Phoenix At Detroit - Apr 2, 2006

Discussion in 'April 2006 Games' started by max, Oct 10, 2005.

1. max

max All-Star

Phoenix At Detroit

Early Game ~ 1:00 PM

TV: ABC
    Radio: WDFN

This is the last game for the league leading offensive team ( 108.4 PPG) PHX on their 5 game East coast swing. They are 2-2 with wins in Indy on Thursday and TOR on Friday where they put up 140 points in the win after suffering 2 blowouts against NJ and Milw. Milw put up 132 points against them on Tuesday.

With a day of rest and virtually no travel time will they be comming into the Palace fresh and ready to play or will the 5 game in 7 day road trip catch up with them? PHX will attempt to avenge the 111-104 loss to the Pistons on their homecourt earlier this year.

PHX sports a 21-14 road record - one of the best in the NBA. They are 6-4 over their last 10 games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~~

Pistons win #59 of the season 109-102 and clinch East homecourt.
    http://www.nba.com/games/20060402/PHXDET/boxscore.html?nav=scoreboardhome
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Re: Comments

The Pistons will have to make their jumpshots, not something that's historically come easy to them in the morning games.

It should be another big game for Dice, too, if they try to guard him with Marion again (and who else would they use? Tim Thomas?)
  3. max

max All-Star

When you have Pat Burke on your team and the guy actually plays you know your frontcourt is hurting. Pistons must crash the glass and use their size to get the W. Hunter definetly will help slow down Nash.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Pat Burke is the pride of Ireland Max! He's the Irish Darko!

Seriously, gotta hope Ben can cover Diaw. Boris D is now the best undersized (all around) center in the NBA. Keep in mind, he was a throw-in during the Joe Johnson trade, and is now easily a candidate for most improved player.

Tayshaun and Sheed have a tall order shutting down Shawn Marion who would be a MVP candidate if not for being on the same team as Steve Nash.
  5. max

max All-Star

Micro - Marion is kind of the Millenia's answer to Charles Barkley. Undersized rebound/offensive forward.

I guess there are several ways the Pistons can attack this game. Try to muck up their O by forcing TO's turn it into a half court game. I hope we don't try and outscore them by turning it into a jump shooting contest. Slow it down and post-up Sheed and Dyess.

One advantage will be the offensive glass. Besides Marion and Diaw they really do not have any decent rebounders. As a team PHX only averages 9.5 offesive boards/game so the Pistons can use that to get more shot attempts. If it goes high tempo then the Pistons will need more shot attempts.

Can you imagine if Stoudemire was playing? Next year.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Look for the Pistons to win this one big. The Suns come in giving up an average of a whopping 120 PPg over their last four! They actually won two of those games.

Talk about trying to outscore somebody. It`s too bad the injuries they had this year really hurt them on the defensive end, because their scoring is only down to 108 ppg this year from 110 ppg last year.

The addition of Brian Grant, Boris Diaw, and Tim Thomas has not been as succesful as the Suns had hoped due to injuries and inconsistent play on the defensive end. Hey, this is the "West Side", where offense ids the name of the game, unless you`re the Spurs.

Phoenix gives up 102 ppg a night, look for the Pistons to get just under that in a win. I agree, you still don`t want to run with these guys. I hope they dont bait Sheed and CB to start launching up the 3`s in a wide open affair. Loo for that to happen in the early going.:ohwell:
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Bottom line, got to play DEFENSE to win this game. Can't be trading baskets with them. This team put up 140 pts in their last game, on the road.

However, this team without Stoudamire and Thomas has ne defense int he paint. Our bigs should pound the ball inside most of the time. Would like to see more post play, offensive rebounds by our big 3 (Wallace X2 and Dice). If we do this, we may draw a lot of fouls on them too, esp. on Marion and Diaw.

We win this game and we will have home court advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs. So GO PISTONS! GO D!
  8. roscoe36

Chat is open, I'll try to be by soon. I really want to get my PC DVR rolling for this game.

GO PISTONS!
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

the last time we faced them was a great game. we tried outscoring them and it worked, but we have to play on both ends. Expect chauncey to be very aggressive.
  10. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

PHX in town and you have to score, I don't care what tempo you want to set PHX forces you to score, and when I say forces you to score that means they will not play defense, only offense. even when they lose games they score alot of points so if the Pistons come out flat and play switch on basketball look for double digit leads by PHX in some points of the game.

With that being said I think Detroit will have the same type of game the last time these two teams met back i November. PHX was up double digits for most of the game, but Detroits defense got them back and they put the ball in the hole making clutch three point shots.

No matter what you have to score there is no such thing as a defensive battle playing this team they are the best at forcing their tempo on you. If Detroit wins look at them making 8-11 three point shots.

I perdict the final will be Detroit 114- PHX 108
  11. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Am I wrong? It doesn't seem that Flip is doing any coaching so far. He is letting Phoenix do whatever they want and is doing nothing to try to counteract it.
  12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

That's how Flip always coaches.
  13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least he's consistent. He hasn't done any coaching all season long.

The Suns are shooting the lights out! They Suns will get some points on the fast break, but what is pissing me off is all the open looks they're getting in the half court offense. The fact that all of their shots are falling is just making it that much worse, but the Pistons are giving up too many uncontested shots. Over playing the drive and then giving up the pass.

Its nice to see Sheed posting up and actually playing inside of the 3 point line for the most part. I don't even want to think about what the score would be if we didn't get all of those easy put backs.

What are the chances Sheed will keep it up in the 2nd half? Personally, I think he'll start out the 2nd half going inside, but by the 4th, if we're still down, he and CB will start jacking up the 3s.
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

That's not all on Sheed - most of the guards, and Chauncey in particular, are completely ignoring Sheed and Dice when they establish position. It's not uncommon to see Chauncey ignore post-ups and cutters, but this is ridiculous. At least he's one of the few Pistons making an effort on defense.

And why has Flip taken 2-chest, the Pistons unguardable pet play to get
    Rip a wide-open shot, out of the playbook? I'm sick of watching the hawk series, where any competent defender can stick right with Rip on the curl. Rip has a bit more potential than Wally frickin' Szczerbiak, Flip.
  15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Remarkable change in the second half. Ben Wallace for MVP.
  16. roscoe36

DITTO!!!
  17. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The Piston clinched home court in the East!!!

That was not the question though, we knew they would have home court in the east back in January. Detroit came out and played the game just like I knew they would. Go down double digits win this game playing in the hundreds, and had to make 8-11 threes(9-17 52%).

This team is ready for the playoffs and through the stretch I told everyone to look out for(March 22 to April 12) their 6-1 so far, this team is ready.

The bad, Sheed 16 tech has come just as suspected and will miss the NOK game only if the NBA don't recind the tech witch I doubt big time. GO PISTONS!!!!!!
  18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

That, my friends, is the difference between when Ben Wallace plays with energy, and when Ben Wallace is invisible. Ben simply MUST get some huge energy boost in the playoffs or we're in trouble. Teams aren't going to give away games like these in the playoffs.
  19. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

why is it that you can be great on offense and bad on defense and win an MVP (i.e. nash) but you cant be a great defensive player and a bad offensive player like Big Ben and win MVP?
  20. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Many thanks to the person who woke Ben up. :nod: :nod: