Piston Fan's Aren't Going to like it!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Ten for the ages: Biggest stories in 2005-06
    By Tony Mejia
    CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9548611

5. The end of an era in Motown: Pistons fans aren't going to like it, but their run as kings of the league is over. After winning a title, reaching the Finals and flirting with a run at 70 wins, Detroit ran out of gas during the playoffs, turned on coach Flip Saunders and, in the final dagger, saw defensive anchor Ben Wallace bolt to Chicago.
    The Pistons will replace him with a solid player in Nazr Mohammed and should have success given all their talent, but that aura of invincibility they carried is gone. What was starting to look like a potential dynasty ended abruptly.

I took out the doubleclick ad and replaced it with the article title.

2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Tony Mejia is almost stupid and uninformed enough to be a Pistons beat writer.

But, that said, he's probably right.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Kings of the league? Pfff. the only king of the league is the champion and that hasn't been us since 04-05

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

back then this could have become a dynasty, though. Sun was shining so bright in 04, when the team had everything that was needed to compete on a long- term basis. Who's to blame?

5. Slippy

bill D? Capitalism? Perhaps the whole thing can be blamed on the 'best starting 5' fallacy. Once the bench left to pursue their careers, the pistons haven't had much success. They get close and but they just needed a liiiiitle bit more to get them over the top.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree this potential dynasty ended about as abruptly as the lakers did in 2004. That being said, we shouldn't fall that far though unless the players show and up have the same attitude as Ben did about Flip and mail in each game.

7. Slippy

This could be a blessing in disguise. I think we are one Amir Johnson from competing at the top. But what, we'll be a middle round playoff team. Its not like we'll fall back to the lottery.

I like the young talent. The only problem is that they are all at roughly the same experience level.

The biggest obstacle is our coach...

8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Mejia was riding the Pistons' jock as hard as anybody at midseason. Hell hath no fury like a columnist proven wrong. But that "aura of invincibility" didn't do anything for us anyway, so who cares? A little genuine disrespect might be just what the team needs.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This team isn't a dynasty. Actually I think you can put this team with the greats, but only when they get motivated unfortunantly:ohwell:.

10. PistonsDude

PistonsDude Second Round Draft Pick

I actually will enjoy the Pistons going back to the underdog role, it suits them alot better.

11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

When next season is done and only then will it sink in. I have no crystal ball, but I think that fans will figure out that a window has closed. Dre, a little bit of the Laker scene played out in Detroit. That made it harder for me to take. Maybe it is too hard to stay at the top. Unless Maxiel or Amir can play big, I don't see how we are going to be better.

12. max

max All-Star

I think it may have closed if we had re-signed Ben Wallace or not. At least this way Flip will be forced to branch out and give the young guys a shot. Maybe even develope a bench in the process.

With 4 all-star quality starters and a deep bench we may go further than most think. This could be another year of proving the experts wrong.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From your keyboard to our eyes, truer words may never have been spoken.

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

This current Piston team will still be the 2nd or 3rd seed in the east. I read an article by Greg Anthony of all people who picks the Pistons to finish behind the Cav`s, Heat, Nets, and Bulls next year.

A title contender? Not on paper, however, stranger things have happened. An injury here or there (to someone on another team of course) a couple of our young guys step up, we may be in the Finals again.

15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I hope the guy eat his words and choke on them. I am with the theory that that insists eating humble crow, playing the underdog role, disrespect from the media wis just what the doctor ordered.

We will not fall that far. The Pistons and Flip hopefully learned from experience. Disregard trying t shore up as many wins as possible, develop your bench by playing the bench, don't let the four starters dictate how much time they want each night, in other words IMO Flip was intimidated by the starters.

16. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``This current Piston team will still be the 2nd or 3rd seed in the east.''

Hard to get excited about that, given how much talent's leaked outta here since 2004. We sacraficed a lot of talent for a second ring that never came.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very true. And had we resigned Ben to a monster contract, it would have been that much harder to open it back up again, due to the financial constraints we'd be under.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't mind not re-signing Ben if that was always the agenda and not posturing, but surely there was a better plan than Joel Pryzbilla or Nazr Mohammed as a fall back.

19. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I don't really think the sky is falling.

Have some good "moves" passed us by? Surely.

But the good news is that if you watched the last month of the season + the playoffs with no payoffs, you know that something had to give.

What we've got here, my friends, is a shake-up. And I think that is what the Detroit Doctor ordered. At least the Pistons have made some moves. And have been somewhat active. They had deals on the table for 3 different guys, and signed one. They have good young talent waiting to prove themselves.

I don't think it will be all that hard to support this team, especially if the young guys get some PT.

If you want to see what it looks like when the sky falls, become a Red Wings fan.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm going to wait and see. If Delfino, Nazr, and some of the rookies are good next year I don't think it's over.