Philadelphia March 12th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 11, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No while he WAS here. That's one point of contention even LB haters will have a hard time arguing.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I probably should have made it clear I was being sarcastic. I liked LB when he was here, I just remember him getting lots of flak on these threads for not developing the bench, pretty much the same thing that Flip is getting bashed for. I agree with your comment, though.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Yea, i missed that. :)

I think he did great with then bench in 04, but in 05' we didn't really have a bench (Hunter, Dyess, Eldin). I guess you could argue Delfino/Darko as pieces we could use, but Darko has pretty much proved he was a bust. And even w/o one we got to the finals. It's hard to go from someone as talented as Brown in terms of pre/in game strategy to Flip. Too bad he was on the crazy side.

Flip's problem isn't so much developing the bench as choosing the wrong players off the bench.
  4. max

max All-Star

Brown certainly had his faults. His game 5 decision in the NJ series to go with Darvin Ham over Memo I think costed us that game. He had a love for small ball that as I recall frusterated us in other forums, almost benched Prince for Ham during the season, had that feud going on with Memo whenever he took a shot beyond 10 feet.

Have to recall that the team was a lot younger and hungrier back in 03/04 than they are now plus we had a 3-time DPY in his prime. I think the Pistons of the last 2 years would have presented much more of a challenge for LB as motivation was never a problem 4 years ago.

Its quit an old bit though.
  5. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Is LB still a Pistons coach option? Will he ever come back? he is the right person now. We have the bench, so he does not have to worry about developing it
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Don't get me wrong, i know Brown had his faults. I still to this day remember him putting Prince on Duncan in Game 7. But there is no way LB would stand for any of this BS from the players, and the players wouldn't be able to get away with what they do under Flip. And LB would never i repeat NEVER keep Dixon on the floor. But your right it's old. LB's not coming back. My 2nd choice isn't leaving PORT. But at this point i'd have to say i'd even take my chance on a less experienced coach over Flip.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year.
  7. max

max All-Star

I agree to an extent. LB did run a tighter ship but remember now the last time the Pistons were under .500 20 games or so into the season was at the start of 04/05.

Also when you think about it Flip has gotten the players to buy into a whole new system which was not easy to pull off. Whether or not that system works for winning championships is debatable but he did get the players to follow his instructions.

I may have to disagree here. Seemed like given a choice LB always went with the vet. Okur, Delfino and Memo are examples. LB also had a bias for players/coaches from North Carolina.
    I agree. After the humiliating loss to Clev I thought for sure we would be getting a new coach.

Thats going to say it all. But whatif we actually win a title with Flip?
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Seems like Flip will be here next year regardless. My biggest beef is that Hermann should be out on the floor reducing Tay's minutes to about 32 per game. He's one of those hungry players who could jump start the 2nd unit along with Amir. I'm one of those people who think that Flip can win it all. This is my last season of encouraging words though if Tay looks weak during the playoffs and Hermann doesn't play.........
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It aint over til it's over...
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No and no.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely feel your pain, but I would not call it typical. There are only 4 teams that have a better home record than the Pistons: Utah, Dallas, Boston, and San Antonio.