Away Philadelphia 76ers Wednesday Nov 14 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

del likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

How is this even happening?

This is the defense we have dreamed about for the last 3 years.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

20 points up in the 4th.........we got this...I mean we really got this. Congrats Pistons.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

15 point lead at the end of three.....Sixers shooting horribly and we missed six ft in the quarter and still maintain the lead....will this be the night? I am watching on my IPAD in a hotel on a rainy night in Orlando.....if they win, I might let out a big scream of relief.....and the people next room may think that I am over here with some woman....oops gotta keep it clean :) go Pistons

Can't get into chat on the IPAD, can anyone tell me if the can? Oh well looking at the game is good enough!
  5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

This isn't grinding out a win.

This is containing a transition team to what, 75 points or less? That is an incredible defensive effort, and I expect to see this kind of hustle paying off.

Side note - Maggette being Maggette -> 15 minutes. 4 fouls. 3 turnovers. 2 Rebounds. 4 Points.
    Also, I don't understand why English isn't being played. He is a good defender, plays with his head. Good to see Khris out there though.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Woohoo!!! All it took was Flu like symptoms and we finally get some production out of the 2 spot. 1-8. Who called it baby!!! lmao.
  7. roscoe36

Awesome Pistons victory. Singler plays so much smarter and harder at the 2 than our regular...
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did we hold Philly to sub 30% shooting? Or did they just have a bad shooting night?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose." - Austin Daye, via Twitter.

With this decisive victory, I can finally order the PF.com custom pizza. In fact, this effort pleased me so much, I've reconsidered the idea of taking one of our new clients to a game at the beautiful Palace in anticipation for a renewed season of entertaining Piston basketball.

Believe in your city, believe in your team.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe we should have held him out of the games when he had the migraines and maybe they'd be 4-5 instead of 1-8.....wonder if the doctor will keep Stuckey a couple of more games until he's healthy...in about 2 weeks. :)

Good starting effort by Singler
    roscoe36 likes this.
  11. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Man, they played well tonight... and that was without their starting SG. Think of how good they're going to be with this starting lineup:

Knight/Stuckey/Singler/Prince/Maxiell/Monroe

Singler is a GOOD defender - he stuck with his man, worked hard. I was impressed. In all fairness, it's not like Philly is some light-'em-up team (they were averaging under 90 ppg coming in), but this group really contained Young and Turner and it was like night and day out there defensively considering their recent efforts. Philly's starters shot a combined 11 for 44 (25%), and it's not like they were missing threes or open jumpers - these guys were well guarded.

I know it's one game, the Pistons match up well, and Philly is not a good team at all, but that was a good-looking starting five - especially the last 6 minutes of the second quarter where they blew the game open.

Oh, and that poke-steal dunk by Drummond was incredible - I've never seen a man that large do that to a guard.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  12. roscoe36

A little of both. The Pistons worked hard tonight for almost the entire game. It was good to watch. Felt like *2002*.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Philly looks like they lack discipline. The Pistons took away the oppotunistic freebies and Philly self destructed....just like we like to do.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Finally, a win. And gee, it was just a road trip. Losing all the games in a long road trip has happened to many a Piston coach. Just looks real bad when the season starts out with this sort of thing.

Got ya. No, we won tonight only because Stuck got the flu, and so we put an actual shooting guard at shooting guard the entire game. Don't expect further wins unless events lead to Stuckey staying out of more games. Philly put a ton of effort all game long into making sure Singler did not get the ball at the 3 line after he nailed a 3 in the first quarter. Singler also missed his first couple of midrangers as well as his first triple try, but he settled down and started hitting shots. On top of that, he got to the basket a few times, in control. Note, in 40 minutes of play, Singler did not have a turnover. Sixteen points, lots of aggressive play, but no turns. Philly did not exactly impress anyone tonight with there offense though to where any weakness Singler has on defense could be exposed or any strengths validated. I will note that he got 4 bounds, and is listed as a 2nd small forward in the box score - going taller can't hurt that much.

