Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.
Play calling and pace. We're not doing anything until player X scores.....
I have started writing this during the second half under the assumption we lost as there is no way we could win this game playing like that - despite Phoenix having one of the worst lineups in the league. I really don't know where to start but lets try it out....
- Maxiell: I have to swallow my words on him starting - only one of two starting that deserves it at the moment
- Knight: Started to get his own and cutting more when it all went to crap, but should have done it earlier. I understand his focus at the moment is learning how to get his team mates into the game, which is good, but these are the games his scoring is needed more. Down the road he should probably be taking more shots than Stuckey.
- Monroe and Stuckey: Just horrible games from both - more on Monroe later.
- Passing: You would think these guys had not played one game together let alone spent "all summer together". Lost track of the number of passes that were in reach but too high or wide.
- Rotations: Reward for effort Frank and no one is gifted a spot? Monroe to Drummond/JJ. Stuckey to English/Anyone.
- Pick setting: We have to be one of the worst teams in the league at it.
- Complaining: Monroe, Prince, Stuckey all too busy complaining when they should just be hustling back on defence more.
- Offence: every team will defend us well as they always know exactly who we are trying to get the ball to and how. There are no surprises. The rest of the team just stands there while someone tries to get open.
- Defence: Interior. Exterior. Every aspect of it. The only reason they didn't score more is because they are Pheonix.
- Having to go to Maxiell as a scoring option.
- Bynum ball. "Oh I scored, I will score again - it doesn't matter that anyone else is wide open and Gortot is twice my height".
- Kravtsov DND, Daye and BoT dressed (again): Kravtsov was exactly what our game needed when it all went to crap - a big, athletic stern looking Ukrainian to throw his weight around. Drummond and him on the floor to intimidate even better.
- Referees: Not sure on this one actually. Seemed bad both ways, or it may just have been a ugly ass game and they did a good job of not making it worse. Actually probably the latter.
A word on Monroe
He needs to stop his constant And1 calls, screaming and complaining - which he was doing all last season too. From the outside looking in he looks like he has got ahead of himself and think he is entitled to a call all the time. A few calls or no-calls at the start of the game and you can just tell he is going to be off. He stops putting the ball on the floor and takes the J, but not when it is wide open on the catch, after a few foot fakes. He then misses them and goes back inside with more pronounced spins, etc to avoid the contact that he isn't getting calls on. Add to this, he is meant to be leading the team and it sets the worst example. Prince and Stuckey need to take heed of this too.
His move to PF will help when a starting Drummond takes the big centres, but unfortunately you can't take Maxiell out of the starting lineup at the moment.
And as expected we lost. Didn't deserve to get that close. All the above may be a bit knee-jerk and the result of the in-game emotion but there it is.
The one positive I am hoping to take from this game is that we can't play much worse. If that is not one of the worst games I watch this season, we will have taken a step back from last season.
I look forward to my Likes/Dislikes lists getting above .500
I agree we are doing nothing til player x scores but at what point in your mind is that player x's fault? If I lead you to water and you still die from thirst, whose fault is it that you didnt drink?
Hopefully no Pistons die from thirst. Hydration is Mike Abdenour's department.
pretty sure ernie will blame BK for not magically making the water appear in their mouths
I would just like the Pistons to identify who Player X is.
They seem to hope that someone from the Stuckey, Monroe, Knight, Tay group can explode for 17pts and then Kyle Singler and Jonas Jerebko can take them home.
thats fine, I think the team needs to form an identity also and figure out who the go to guy is. But I can find no reason to blame BK for this. To me at least a pg 's job is to put players in a best possible position to score...he did that and since they didnt score you are blaming him.
Bk seems like he'd make a decent shooting guard.
We now have 2 combo guards, so I'm hoping to see what it looks like when stuckey is back to full force.
Bynum is doing a good job at the earl boykins role.
I know, I'm a little late for my review but here it goes.
We lost, but I'm happy with that.
I know it doesn't make any sense for some of you, but really I was happy at the end of the game.
Monroe couldn't find his shot yet this season, and Stuckey neither (headaches or not..) the thing is I like what Coach Frank is doing.
If the team doesn't work like that, he is shaking things up, letting the bench play, a bench that includes 3 rookies (Singler, Drummond, English) ... I can't remember (maybe because I'm too young comparing to all of you guys, no disrespect).. I can't remember when was the last time that Detroit played 3 rookies SO MUCH in the first 3 games of the season.
And I'm more happy that Daye and Villanueva are not playing.
That shows that Frank is kind of worried about how to make this team to work, but HE KNOWS that taking time from the rookies and giving it to Daye and CV won't provide any help for the team. HE IS NOT that desperate.
It's NEVER time to see what Daye and CV can do. NEVER.
Separate names with a comma.