Phoenix 4pm, December 31

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by max, Dec 27, 2006.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Delfino took the 3 coming out from a timeout if i'm not mistaken. He missed and it lead to a 3 point play by Nash and it pretty much close out the game. Did i mention timeout? Is it a play that was drawn out by the coach? From the play, it was not. There were no plays drawn out for that possession. Coming out from a timeout, it should have a better drawn play.

I put this loss on the coach.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought the coach was lousy JZ. He's simply too passive. D'Antoni dictated the game to him.

After re-watching the game to grab some cuts for future use, Will Blalock did a good job out there. His one missed field goal was on a layup which he seemed to rush, but to his credit he was fouled and did make both of the free throws.

The game seems a little too fast or Will is trying a little too hard when he gets an opportunity right now. One thing is not in doubt. Any unit with Max, Will and Delfino seems to win it's court time against the opponent. It might not be pretty but they seem to be consistently effective. I think it is because Blalock lets Delfino handle the ball more than Billups, Prince or Murray.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I think the "Overlord of the Board" is coming around....:afro:
  5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I simply don't understand it- Flip Sr. is in the perfect position for experiments right now- he has the weakest Eastern Conference for decades, an injured PG and lots of hungry bench players.
    And what is he doing? He gives Hamilton 44 mins, and also far too many minutes to all the other starters, while playing only half of the bench.
    Surprisingly, Flip Jr. had a decent game- let's trade him right after one of his decent games, otherwise we stuck with him for 10 more appearances.
    I'd have loved to see more of JMax and a little bit of AJ- especially against the undersized Suns. I guess Flip Sr. hasn't had the same thoughts.
    Maybe I should write him an email- it seems like he listens to fans if he suggests them to coach instead of him.
    Sometimes I think he's oermanently sitting in a small room, biting fingernails and thinking of nice apologies why he plays his beloved starters 40+ minutes while degrading some bench players to water boys.
  6. max

max All-Star

Happy New Year to all.

This game was dissapointing on many levels. 3rd loss in a row, 3rd close game lost in a row. Taken us from heading into elite status to just another run of the mill playoff team. Bulls have tied us for 1st place.

I agree with most of you on some of Flips choices in that game. 1st, what happened to Dale Davis? Did he do something? Injured in some way? That 2-headed center deal seemed to be working. In that game I suppose we did not need someone to play some interior D?

Lets see Blaylock was the 1st backup point with Murry all but being out of the rotation. Seems to me that Blaylock would have been the starter instead of going with Flip. Murry added some scoring and its nice that he was able to contribute but his D on Nash was very questionable.

Delfino has been very encouraging as of late but unfortunatly the team has not been able to win any of the past 3 that he has played well in. Bench seems to be back with Maxiel playing well again. So much for the goon squad since Davis is out.

Its like Saunders gets just so far. He has been great at finding things that work but seems to forget about things that had worked. If he can only piece it all together we will be fine.

Still, I believe we would have won if Billups had played. Thing is are we the kind of team that needs all 4 starters (you know the guys ) to be healthy in order to win? Too many breaking points with that. And Dumars used to critisize teams that went with the 2-star model. He has double the odds of something going wrong. One twisted ankle by Sheed,Billups or a sore shoulder by Rip or Prince and the Pistons cannot beat the elite teams. That has to change.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Sheed needs to sit down. Obiviously the flu, and the sore ankles are making him play horrible. Bench the guy than. I'm sick of seeing a starter playing even though a bench player is doing much better than them.

Without Chauncey Sheed, and Tay need to step up along with the bench players. Sheed was absolutely horrible. Tayshaun needs to take more of scoring load, we went to him early and than went away from him. I'll let him slide because he completely stopped Marion, but he was stopped too.

Rip has been scoring a lot lately. In the last 2 games he has averaged 5 turnovers. Many of these have been in the 4th quarter.

Good job by most of the bench. One of the only bright spots. If it were not for them and Rip it would of been a rout.

I didn't like Flip's coaching. Not only should Dice, or J Max be in for Sheed more but he never called timeous when Phoenix started taking control of the tempo.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Micro, keep watching that film. Sure makes a difference, hey? Blalock can defend. And he should absolutely have started ahead of Flip Murray, who opts out of defense way too often.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I liked Will Blalock out their because he didn't collapse after facing up against one of the top PG tandems in the NBA with Chauncey only watching on the sidelines.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino led the team in boards in only 19 minutes.

Davis didn't play because Flip Saunders let Phoenix dictate the tempo of the game on our home floor.

Flip Murray was great when he drove to the hoop. His jumper is whack.

Blalock either can't score, or he is afraid to.

Maxiel is the most exciting player on the team. Nobody pumps up the crowd like this guy.

Oh, and why didn't Flip Murray look to take any charges on those fast breaks? He intentionally got out of the way and reached.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We got what we wanted... bench play by everyone minus Amir... what no W?
    I have no more ill will towards Sheed.. he simply doesn't compete at a high level for more that one out of three games... not acceptable... time to move him.... sorry your time is up.

Delfino?... ok, he's on the rise.... great to see.... I'm on board and will gladly admit my undue critisism if he can string a few quality performances together... nice job.
    Other than that this is not a bad loss... %%%% happens... don't worry be happy.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

PISTONS: To the Point

Read at the end. Flip would like Chauncey to be back by January 6th, the Bulls game.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We've been outrebounding teams by a lot lately mainly in our 3 game win streak. It's turnovers, freethrows, and some slow rotations that have cost this team. Very weird. I can feel a big win streak coming for some reason though.
  14. roscoe36

I assume you watched the game, so you're making that comment as a joke. Max/Delf/Blalock/Dice saved our butts in this game. If we didn't play the bench we would have lost by a lot more.

