more. Such a great weapon on the pick and roll. No Lindsey; not coincendentally Stuckey played better.

Chauncey was quiet, but controlled the game well. Also had a good burst in the 2nd half.

To win the next two games in PHIL, i think we are going to have to get much more out our bench. I liked the min tonight. I feel like 30-35 is good mark for the starting 4. Skewed again b/c it was a blow-out. I'd like to see that distribution in actual close games.

AA needs to take some of Rip's min. I think part of the problem is not just Flip, but Rip out of all our players HATES playing less. But Flip is the coach; he needs to act like it.

Use the bench. That's what will be conducive to a long post-season.

Hopefully we see this same type of effort in Game 3.

edited to add;

And a continued effort to get PIP.
  15. LA Dre

Corrected to removed duplicate wording
  16. max

max All-Star

Curious. For you out of towners. What feed do you get on NBA tv? The local Detroit coverage or the Sixer announcers?
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max,

There was Buckner and don't know the other guy's name on NBA tv.
  18. LA Dre

Tonight we got Quinn Buckner and some Joker named Steve Martin:nerd2:..basically a neutral broadcast team. Durng the regular season you are subject to get one of the participating teams local broadcasting team, but during the playoffs, NBA TV sends in a non-affiliated sportcasters to handle the broadcast duties...

Surprisingly Buckner was impartial tonight. Of course when he has done Pacer games in the past, he has ragged on the Pistons just like he would rag on the Fab Five when he provided color play-by-play doing Big 10 games in the early 90's...
  19. max

max All-Star

Thanks. Be nice if they would show both and give you a choice.
  20. detteam

detteam All-Star

I think there should be a red circle around #12.