Away Phoenix Suns Friday Nov 2 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well a valiant run down the stretch brought the Pistons to within 2 with less than 4 seconds to go, but this game was loss in that pivotal last six minutes of the second quarter. If Rodney had stuck just two of his shots, this could have been a W. But there were a lot of ifs in this game.

Monroe finally got into double figures, but was not able to get more than 6 boards as the Pistons were outboarded 52-39. Gortat had his way with the Pistons with a 16-16 and 3 blocks stat line. Drummond actually led the Pistonn grabbing 8 boards, but appeared to get a back hand sucker punch by J Oneal in the tummy in the 3rd and I don't think he ever returned.

Decent game from Tay and Jason as Max was able to make his points count with about 4 or 5 dunks, but the offense just seem out of sync most of the game.

If the lakers hold on and lose to the Clippers tonight, there is no way they or the refs will allow the Pistons to come in and steal a victory on Sunday, so the Pistons offense will have to somehow trump the Laker Princeton offense to win Sunday but its possible...
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't believe we had a shot to tie after all that. Nothing personally against singler, but why the decision to close with him? Just random?

I think e finally have our center.... Dude is big. I'm impressed by his defensive awareness and willingness to help. The no look pass was great and so was the fake pass and drive.
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Drummond stayed in after the Oneal backhand, he split the fts and played out the 3rd into the 4th. He was grabbing boards and attackin the glass and he set a pair of teeth rattling picks to free the guards. He was actually slowing The Suns paint attack and cleaning boxing his guy out. Where we got into board trouble when dre was in was when he had to rotate out to seal off on the pick and roll and noone covered his man. Drummond was holding his own but unfortunately Francis kept putting Bynum out there to run the show with him and Bynum,s only assist is to throw the ball near the rim and hope drummond gets it.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You'd be league champ if he played all his games against the Pistons.

The Pistons were down 7 points and it felt insurmountable. They've got horrid 3pt shooting.
    I thought KGREG made an interesting point after the Rockets game when he said the Pistons have no leader. It shows during games like this.

Monroe seems to shoot like he's afraid of getting blocked. He makes his moves too fast and off balance because of this.

The only time I felt like the Pistons could chip away at the Sisyphean 7 pt deficit was when Will Bynum was out there.

Stuckey has always been a slow starter. I was hoping this year would be different.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Anyone notice what coach did when we held them to just 2 points in the first few minutes of the 2nd quarter? He sat English down. He hates success. English and Knight should be our starting guards. Of course, coach never went back with this rest of the game - it does not fit his agenda.

Again, not one second with Monroe and Drummond paired up. Not one second. Winning is just not that important to coach. Not nearly as important as ensuring Monroe and Drummond never see one second on the floor together.

JMAX put on a pretty good offensive show, but his lack of height hurts us even though he can play good D in lots of respects. Defensive rebounding is not one of those respects.

Coach did change something, letting Singler play down the stretch. Nice clutch 3 from him there, just a bit too little too late for the Pistons.

Bynum did a couple of good things, but note if he does one good thing its like letting loose a monster who forgets to try to act as a point guard and just plays one on one. Way too late now to think he will ever change - just find a way to get him off the team.

Let me see, when did JJ act as a power forward in this one. Never, as usual. Coach don't get it. As I often say, nobody is as blind as one who will not see. Open your eyes coach, JJ is no NBA power forward, and I doubt is he is about to have a growth spurt this late in life.

Singler is slow. Should never be on a unit with any other slow players or with players who lack length. Its ok to hide him in an otherwise solid defensive unit and gain from him shooting the ball - but to ignore his lack of speed is not helping us any.

Ok. Two losses. Daye has not played.

A rotation:

Start Knight, English, Singler, Monroe, Drummond.

bench: Stuckey, Daye, Tay, JMAX, Kravtsov (with Drummond and Monroe also spending lots of time with the 2nd unit - more or less depending on the foul situation.)
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Two losses...not ready to panic yet..they still have 8 more chances to win the three games that I thought they may take in the first 10. Every game is a winnable game ...before tip off. But, this and the first game were still winnable after the first quarter as once again the Pistons had a double digit that they could not build to a proverbial-10-possession-we-got-this game and hold on for the victory.