Maggette, as someone predicted earlier in this game thread, had a ton of offensive fouls, which accounted four all his turnovers. But he was not that bad for not having played this season and having unsure legs under him still. Nobody wants to leave him open though. He played a lot more than we thought he would based on pre-game comments.

Monroe was relentless, both on the boards, and in going inside. What, an 18 - 18 game, with 6 assists to boot? Incredible. And he is looking pretty steady at the free throw line.

Drummond played just fine. Got to love the poke-away / venus fly-trap like hands steal, and ensuing drive down the court and dunk. And don't forget the nice outlet pass to Singler for a score. (And kudos to Singler for being his usual hustling self being down there for that pass.

Tay was just on with his outside shooting, which was set up by his ability to go inside. He has for many years seemed to have his best stuff against Philly and tonight was more of that. I don't think the starting unit quite got to 50 rebounds. Hmm, 18 for Moose, 12 JMAX, 4 Singler, 7 Knight, and what, about 6 for Tay. Just a few shy of 50 I guess. Totally dominated the glass as a team tonight. JJ got 6 boards off the bench.

Knight, with shooting guards that can shoot the ball all game long, seemed to thrive on that. He made his shots, got to the rack, dished the assists, and added those rebounds.

Bynum hit a shot, got to the rack once - not much really - which is what he is suppose to be doing - keeping the focus off him.

JMAX did his usual = plus did his job on the defensive glass.

JJ seems to be in a shooting slump.

Number of minutes Drummond / Monroe were in together: zero.

Garbage time could have started a bit quicker. I would hate to see us lose some of these guys in the last 3 minutes of a blowout game.

In all, Philly looked none too impressive. I see they have 4 wins. I will have to research what sort of teams managed to lose to them.

Later. Great to have a win. Hope more follow soon and often.

Adding that Singler has a great nose for the ball in a crowd.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great Lee-cap. Couldn't have said it better if I tried.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet we would have won a few more games if they let us start 6 guys. Frank should try this.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Woohoo! Finally! :cheerlie-GOAL: In convincing fashion. And all it took was flu-like symptoms.

Kyle makes plays where you shake your head at him sometimes (the foul on the 3 try) but he played great. Run face first into Kwame's behind? No problem, hit a layup off a cut to the hoop. Get hit on the head? And one. He hustled all game long, meeting and greeting a bunch of sideline-sitting fans trying to catch loose balls. He brings things to the starting lineup that's been missing all season long - energy, better shooting and more importantly, movement without the ball. He made a difference in his first start.

Greg had a terrific game; 19/18/6 - 4 helpers shy of his second triple double. The only downside was the 6 turnovers (a career high I believe) and he could have scored at least 25 if he'd made his bunnies (how annoyed was he about that? "Get in there, (female dog)!" Got to respect the no profanity rules :MusicBigGrin:). But he was active, finding cutters on the floor and made every sixer defender work hard. He can shoot free throws with one eye closed too. Good job.

Brandon played well too, finishing with 15/7/7 - no 2/12 this time either; he was 5 of 9, right around 50% from the floor, and only 2 turnovers. The rebounds weren't of the fall in your lap variety either; he outfought guys like Thad Young for some of those. He was not without his iffy moments, but it was still mostly a good, well-balanced game for him. Malik Rose and the other guy on the Sixers broadcast loved him (and Monroe).

Tayshaun - when he plays like this, I almost forget about the last few years and how frustrated I can get with him. He made quick decisions, passed well, and shot well. He also didn't at any time look like someone had poured vinegar in his morning tea; I was happy to see him and Knight at the end of one quarter (and Greg and Kenny before the game) look relaxed and smiling again. It's been a while.

Max - only shot a few times (was 2/3 with a few FTs), all in the third quarter. He was the Max we all know, but rebounded much better than usual (12 boards to go with his 8 points). Oh yeah, with the amount of free throws the Sixers were missing, "Ball Don't Lie!" was a popular phrase on their home floor. I actually think it's catching.

JJ looks like he's struggling, and coach thankfully played him less than 15 minutes.

