Piston Fan's Aren't Going to like it!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Jul 10, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

These Greg Anthony predictions seem like a "make-up call" on the way he called the season. He kept predicting the Pistons through our playoff meltdown. He's probably trying to regain some credibility by spinning his picks. Cavs for the LeBron Hype, Heat because they won the title, Nets I don't know why, Bulls because they now have Ben.

If we look like we're going to make some noise, Anthony will be back on the Pistons trolley. Unless he was only emnamoured of our defensive identity and Big Ben. :doh:

I'm convinced none of these national sports analyst types would ever rise to the top unless they were all major chameleons that change their stripes at the drop of a hat.:ohwell:

I think we can all look forward to similar spin at the beginning of the season. Make-up for all those early accolades last year. The national sports media machine is nothing if not predictable. :mad:
  2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

just remember that ben was a constant malcontent all season.. that has to get old if you are a teammate.. it was always all about ben. maybe the other players will play a little better. maybe the rookies will get time. maybe flip will get more respect now the the big crybaby is gone.. everyone is too eager to see the worst.. we can win without ben.
  3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree totally!!!!!
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Hardly "constant". The thing you're neglecting is that Ben NEVER uttered a harsh word before Flip got here. And why would a great player want to raise speculative eyebrows around the league in his UFA year? Ben was incited to say things he never would have considered in the past.

Don't pin it all on Ben...the blame can be spread all over.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

For sure, Max and Micro, even with Ben, the window may have closed prematurely due to the rules changes primarily. And, we have Shaq to go through every year--he was suppose to be on the Lakers! No Shaq in miami and we are in cruise mode through the East. But to think that at the all-star break, we where on top of the NBA-- to where we may be now-- is hard to take.

Right Micro, losing Ben was not in the plans. We could even go back to losing Okur as paving the way to re-sign Ben. It is hard to get excited about Nasr for Ben, a 36 year old Hunter, etc., or where we are now.

It's too late, but we should have spent some money, brought in Bonzi and kept Ben and I could at least imagine another championship or at least a major run.

If we were going to explode the core--and really--that is what may take place and already has to some extent--I would have really gotten bold and made a Chauncey (plus who?) for Iverson trade and tried to exploit the new rules. I would have fought Stern and the NBA marketing team on their own ground. Let's face it, they had had enough of the Pistons.

As much as anything, the bogus rules where defense equals a foul did our run in. I blame Stern more than anyone. But Flip and Davidson are not that far off. Yes, Ben did get a big head about his game, too.

Where are we at? Who knows? I doubt were are an elite team but obviously still a very good team. A lot will depend on the rookies. I am not confident in most of the players mentioned in trades. Any ordinary player will not make us better.
  6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

This is Flip's shortcoming -- and Larry Brown's strength. Say what you will about Larry and his money demands, but he knows how to manage NBA players -- and some of them can be very difficult to manage. Larry kept all the starters happy, while getting the most out of each, and had this group playing as a team.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

You're preaching to the choir with me.

Flip's helped turn this team to his familiar 'first round & out' philosophy.

JMO...but after being knocked out in the ECF & Ben leaving...can you think of better inspiration to the team than to have the coach that COACHED them to the promised land return?

BillD...'bite the bullet' for the better good.

Yeah...pipe-dream...:ohwell:
  8. max

max All-Star

I wasn't the rule changes. For a team to fold like the Pistons did something was really wrong.
  9. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

Meija is the biggest hater.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Even Charles Barkley was on the band wagon. he said it was the Pistons to lose. And we did.
    LaPis good post, but something else must have stopped us from shooting our usual 45% [?] as a team.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max and Three, undoubtedly more did happen. I mean it was a sort of a melt down although I have seen this in pro sports as we all have--it wasn't just a Piston thing. Ben hinted at one thing often overlooked. Teams were pointing for the Pistons. He said Miami was gearing for us from day one and he said that from the get go in that series, he felt it (their energy). When you are on top, you play longer and EVERYONE gets to study your game. It happened to the Lakers where they went from near invincible that second championship to where everyone was pick and rolling them to death.

Joe said that the top six went as far as it could go without help (a bench?). Still, the younger guys: Rip and Tay were battling to the end. Everyone else was suspect one way or another. And we were outcoached to boot.

I will say that no way we should have gone down to Miami like that. Part of the problem was Ben's insistance (my guess) in guarding Shaq. If we use our other two bigs to foul Shaq and use Ben for Wade minutes, we compete with those guys.

But on offense, we were hopeless at playoff end. Chauncey couldn't get into the lane for anything, Rip got into the lane only to get blocked or throw up something off balance, Sheed was totally gone and Dyss was bottled up. Only Tay had room. And Rip in that last game took it upon himself to score.

Was Billips tired? Do we need a penetrator--is this a problem that will haunt this team? I think a little of both. Maybe a Maxiel down low will relieve the pressure on the offense this year. But I hate to count on rookies. Nasr at least will draw some attention even though his shot is suspect but to watch him travel down court compared to Ben is a loss.
  12. max

max All-Star

I am not sure where to post this as other threads are simimiar.

We remember Billups as being tired and having an extremely poor series.

Truth is except for game 6 he really did not have that bad of a series ( unlike Ben Wallace ).

18.0 PPG 7.2 APG were Billups stats against the Heat. Notable though was his .259 shooting from behind the arc. He were used to seeing him carry us though stretches with 3's that were not there in that series but Billups found other ways to score and his stats were not that far off from the reg season.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Max, BBeen couldn't be BBen without lax hand check rules. The rule changes hurt us. But not as much as bad shooting and bad ball movement.
    Skiles is gonna try and buck the system! I'll be keeping an eye on those Bulls.