Doubt if the coach makes any changes in the rotation for Sunday, but if the Pistons current starting rotation gets manhandled by the inept-still-trying-to-find- themselves Lakers on Sunday, then I think we need twist the coaches arm into using your rotation or a variation of it to get this team jump started. Then bring in those old vets off the bench to hold things together.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Some young players you build around, players like Derrick Rose, LeBron James and Kevin Durant......others....well, you trade them before the league finds out that they're not the second coming. Greg Monroe and Brandon Knight are not the second coming; Joe needs to trade one or both of them to get a legitimate stud who can attract another stud via free agency. There are just too many holes in their games. Greg has zero athleticism and Brandon's handle is just too loose and shaky for him to be a top tier point guard, in 3 years he'll be somebody's backup. Complain about Bynum if you want to, but he's the only player on THIS team who can consistently get his own shot. Buckle up for a long season because we have a serious void in the talent department.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Nemo like this.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Starter

nobody is going to give to you legitimate young stars(already proven) for stuckey or anybody from Pistons roster. There is no point for " fantasy trade threads" or rant as yours...in my opinion. This is not a fantasy bball, keep in mind.

Also frequent roster rotations, especially on the road, make things only worse. It takes time for the chemistry and on the road you have to prepare on the fly anyway.

people are jumping on the guns after two losses, c'mon.

out of sync? keep playing, that's the cure.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree with some of this. I thought BK played pretty good tonight considering his best wingman was Jason Maxiell.

When your starting SG scores one point, and misses 7 shots, and your starting center was at one point, 3-14, you're going to have a hard time looking good out there as a PG.

You gotta understand, from my POV, Knight can get to the rim different, but almost as good as Bynum, without the super colliding, and with a better jumpshot than WillIAm.

Monroe, I was totally unimpressed. It's his lack of physicality that bothers me. That and I don't get the "I wanna win so bad at any cost" vibe.

I will say, the Pistons did not look prepared at all. I got the impression they could have used another 3 months of training camp.

Who would have thought that boring 2chest plays for Rip would look like jazz compared to freestyle basketball?
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Was rushing around trying to get League Pass working on my macbook only to find the airport's wifi is a BoT - and when I finally was able to get online, I see Marcin Gortat running around KG-like setting moving screens and not getting called for it. *sigh*

Greg - for a guy who is supposed to be out best player, who supposedly has the drive to win... he didn't look like he cared much more than say, BoT would've, or Stuckey so far this year for that matter. He looked far more animated about the fact he wasn't getting the calls than he was getting mad he was making Gortat/Scola/whoever look like Tim Duncan. He looked terrible on defense and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on offense, in close or from 15-20 feet even when he was open - then he compounded it by not crashing the boards enough. I was hoping his play would pick up once the regular season got under way, but he's still way off.

Speaking of our "SG" - guy can't put the ball in the Pacific Ocean right now. Stuck was never a good shooter, and nor is he a good finisher - not even in transition. He's been absolutely atrocious so far and looks like he could care less, especially defensively. The refs not giving him the calls is really hurting him, but at the same time, he never looks like he's trying to finish when he's at the rim; hell, he tried to draw the foul (complete with hey!) when he had a bunny on the break. And for as much as people say he and Brandon have this "great chemistry" - I've never seen it. And if this game's Rodney shows up for the Lakers game, Kobe will go nuts and the game will be over after 1 quarter, guaranteed. Edit: apparently he had a headache. S

Bynum - he's played fairly well, but he is who he is; eventually he'll try to do too much, which at the end of his stint in the fourth quarter, he was.

Brandon - he seems to have become a lightning rod for criticism lately. Like Roscoe said: "it's hard to look good as a PG when his best wingman is Jason Maxiell", but I thought he played well after that stretch of too-fast play in the first half. He also was able to get to the rim very well.

Max - he's played well the last two games. Yes, he's limited in what he can do, especially against bigger, taller front lines (like the one the Lakers will deploy next game, coach) but I applaud the effort, even if I don't believe he's starting material.

Tay - he's playing more like old Tay, the glue guy, not someone trying to be the man, which is what he's ultimately best at. I thought he played well.

English - he and Brandon seem to play well together on both ends. Kim is a bit of a pest on defense, he moves well without the ball and he can hit jumpers. He's gunning for Rodney's job for sure, but he'll have a huge test coming up trying to guard Kobe.

JJ - he was being JJ. He needs to work on the 3 ball though his midrange J is looking good.

Kyle - ultimate glue guy, and he hit a huge 3 to get the team within tying range at the end. I like him.

Andre looked good. His defense was ok, and he had that pretty assist to JJ in the second half that I loved. He was also our best rebounder. I wish Frank would've kept him in the game at the end.

If you look at this team in terms of wins and losses, then yes, nothing's changed. But I'm optimistic about this team (laugh if you will), coach just needs to change things up to balance the bench and starters a little bit. I suggest Knight/English/Tay/Monroe/Drummond(Maxiell).
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Rodney has a headache. He will get it looked at soon.
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121103/SPORTS0102/211030371#ixzz2BAWs0FC5
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

There is just something off about Brandon Knight that I can't put my finger on. I never feel like he is dictating the Pistons play.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Our starting unit is built around a point guard who can't pass, a shooting guard who can't shoot and a center who can't defend. Sprinkle that with an undersized Jason Maxiell and the player formerly known as Tayshaun Prince. That's how you build a lottery team.

