Pistons 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 17, 2008.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Quote from Billups:

Suuuuurrrre, you don't. Gee, I think I've heard that somewhere before...
    Get over yourselves for goodness sake!

2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

" HELL. I MIGHT JUST LET U GIVE FLIP A ...........D, AND STUFF THIS JELLY DONUT WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE! LARD BOY!"

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I CANT REMEMBER THE GUY'S NAME playing Gomer pyle, but I know he was the same guy who played Edgar the bug in Men in Black. I like this diversion. After all, it was only game 1. Remember when AI and the Sixers beat the Lakers in Game1?
    As my bro Vader said "Game 1's dont concern me , I want that "SHIP", not excuses!:darthvader: it it boys: da dada da dada da dada DA DADA DA DADA DA DADA! DA DA DADA DA DADADA DA DA DA DADADAA......

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I believe this is all your fault! Why? Where's the countdown to X off on top of the page? Help us LAWD, help us.

5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

SEEEEEEEEEEEEE?.....:pound:

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

OMG! I was all hyped to get that back on but right now I'm a little too miffed.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it's amazing to me. that one single quote shows that the pistons still have not learned their lesson. you've been there before? you mean like losing to inferior teams the past 3 years? putting yourselves unnecessarily in a hole? yeah?

i mean, that arrogance just dumbfounds me. you just lost game 1, AT HOME, giving up a 17-point swing in the 2nd half, and you make comments like that? did you not hear the palace booing your effort? how about taking the blame for missing 3 straight free throws and a wide open layup that would've put your team up 3 points with 2 minutes to go?

all you have to do is take a look at how maxiell played vs. the starters and you can clearly see that this team cannot win a championship as long as the starters keep up this attitude. if they played with maxiell's level of effort they would've beat philly by 25-30 last night.

8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Why when looking at the boxscore do I see our players at either close to 40 minutes or close to zero and the Sixers all pretty much around 30 except for two?

My biggest complaint with Flip was not the amount of minutes he plays the core; it is the amount of consecutive minutes he plays them. He really needs to take a look at making an assistant responsible for smacking him in the back of the head with a clipboard if any player exceeds 11 consecutive minutes. There is no reason that any player this year needs to play a whole quarter. We spent the season getting our bench some minutes to prepare for this. Don't wait til game 4 to play them and then poop all over them for poor play when they haven't played in a week.

Keep them involved or it will be a waste.

9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agree. Remember that stuckey has not played with hunter...the second quarter gave flip the idea that playing hunter was a good idea, he has not played all year, why do we have to play hunter. GO with dixon, when his shot is falling he is great, see what dixon can do. There is no need for hunter other than the fact that joe dumars wants him to play. Yes he is good here and there, but in the long term, hunter hurts team morale and team chemistry.

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I slept on it, and even i'm even more irritated than i was yesterday. If i don't see AA and Amir play tommorow, and the starters not playing 40 min, i swear i'm going to spend the money to get courtside seats, fly out to DET, and yell at Flip Saunders in Game 5 (if there is one).

I'm still dumbfounded at the fact that he abandons EVERYTHING from the regular season and all of a sudden thinks it's 1/ a great idea to play hunter extended minutes, and 2/ have Stuck/Hunter play together and have Stuck defer to Linds.

AA/Stuckey have continually shown to be good together. Their collective speed, ball handling abilities, and comfort level is obvious to even toi a blind person.

11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

You won't see AA and Amir play tomorrow.
    The game is on Wednesday.
    :stirthepot:

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What if the Pistons aren't to blame for this loss? Maybe they're just not good enough to win? We are starting to sound a lot like them when we say that they're tired or out of rhythm or whatever?

How many times has the Pistons best backcourt in the L supposed to have been a HUGE advantage for them going into games and series? How many times has that proven true? It is more than the fact that Willie Green outscored Rip. It is how easily he scored his hoops versus how hard Rip has to work for his.

When DET won the title in '04, Ben was a force defensively and Sheed was a sort of overall force. LB was a definite force also. Billups and Rip were basically role players. They are being asked to do a lot more now and really haven't shown that they're capable. If you want to talk about a championship, then these are your folks. If you want to play for a championship please look elsewhere. You can't play for a title when you're being soundly beaten by the Sasha Pavlovich's and Rajon Rondo's of the world. Clapping your hands together in disgust after you're blown by for the 10th straight time isn't a skill.

I thought there was a chance that Flip was going to replace Hunter with AA. I was hoping he'd have Hunter apply pressure to whomever he was guarding, follow that up with AA's pressure and size and then replace him with a rested Rip to finish them off by running them off of screen after screen. That is probably asking too much from Flip though.

Throughout the year people got excited when Flip let someone like Max or Amir finish games and used it as evidence that he "trusted his bench/youth". To me it masked the fact that he never figured out how to use everyone at the same time. It is either A or B for him. Maxey played well yesterday so that means Dyess couldn't play. You think if Dyess played a little in the 2nd half that they might get more boards? You think they might have been able to wear Illadelph out if the bigs rotated in & out?

When was the last time that CB, Rip and Sheed all played well in the same game? If I had to play DET I would add a dwarf to the roster because DET would abandon everything to go at the dwarf. It amazes me how few plays this team makes for one another. It is especially amazing considering the many mis-matches DET is supposed to have across the court.

Once and for all, can we please put to rest that DET is $$ in end of game scenarios? You might as well be talking about the Fort Wayne Pistons at this point.

13. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Ernie: Spot on. Your dwarf comment was something I have been thinking for a long time now. The Pistons get so much credit for playing this "team ball" without a superstar, but I argue this team plays more "playground" then any other in the league. Joking around, shooing left handed threes, not taking everything seriously, trying to go after one defender that is perceived as weak, ton's of three pointers, bad rebounding, weak perimeter defense, etc. The Lakers that have multiple superstars play as one cohesive team. Every play looks like it has multiple options and really everyone knows their place. Of course they have a great coach.

14. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

They may not be good enough to win it all, but team that won 59 games during the season playing their bench extensively shouldn't be losing in round 1 to the 7th seed.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Well it looks like i'm flying to DET then. :)

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

They used to play team ball.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two words: Flip. Saunders.

18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Rewatching the game. It appears that Linds was just on the floor for too many minutes. Stuckey did a nice job while he was in but needed more minutes. He should have played closer to 20 minutes.

AA needed 10 of Rips minutes and 5 of CB's.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The starters have not played tough minutes in quite a while. I don't agree that we blew the 15 pt. lead since that lead was a bit false--one run by the starters late in the first and increased by the second unit.

There may be many things wrong with Flip and the team but I would wait until Wed. We weren't going to sweep this series or any other...

The last two years we started great but ended up gasping. This year this squad will mold itself as it goes. We need to be ready for the 2nd round as Orlando is no longer a chump team.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know it's really sad when i watch the Cavs game and Mike Brown looks like Chuck Daly next to Flip Saunders. If Flip were on the Cavs he'd play everone 40 min, and probably use Damon Jones and Wally Szerbiack extensively. Hell, Ben Wallace would still play 40 min a game b/c Flip would be scared to bench him.

There's just no need for the starters to go back to playing 40 min, none whatsoever. If this continues in the 1st round, i shudder to see the rotation if we make it to ORL.

Your putting 5 guys out there together who are all playing big min at the same time. This starting unit is so overhyped and so overused.

I'm actually dreading WED. I don't want to see the same BS all over again.

edited to add; Check out the Cavs boxscore/min distribution. It's a thing of absolute beauty.