Phoenix March 24 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 24, 2008.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But Ernie, you're always such a bundle of cheerful joy around here!:MusicBigGrin:
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I couldn`t disagree more.

We do spread the floor, however, it is puzzling to me why we do. Usually, teams spread the floor to create driving lanes to the hoop, we spread the floor to launch jumpers. CB is not the quickest PG in the league, but he can use his strength and intelligence to get to the hoop, at will IMO.

The Pistons usually have three players at the three point line at all times, if not there, at least 15-17 feet from the basket.

I do agree our offense is different with Rip. I am really feeling bringing Rip or Tay off the bench, however, I know that will never happen.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

quoting myself because i wrote this after the washington game...and i think the way stuckey played yesterday confirmed what i said. :) if he gets that jumper down *and* improves the way he finishes around the basket, look out.
  4. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

The starting five is set, and I would be shocked if it changed at all this close to the playoffs. But IMO what would be just as good is if substitutions were made so that their time on the floor was staggered. With the exception of the first 6 mins. of the 1st quarter and the last 6 mins. of the 4th quarter, why not plan to constantly have around 2 bench guys on the floor?

What confuses me is when we don't sub till waaay late in the 1st quarter, and then repeat it again in the 3rd. Who says all of the starters have to be in to start the 3rd quarter?
  5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I agree with some of your criticisms about the pick and roll defense, but I don't think your conclusion makes much sense. Phoenix did come in with a 7-game winning streak, and say what you will about the Shaq trade (I'm on record saying it was a bad move), but the Suns are still a legitimately elite team. No one should realistically expect to dominate them; a butt-whipping like the Pistons laid on them in Phoenix is a pleasant surprise that can't possibly happen on a consistent basis.
  6. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The 1st big who was showing on the screen-roll was not getting back in time to cover the 2nd bigs guy (after he rotated). Usually the defense works, but when the 1st big is slow or the PG is as good as Nash it doesn't work and looks horrible. I like this strategy better than just a medium / no show on the screen. Max does it great.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps control is a better word. There is no need for them to have to sell out to stop Nash from driving. They should be able to guard them straight up.

The NBA - Where grave depression happens!
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Depression for you maybe.

The NBA - You've got the greatest athletes in the world playing the best sport ever invented. I love it!
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seconded.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have been saying this for two years, but Flip is a hard head when it comes to making an adjustment like that. He would never change the starting line-up (except for an injury) thinkin that he might hurt an ego. Does not make any difference in my opiniopn who starts the 3rd qtr. If a bench player made a major impact in the first half, why not start him in the 3rd? I have seen other teams do it and it can disrupt your opponents halftime adjustment to open the second half. What irratates me more is when a starter plays the whole third qtr and then is winded when Flip puts him back in there late in the 4th. Dice seems to be worn down in crunch time in a few of those close games..
  11. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We spread the floor when Rip is not in but when he is in the game; we run a double screen at the high post or low block. Both Tay and Rip startin the lane. Zero driving lanes to the hoop. Now once Rip comes of the screens; Tay goes the other way. At that point either Dice or Sheed drops to the post on Rips side to screen or post up.

Once he gives it up to Rip; he never sees it again unless the shot clock is running out.
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, however, that double screen is not run on every possession!
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I give him credit for leaving Stuck out there. Now if we could only get him to do that with the other rookies.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I mentioned last game that i didn't know if our p-n-r defense was just technically wrong or the bigs Flip chooses to play are slow. I guess its the 2nd which begs the question should we be playing it differently when we have specific players in the game?

Is there another effective strategy?

I haven't watched the game, but i can only imagine it's similar to the WAS defense.
  15. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The best way is to have a guard that can get around screens. We have 1.5: AA and LH. Both don't play much though. Stuckey's getting better. This way the bigs can stay at home and not get caught out of position.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great game, great win, against an opponent on fire of late. And we did it minus one of our stars, with Rip being out with some kind of hip problem.

