Phoenix March 24 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 24, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This may be the first time in all my years of following the Pistons that I can remember a game where the other team felt ripped off and I can sort of see their point. I'm not saying that they did get ripped off, but I think that I would have been angry if I was a Sun fan (because I would have my usual bias). So, I guess every 2,000 games or so, we get a favorable whistle.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is why I stated after the game that we got some calls and these are the refs I want doing our playoff games:). Of course then again if they are that incompetent, maybe we don't want them... Complaints like this could lead to a review by NBA ref chief and leave those refs out of the playoffs themselves
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we got calls like that every game then I guess we'd know what it is like to be Cavs fans.
  4. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Based on my experience at the Q last week, I say the Cavs fans feel as cheated by the refs as anybody else...
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's because they have become incredibly spoiled by 5 years of biased calls. Their equilibrium has shifted.

Just as an example, LB shot 140 FT's in Feb and 136 so far in March.

CB, our leading FT shooter tallied up 65 and 71 over the same time period.

Sure, Lebron deserves a lot of calls because he is aggressive. But when you are getting that many calls, how can the fans differentiate between a good call and a bad call anymore? Any time he doesn't get a whistle and scowls, the fans (half of which have been rooting for the Cavs for about 5 years now) think they got ripped off.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I say let them think what they may, but they got a few calls throughout the game as well. The free throws to Nash in OT when he was clearly passing the ball, rookie offensive foul calls on Stuckey and AA. I mean it was fairly even.
  7. mikhail1973

We won't get these refs in the playoffs, at least not according to McCoskey.
  8. PistonFanInCavsTown

Believe me, I wasn't trying to say their feelings were rational or legit.

As a fan I try very, very hard to not whine about officiating because (a) if I use it as an excuse when the Pistons lose then do I take away credit when it helps them win and (b) a good team wins no matter what, and should never allow the outcome of a game to hinge on a single call.

Frankly I thought the comments by the Suns players were about as crybaby as you can get and I hope they get fined. STFU and play the game!
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

the way his reporting goes.... we'll have them for 2-3 games in each series..... :pound:
  10. mikhail1973

If you look at it that way, yeah, sure. But since they do suck, probably not much hope. We're more likely to draw Nies or Davis.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Games like that one actually reinforce my belief that calls can make the difference in a game very easily. I realize how 1 call could have given us an L.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

well depends who we play in the ECF's... thats an asumption but i'll make it... if we play boston i don't hold hope out for a fair shake, we'll have to win 5 on 8, but anybody else we should be getting a decent call... cleveland drew so poorly in the finals last year i doubt that the league really is wanting a replay of that.
  13. PistonFanInCavsTown

But IMO to say that is to place more importance on that one play than all of the others. For example Stuckey passed up an open look at the end of regulation that resulted in Prince taking a long forced shot. Had Stuckey shot that instead it could've been game over in regulation.

I didn't get to see the game but I'm sure there were several other plays (forced shots or lack of aggression on offense, missed rotations on defense, failure to box out on some rebounds, etc.) that went "against" the Pistons but could have changed the outcome of the game since it was so close.
  14. mikhail1973

We are talking about officials impacting the outcome of the game. You are talking about players impacting the outcome. These are two different things and I am perfectly fine with players impacting and deciding the outcome of the game. It is possible that Stuckey makes the shot and Pistons win, it is also possible that Suns take a time-out after that, set up a play and drain a 3-pointer and win the game. Anything is possible.
    But refs shouldn't be making calls that impact the outcome, and that's the bottom line.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

If, it`s the incorrect call, of course!!!!!
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Put me in a ref's uniform, let me work every Pistons' game, and I could get us a ship without being obvious about it.

Not complaining. I'm always just a little unsettled about how easy it would be to do and to conceal.

Look at Donaghy. Nobody was on to him even though the statistical evidence was blatant that he was manipulating games. Think how many people were called whiners thoughout the years as they complained about his calls on their forums.

I don't want to rehash our previous discussions about this. It's a structural reality of the game of basketball. It is a difficult game to officiate and we seem to have very ethical guys reffing games. Since it is usually when things don't go our way that we bring up the problems, I thought I would mention it when we got the benefit for once.
  17. mikhail1973

I agree. But I also would like to add that it seems like some refs are have personal issues with some of the players. And it is not necessarily something like Nies and Pistons. I am sure nearly every team can point to an official who is consistently making a call against them and has a very short fuse when it comes to certain teams or players. Imagine Sheed or Amare going berserk like d'Anthony... Either would be T'd before we could type WTF. The inconsistency is what is pissing everyone off.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Um...I have an idea, why refs are so "inconsistent": when player knows that particular ref whistles only in certain situations then player just avoids those but ref wants to keep line where player is not sure when ref blows so it may be better to avoid every kind of mistakes by player.
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Lpgrl, did you find a way to watch this Phoenix/Detroit game yet? I know what you mean about League Pass Online. I've had some serious problems accessing it myself and have written threatening emails to the Help section. They fixed it within 48 hours, but hell by then the game I wanted was gone.

So, here's the deal. Do you have a VCR? Because I have this game taped (VHS, not CD) and I would be more than happy to send it to you if you and I were to write up a binding contract that you would return it to me in a timely fashion! :pound:I laugh, but I'm serious. I tape every Pistons game and then after the playoffs I inventory and decide which ones to keep from the season and which ones to tape over. I know I know...it borders on obsession...No it is obsession. I readily admit it and I'm sure you understand.

This game is definitely a keeper. This was a great game and I will put it in the mail to you if you cross-your-heart-and-hope-to-die that you will send it back to me Otherwise, I will have to stalk you on the forum...like...:pound:you know...

Whaddya think? I think...an offer you can't refuse, no?

P.S. How could you turn off your alarm and say F the Pistons when they were playing Phoenix? Unfathomable. I mean school is important and all...but priorities are priorities! LOL
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kim didn't we discuss last year that it was time for you to get a DVR so that you could have these games with out worrying about tapes?? :)You could hook up a DVD recorder and then moved them to a DVD when needed. I am sure HQ can find an extra DVR or Tivo box to send you to make this happen.:) :sssh:

I have the second half of the game on my DVR and if LP rerally wants to see it and doesn't have a VCR, but has a DVD player I can transfer it to a DVD and send it...