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - Phoenix @ Detroit
  15. roscoe36

16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

FELIZ ANOS NUEVE, MI FAMILIA!!

In my ongoing goal to go at least 48 hrs without yelling, I am at hour 14 and doing good. Its a strange feeling when u can actually feel the hatred in your stomach trying to get out. Maybe I really am a Sith...or at least Damien's seed. Anyway, here's the DIRTY LOW DOWN :

Steve Nash vs Flip Murray.

I dont when , as good as he is, that Nash became Larry Bird, but that was as good as "i just punked yo %%%%% " game Ive seen since The Great One laced up in the Garden. There was nothing Flipstone could do to Nash and he took it and liked it. It was like a prison rape. And all Flipper could do was call Steve "Daddy".
    If this is what yall wanted from this loser when he signed here, then u got it and I hope your happy. As far as his 18 pts go, I was ready to pop Blaha in the mouth when he made a quick reference to Vinnie Johnson AFTER FLIPITCH MADE 2 SHOTS IN A ROW(woo-ooo) as 'shades of the Microwave' ! Gimme a bruckin fake!!!!
    This was never a close game in the fact there was no one to shut down the MVP. He would have lit CB up for 40, like Zeke would do to remind Stockton 'who's boss'(THATS OLD SKOOL,HOMEY).
    wE AINT SWIMMIN,YALL.wE JUST PADDLIN. We got to establish who's boss in this pitiful east. Thats why I said the key to this is Tay. He's got to be a 20/5 and 5. He's got to stop trying to back his flat %%%%% in to the lane fron 20' on the wing. And work to get lobs, taps and score from the left elbow, like Zach Randolph.
    Also, Sheed...has got to go....

As we say in OLD WORLD, "Ba-dee-ya..Suerly you remember..."

I am so conflicted. For all this, I couldve stayed a sith...
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

oops - took my camera to the game, but left the batter in the charger at home heh. was wondering if they'd make a new player intro for flip murray, but they didn't.

this was the most entertaining game of the year that i've been to, and i didn't even care about losing. the crowd was actually getting into it, the bench is continuing to get more minutes, and in crunch time too. this is key for their development. we outscored them in the paint, destroyed them in 2nd chance opportunities, and outrebounded them too.

flip murray got hot a few times and was able to provide us some offense, but yeah he was non-existent on D. but i was impressed when he drove to the basket...not so much when he tried posting up or doing other thing offensively. too many times he got caught up in switches and was left defending stoudemire.

blalock didn't have a spectacular game. he had pretty good man defense, but got absolutely destroyed on picks amare threw. he was never able to fight through one, and instead got a good pounding.

mcdyess was huge at several points - hustling and bringing energy, getting a monstrous putback dunk, and playing hard.

maxiell and delfino had excellent games. delfino did well on the fast break, made shots, and successfully drove the lane a few times. maxiell had a monster block, took a charge, made some tough shots, and continues to improve his rebounding (which, if you all remember, was a knock on him during the preseason).

rip was great until late - but c'mon flip, give him a breather. tayshaun looked good early but didn't get many scoring opportunities later.

i will say that the detroit crowd still responds to defense more than anything. when maxiell and delfino came in, delfino had his 360 drive to the lane, maxiell got the huge block, and then took the charge, the crowd went nuts. everyone got on their feet and cheered, which basically *never* happens during the 2nd quarter of a regular season game. no one is yelling about how delfino sucks anymore, and i heard plenty of "jason maxiell is having a great game", "jason maxiell is awesome" comments throughout.

so again, sucks that we lost but we still gained overall. oh, and nash is ridiculously good. i mean it's insane how easily he gets a shot off, how his passes look like they're at weird angles and going out of bounds, yet land perfectly in his teammates' hands. and yeah amare is good, but nash makes him far far better. pair mcdyess or maxiell with nash and they'd goes for 20/10 every night.

one more thing - 150th straight sellout...but it's impossible to sell my tickets this year. last year i sold my tickets when the pistons played the suns and heat, and made almost triple each ticket's value. this year i put them at face value and couldn't even get rid of them. and the pistons took out full page ad in the detroit news.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah that was tongue in cheek... however with all the solid bench play we didn't play the Suns as well as we did in the past when we BEAT this team with our overused starters.... I'm sure the +/- numbers were better during those games.
    The bench should be developed more than in the past... there's usually a sacrifice involved as for wins & losses.
  19. roscoe36

We beat this team twice last year. Both times without Amare. The previous season, we beat them once at home without Nash. We did lose the Phoenix game in 2005 when they had a full lineup.

Make no mistake, this Suns team with a full roster is dominating. I think they would have beat the Spurs in 2005 if Jerry Stackhouse didn't take out Joe Johnson, breaking JJ's face in the WC Semis.

[​IMG]
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sheed needs to show up or sit a few games out. He is making this team much worse right now. We win this one if Max eats all of his minutes. Hell, we win this one if we just throw someone in who won't shoot.

A PF that shoots about 43% from the field is sad.

Last edited by FreshPrince22 : Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
    I'll go with that.