Pistons 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Re: 1st Round Game 1 - Sixers Sun Apr 20 6PM

2nd that! WTF is with that? you're not developing the bench, you're developing your team.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That guy got shot by the guy from Law & Order. He's dead. Too bad.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's been chronicled since 2005...even the NBA TV guys analyzed this loss for the entire first half of the Hawks Celtics game and came up with the same conclusion each time.

Sorry Webz that you had to endure the "embarrasment" in person. What's up with bowl being half empty?? Not time to panic yet but maybe they should give out T Shirts saying No more foolishness, time to go to the work.

Thanks for the Photos.....Sorry you didn't have a picture of the Pistons walking off hi-fiving themselves with a victory:sssh:
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty-much sums it up, doesn't it?
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think we played poorly. Philly has been a very good team over the 2nd half of the season and they had a good game.

Here is what we did right:
    Sheed was awesome
    Maxiell was the topic of their halftime speach
    We got to the free throw line
    We blocked shots
    Made AI go 4-15
    Got Dalembert into foul trouble and he only had 2 FG
    Our bench beat their bench and their starters

The bad:
    Stuckey didn't score or even go to the line in 13 min.
    Rip 5-17
    Billups only 3 FG
    Hayes = nothing
    Lindsey had 1 steal, but 3 fouls trying to get another one.

All in all, I thought we brought an average game that should have been good enough. But Philly hit some shots to keep it in reach and then they converted every mistake we made into easy points down the stretch.

My only real complaint is that on the 2 critical crunch time possessions we went with our 2 least clutch starters, Tay and Sheed.

If Philly beats us 3 more times, they deserve it.

Someone mentioned the fact that we were rotating in untried patterns. That was a little strange. My fear that Lindsey would be used for real minutes came true. At one point late in the game, CB, Rip, and LH were all in at the same time, which I think is a terrible idea.

I've reached a point with this team where I feel like it is up to them and I'm not really stressed about it like I used to be. If they really want it, they will get it.
  6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

it was more like 80-85% full, but either way that was disappointing. i'll keep it short. the whole minutes/rest thing is ridiculous. the starters had all season to rest, and the timeouts were LONG and even halftime was 19 minutes!! stuckey and lindsey played excellent in the 1st half, but stuckey played poorly in the 2nd half because he deferred to lindsey rather than staying aggressive.

amir would have hurt us this game, unless you wanted him to start and get rid of dice completely...because max was a beast, theo was good, and sheed was an animal until late in the game. afflalo would have defended no better than lindsey.

there were a few key problems. chauncey and rip played zero defense on the philly guards. they roamed freely and did whatever they want, with no body or pressure. also, rip is selfish and doesn't even look like he fits in with the pistons offense anymore. he looked like he was trying to get his own shot because his points were low. dice was terrible. the real blame for the loss should be on chauncey, who blew 3 free thows AND a wide-open layup late in the game. we should've been up by 3. and the starters didn't come to play at the start of the 3rd quarter, and that killed us.

in short, the starters all sucked except for sheed and they didn't take philly seriously. i find that amazing because you'd have thought they learned their lesson this year. if they don't win 4 straight, then there is no wakeup call (even a game 1 loss) in this world that will make them play with urgency on a consistent basis.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Zen of Micro.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oh and yeah, the pistons were booed as the game ended. i took part. they had to know that this was completely unacceptable.
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice summation and some thoughtful insights that need more exposure.

Thank you for your effort.

I will criticize Flip this time for the insertion of Hunter into the mix. This will not work. The flow is not there and Stuckey needs a familiar flow to gain confidence. His asset is in penetration and he goes no where merely acting the role as a ball handler. Stuckey needs a companion who has quickness, which makes him quicker. See my next comments.

This may surprise many people, but the key person for backup guard is Dixon. He is fearless and never stops pushing. This is the type of player that the pistons need in the playoffs. You must have a consistent push that keeps constant pressure and will not allow others to zone out.

The key is still three players: JMax (coming into his own and should be starting), Hayes and Dixon.

Flip now has to quickly adjust and steal one in Philly. This is the only crew that will stay even with their youthful athleticism. You have to slow down Miller who is very much a heavy-type guard similar to CB.
  10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The problem with this team is not entirely dissimilar to the attitude we as fans have developed when threads and posts in response to losses end up being labelled as too "negative" or "mean".

Even Rasheed Wallace stuck his foot in his mouth a few days ago in a rant that mirror images sentiments of a great many of the average "fanboys" out there.
    So the Heat, Cavs, just notches in your belt huh? Last time you checked, you dismissed them all?

Last time I checked they dismissed you, Rasheed. Last time I checked, you fellas don't even have a belt to notch. It's in another city, getting notched by another team.

Problem is, this team, just like some of its fans, still hasn't realized that. So what we get now is a bunch of overconfident, switch-flippin, fat cats. "Coached" by a guy that isn't strongwilled enough to give them the kick in the pants they've needed for years now.

Bottom line, this isn't how a championship team operates. They'll probably beat the Sixers. Big deal. This still isn't a championship team.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Meet the new reason the Pistons lost, same as the old reason the Pistons lost:
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amen brotha!

I agree. IMO, Flip is a pushover.

I didn't like that either (ok, that isn't 100% true. I kind of liked it at the time, but then after he missed that bunny, I really hated it).

Agreed. The differences are especially apparent out of timeouts. You couldn't pretty much guarantee points out of a LB timeout. With Flip, it usually looks like a game of street ball.

I don't think that anyone was as good as LB at calling run stopping timeouts. Flip just lets the starters play through mistakes and takes the bench out at the first sign of one.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wouldn't really put much stock into that. They've always been a fairly loose team.

What they really need is a few good LB practices.
  14. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

Amir, Aron AND Herrman should play not just for their skillz, but for their ATTITUDE.
    Because attitude was problem (again).
  15. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

i will take Lee's words. Our guys are humans, TD is super hero. We don't have superstars, we have a team.
  16. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Thank you! I was "booing" the TV, but I doubt they heard. :yellowprison:

What killed me was watching 4 starters play the entire 3rd quarter, then seeing Flip pull out this killer lineup to start the 4th: Stuckey, Hunter, Tay, Maxiell and Ratliff. Defense was OK, but no offense. Stuckey should have taken every opportunity to drive the lane, but instead it became Tay-on-5.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This is also my take on the game. We will win in 6 games, but it will be a LOOOONG series...
  18. roscoe36

I feel like it's my job to put on the happy face, but I have to agree with TaShawn and Cloudwalker.

Something tells me these guys don't have enough pride to care until they are down 3-0 to Philly. They are really that full of crap. And yet if they want to, they can be the best team in the league.

I also agree with linwood. A little. If you agree with linwood too much, he starts getting really emotional.

Philly played a good, playoff road game. They fought hard, and won ugly, which is exactly how 7 is supposed to beat 2.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Point 1: I understand WHY you might feel like that, but it really isn't necessary. I think we all just would prefer honesty.

Point 2: Agree, although it won't go so far as down 3-0 to Philly. This will put a bee in their bonnet. They will come out of Philly 2-2.

Point 3: :pound: (I pretty much agreed with Linwood too on this). Two things we didn't expect today...Pistons lose and we both agree with Linwood. I need a drink! :burp:
  20. roscoe36

It's only 9:30 AM here, but as my uncle says, "There has to be a bar open somewhere in the world right now"