Philadelphia March 12th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes I did. I said he would flash some of the youngsters in there, but really go with Stuckey, Hayes, Theo, and Dixon as his main bench guys. This was a slam on the average fan, who would imagine that our youngsters got to play, and not notice how little they played.

The other part, about us losing, you know that I have said we can't win with Afflalo not playing.

On the energy thing, Flip pretty much says that after every loss. Never mind Theo was his first sub, and brings no energy. Never mind that Dyess was leg dead so bad he could not get his legs warmed up until the end of the first quarter. Never mind Sheed had a bum ankle and could move no faster. Never mind Philly went big in this game, playing Iguidala at shooting guard so he could totally overwhelm Rip. It was atrocious coaching, not any lack of energy. PS, and shame on the fans who cheer on Saunders as he tears the team down. I know its a minority, but all it takes is a few cheerleaders like this and Flip will use that as justification to stay the course toward disaster.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Tay is leg dead again. He could not possibly have hit an outside shot last night. And don't blame Sheed for not going inside much. With the rest of the team off on their shooting, Philly could too easily pack the middle on us.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Do you think Saunders bases his rotations on what percentage of casual Internet fans support his moves?
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Aggravating loss only because it is kind of typical. I wish DET could take care of their home court. It kind of seems like the more things they have going in their favor, (home court, 3 days off, everyone back etc.) the worse it is.

I find Flip's quote in today's papers to be telling. He says something along the lines of, 'When you starters come out with no energy, it really puts a lot of pressure on your bench. Every play for them becomes huge.' This, to me, has always been Flip's big problem. He is too caught up in the now. He can't picture what the end of quarter might look like if someone hits 3 shots at the start of one. Sheed was hot in the 2nd quarter and because of that he wasn't going anywhere in the 2nd half. Contrast Flip's quote to someone like Popovich who talks about not panicking when they're down, remembering that the game is 48 minutes long and sticking to their principles/philosophy of playing. Flip can only play the bench when there is a margin for error. He can't coach them to success.

Disappointing that Sheed and Theo didn't get to play together.

A good sign for where this team is headed under Flip's guidance was Philly's last shot of the game. DET gets the rebound in front of their own bench and didn't know if they should call timeout or advance the ball. Not only did they time go off the clock, but they also came close to having to take the ball the length of the floor on their last shot. I know DET has the reputation of being ruthlessly efficient down the stretch, but in reality that was eons (another coach) ago. These Pistons have taken on the personality of their leader. Where they used to thrive in late game situations, they now are nervous and twitchy.

As good as their last play was out of the timeout, I think it is causing people to overlook how great a play they ran out of their previous TO. You remember the one where Rip (3-7 with 3 of his attempts blocked) dribbled, dribbled and dribbled as the shot clock ran down before heading baseline and dribbling the ball of his foot and out of bounds? Deeeeeeeeetroit Basketball!!!!
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...Another season; Another player experiencing "leg death".:rip:
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't get to watch this one, but based on all these comments, I think that I'll just delete it off the DVR and pretend like it never happened.

I hung out with Yogi Berra instead (at a function) and he said the following:

1) he loved hitting at the old Tiger Stadium
    2) he is good friends with Leyland and thinks he's a great manager
    3) the balls are way more lively now than they were in his day
    4) I asked him who would get the AL pennant this year, and he said "we'll see." He knew I wanted him to say the Tigers, and he wouldn't do it.

Anyways, I always wondered whether or not his quotes were accidently brilliant or whether he was just a clever guy. After meeting him, I'm 100% certain that he knew what he was saying at all times.
  6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

What a treat to meet Yogi Berra! A true legend. He is also a great wit. Two Berraisms that I can remember:

It's deja vu all over again.

Nobody goes there anymore -- it's too crowded.
  7. BillLaimbeer

That is so awesome that you got to meet Yogi Bear. Did you happen to see Boo Boo or Ranger Smith?

[​IMG]
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't understand who more people aren't mentioning this. The fact that Tay has played close to 40 min for the past like 4 games is just glossed over.
  9. BillLaimbeer

Tay played 34 minutes 2 games ago against the Knicks.

The Pistons are 17-5 in their last 22 games. That ain't that awful, is it?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Do you think that this conspiracy will ever see the light of day? Or are Joe Dumars and George Blaha in on it as well? ;)

Word!

We have a lot of great wits on this forum. No legends though...
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Four games in a row is better than forty like in the past. But, I get what you're saying. It's been a long week or so for Prince.

Still, I think the most important point is that here we are, one more time, heading into the playoffs without an adequate backup small forward.

- Hayes Probably playing better than he has at any point in his career, but just not a consistent scorer off the bench. I don't think his defense is quite as bad as many seem to think, but it's not good enough to justify him being on the floor if he's shooting 1 for 5.

- Herrmann Sure has his heart in the right place, but hasn't gotten (and most likely won't get) enough playing time with the team to play him big minutes.

- Affalo Maybe could spend a few minutes at the three. But rookies don't see a lot of time on the floor in the playoffs and it's hard to imagine AA will be an exception.

- Johnson Lee, I hear you, and I wish it were so, but I just don't see it. I think we'd be up for a new fastest foul-out record. And it would be pointless and heartless to toss him out there without a fair amount of time playing that position in the regular season, which he isn't going to get before the end of the season.

So, time for Tay to eat his Wheaties, cause he's going to be playing 38 a night come playoff time.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Between call in shows, the internet, and various other forms of customer feedback, us fans are heard.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I had to work > 40 minutes today and it was exhausting. That is why I'm taking a break to tell you guys about it.

By the way, I looked on wikipedia for some Yogi quotes and I came across this classic paragraph.

WTF? It always sounds stupid when humor is explained.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would say that is great, but did you notice that the Pistons last four losses have been on the the last four Wednesdays....Check your calendars>> losses to the Bucs on 2/20, Jazz on 2/27, Celtics on 3/5, sixers on 3/12. > things that make you go uummmm??:sssh:

This means that something is happening on Monday or Tuesday that is affecting our play:beer::burp::dancingparty: We play the Cavs next Wednesday :sssh:
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Honestly, Win/Losses are irrelevant to me outside of the fact that you need to win games to be in the PO's. I'm more concerned with how the teams playing, the rotations, what the negatives/positives are in getting ready for the playoffs. LB was a master at using the reg season to prep for the PO's.

Regular season wins are deceiving. Look at the PHO Suns.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sure, sure. All of our former coaches were "masters". Just never while they were actually here.

We might not have anyone who is a legend in his own time, but we have a lot of people who are legends in their own minds. :MusicBigGrin:
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's funny stuff Dre.

At least no Pistons are being stalked on the way home from strip clubs this season...
  18. max

max All-Star

To me it was one of those good old Pistons "we don't have to bring our A-games to beat these guys" efforts in the 1st quarter that did us in. The next time it happends I would like to see Flip call a time out at the 6 min mark and pull every starter that was not giving it 100%. Keep doing that every game you see that happening and it should finally fix the problem. Besides the paying fans at the game deserve to see max effort from their team every night. And could the results of the 1st quarter have been any worse with the bench in?
  19. BillLaimbeer

Saunders basically did what you are suggesting. All 12 guys played in the first 14 minutes.
  20. max

max All-Star

Please don't make me lookup the game log. I am too lazy for that. I know the subs were near the end of the quarter with the exception of Sheed who was not supposed to play the full quarter from the start due to his injury. My suggestion is to pull them a lot sooner and all at once.