Maggette - Super Collider Plus. Unlike his SG version though, he's bigger and slower, and kept getting called for charges. Not a good look. But he's more active even off the ball, which helped the offense out tremendously. He also always looks like he's trying to make the shot.

Andre was fine, for the most part. He got a nice dunk off a Knight pass, blocked a shot and tried two iffy guard type shots that he missed, but he was able to rebound one and tip the other to a teammate. He's really BW-like on offense atm, but he has the potential to be much better on that end of the floor. Great hands, soft touch, and guard moves - but sometimes, as a big man, you just got to dunk that thing like McGee usually does. On the other end, he's got quick hands aside from the speed and athleticism - and example is the nice steal and dunk at the end of the game. That was awesome, almost Lebron-like especially with the one-handed hammer finish.

Bynum - he's someone's favorite somewhere, but six shots in 13 minutes and no assists to show for it when he played at least half the time with Monroe on the floor isn't what you'd want from the backup PG. He also dribbled himself into trouble quite a bit, resulting in an early hook at the start of the fourth.

Kenny and Khris got in the game for the last minute plus.

Coach Frank - I thought he did a solid job this game. JJ was struggling, so he brought in Monroe to cover him. When Bynum looked on the verge of causing a Sixer run, he got him off the floor. But I will give him the most credit for starting Kyle over Maggette. Yeah, Kyle's proven himself as a rookie, but most coaches start the vet first, so credit to him that he didn't.

Finally. Seriously, after 8 frustrating games, they broke through in emphatic fashion, making the Wiz the last winless team in the NBA for the second time in two years.
    The Panda likes this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Singler in the line up added a shooter and a player who could play in the flow. He already knows how to play the game more than many of his team mates.

Drummond is really altering shots in the lane and or clogging up opposing offenses when he is in.

Philly did not look good as Lee noted. They really need Andrew Bynum or they are too short.

Would someone coach JJ and Monroe on how to finish near the basket? Yes, Monroe did well but he needs to play even better if he is going to be one of the Piston cornerstones. And JJ seems to not have improved his outside shot.

Maybe Knight's development (and shot) has been slowed by all the time he is putting in learning the point.

Yes, Tay can still play when he has contributors around him.

Good to see the win.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons remained undefeated in the Eastern Conference with their win tonight.

It is ridiculous that they couldn't play Monroe and Drummond together tonight.

Kyle Singler has got to be the crown jewel of Joe's last few years. After a parade of stiffs trudging overseas to never be heard from again Singler went and is a player now. He's not going anywhere except for the Springfield of Joe's imagination.

Singler is a total North/South player which is refreshing. I still remember sitting and eating in his hometown of Medfield(?), OR the day he signed with the Pistons.

I don't care that Maggette is playing. I kind of like him now.

This was a successful night for the Pistons organization. Maxey got a lot of run and they got Drummond lots of rest.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Singler seems to have a knack for shooting 50%+ from the floor. Great form and he tends to be decisive while only taking open shots.

There were some strange happenings tonight:
    1) We destroyed an opponent on the road for our first win in 9 tries. Totally unexpected that our first win would be so easy.
    2) We did it while losing the turnover battle 4 to 17! That right there is as rare as it gets. A team commits 4 times as many turnovers and wins by 20????
    3) It would appear as though our rebounding was stellar tonight as we got them 57 to 38. However, the real reason for this was because Philly missed 59 shots and we only missed 38 shots. The offensive rebounds were basically a wash with each side getting about a dozen. That percentage favored us, but still the main point is just that Philly shot terribly at .298 from the field (it's like they had an entire team of Stuckeys).

I'm not quite ready to chalk this up to our defense since we statistically have the WORST defense in the entire NBA through the first 8 games. We give up 110.4 points per 100 possessions, which ranks us 30th... coincidentally, the same ranking as our attendance.

Until I see more, I'm assuming that this was Philly being tired, disinterested, hung over, or they all had migraines.

As far as being the worst team in the league, it looks like Washington has us covered. They have had the easiest strength of schedule in the league so far this year while we have had an average SOS.

One other thing, our pace has risen to 22nd! What on Earth could be causing this?