For the record, we are now 30-4 when Afflalo gets 11 or more minutes. (In all cases, he got at least 6 minutes in the first half, so this record is not due to us winning by wide margins and Afflalo getting those minutes from garbage time. He started this one, and got praise for consistently keeping Nash out of the lane. And yes, he did seem nervous on those two long jumpers he took. Both came up short and the shots were flat. But hey, let him shoot some more. That is not like him. He did nail a shot after driving into the lane (foul line extended.) He did twice convert a turn into a bucket by driving aggressively to the rack against traffic. No, he does not seem to be offensively challenged at all. He has some height and knows how to use it to score at the hoop.

Billups got a ton of rest, despite Rip not playing. Someone mentioned that Hunter was plus 5 in his nine minutes. Hunter did nail that triple for us. He also alertly picked up a ball someone else knocked away for a steal.

So what did Billups do with the rest? He was the scoring hero for us at the end of regulation and thru the whole OT. Great stuff. Driving and getting to the line, hitting shots. Not to mention he took over the chore of guarding Nash toward the end of the game too.

Sheed made 5 triples, scored inside some, and hit a tough, fairly long ranged forced shot over Stoudemire in OT. Then he stuffed Stoudemire and took the ball down. Wow.

Stuckey had his shot going tonight. He had limited success driving in. I think he made a total of 3 free throws. (But maybe only 1? Yes, I watch too much film. Sometimes its hard to separate what I watched earlier from the game I just watched.) Anyway, Stuckey had it going from the outside. Phoenix kept leaving him open, and he kept nailing the shots. He was rewarded with all the time down the stretch and into OT. Anyone notice it was Stuckey who got that key strip from Shaq? Maybe it was a foul, but it was not called. Stuckey did not score late. Phoenix started guarding him. Stuckey did take one forced shot over Nash, trying to stretch out his game a bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Dyess was certainly needed tonight, for his strength in guarding Shaq. He also hit some shots, and two clutch free throws to help send it to OT.

Tay, well, he had his hands full guarding Hill. That is plenty to do these days as Hill really has his game going.

Hayes. Not much to say about him. He got some minutes. The team did well with him in the game.

Theo made a couple of dribble moves to the rack and looked good doing so. One ended up with a hook off glass from in front of the basket. (driving from the right.) One ended up with him at the line making free throws. Theo also had some blocks, and basically was quite helpful guarding Shaq. Not to mention the rest he gives both Sheed and Dyess and the fouls he has to give. Quite a good pickup when you consider Phoenix just might come out of the West.

JMAX and Amir both played. I can't remember much from Maxiell. I do remember Amir getting a rebound over Stoudemire and then laying it in over him. Nice. I also continue to see a trend where Amir is used to guard small forwards. Tonight it was Hill.

And in a huge improvement in Flip's coaching, he took Dyess out early in the first quarter. Part of a great night of playing the bench well. Pretty much getting everything right. (Of course, I would not play Hayes.)
    That was one highly entertaining game. I heard Philly beat Boston too. Sweet.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is really strange playing against Shaq and having him be such a non-factor.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Actually, the boxscore says that CB played 45 minutes total. That includes all 5 minutes of the OT, which means he still played 40 minutes in regulation. I'm a little surprised by that number, so I guess it corresponds to CB only getting rest (8 minutes worth for the game) whenever Lindsey was on the floor (9 1/2 minutes). I remember Lindsey mostly being paired with Stuckey, who played 30 minutes (including all 5 in OT). AA played 21, none of them in OT.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I saw some suns games during their winning streak and, oh my, shaq dominated there(usually 15pt, 10 rbs). So credit to trio Dice-Sheed-Rattliff, they really didn't let cactus to take position under basket or, denied him from ball(some were stolen).
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    He's been a non-factor for a while, but it is indeed strange. He's not getting the calls anymore, his shot is inconsistent, and he doesn't seem to have the strength to bully his way to the basket.