Stuckey and Monroe... Brrr. Since both players defend like Chaz they really suck when their offense doesn't work. It's only two games but Stuckey is 1/17 or something while Harden has scored ~80p while also filling up the rest of the box score - I may have to reevaluate my statement that I rather have Stuckey at $8.5M than Harden at a max contract. Monroe should stop whining at the ref after every "uuuuaauuuuuoooouuuuhhhhh" and try running back his own halfcourt to help the other 4 guys.

Knight looked pretty good at times and had one of his occasional looks-like-he-can-average-over-4.5-APG-nights. Give me more of this.

I really like how Frank keeps using Ken. Dre is closing in on 20 MPG and if coach plays him over 20 MPG over starting him during the first 15-20 games I'm fine with that. Some nice rebounding by Dre.

It may be because I'm just so used seeing the Pistons lose but every time the game is within 10p when the 4th starts I assume we'll lose the game. Is this a bunch of chokers or is this just my biased view after watching two second half collapses to start the season?
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Ok. I've had time to cool down and think about things.
    It starts with Stuckey. Or Magette if Stuckey has issues. We need the wing to put up points and space out the floor. We never get momentum going so its a dreary slugfest then we run out of steam or luck.
    Frank's fault. watching the first two games I blame Frank for something and its not about rotations or playing time. Take out Prince's shots and its all paint or 3's. That video by the Pistons where the asst coach talks about places on the floor to shoot from says volumes about the philosophy. They want points in the paint or 3's. It doesn't look like they practice a whole lot of shooting from the elbow or the short corner. Monroe is virtually open if he shoots immediately after receiving a pass at the elbow. He needs to become a triple threat. Nobody but Prince has the instinct for the midrange game so far. And I'm not going to bank on any 2nd rounder to break out just yet.

Prince has been good. Not the ball stopper of last season and a decent threat with all the movement out there. Maxiell is showing why he starts and Drummond hasn't 'earned it' yet. Once Drummond gets acclimated to the game, we could really use a different dynamic out there.

After a few games, someone needs to tell BK to stop trying to be a PG and just f-n lead this team. You can see him obsessing about doing point guard things and he needs to get better at it. But where this kid will separate himself from Kyrie is his drive to win. Right now his focus isn't on winning...its on point guarding. We're going to drop a lot of games if he's trying to figure that out and Drummond is trying to figure things out.
    del likes this.
  15. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Look I'm not even expecting a MJ fever playoff and still win type of effort, but if you got a headache take yourself out before tip off and let someone else do the job or commit to it. Kinda like make up your mind and go or get off the toilet.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Hey Slippy...don't forget about how the Pistons finished last year playing .500 after a bad start. I think some people forget that.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

They are already separated. Kyrie is a top 10 PG today and will be a perennial allstar.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I watched Brandon Knight a lot in college, was NEVER impressed. His handle is shaky, the mechanics on his jumper are also shaky and while he can hit it at a pretty decent clip, he struggles to get it off unless he's wide open. He also struggles to beat his man consistently, I was shocked at how Jeremy Lin so easily stayed with Brandon defensively. Knight is fast in space, but he's lacks quickness. The difference between him and , Dragic and Lin is stark! They have a tight, low, handle while Knight's is high and gets away from his body which is why he struggles to split defenders effectively. Last season Brandon frequently turned the ball over trying to split double teams, this year he's ceased the TO's but when he splits the double the ball still gets too far away from him and he spends a great deal of effort trying to recover his handle, in that time the defense usually recovers.

In the NBA if you have glaring holes in your game like Monroe and Knight they get exposed big time, Coaches will put it on a scouting report and if you can't adjust...oh well. What we're seeing right now are 2 guys that the league has figured out and I'm not convinced that they have the tools to adjust.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Every time I watched a UK game said the same thing. Every Piston game I still say it, his box score looks good....but he does no,t nor has he ever passed my eye test. I don't believe in the kid, hope he makes a fool out of me.
  20. max

max All-Star

I think everyone should be on the table - If it makes the team better then do it. But with that said I thought Knight had a good game and Monroe is just off to a slow start so far.

Really needed this game, rough way to start the season. Should have won at home on the opener and this was one of the games we needed to have a shot of any decent showing during the trip. Now its off to LA on Sunday.

I love the effort so far. Maybe Frank is just trying to do much integrating everyone in right off. Then again - maybe that's just his style to focus on building chemistry early so it pays off later in the season.