Home Philadelphia 76ers Sunday, December 01, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

With this win we maintained the 8th spot and are only 1.5 games out of the 3rd spot..:cheerlie-GOAL:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When this big unit is clicking, it is really fun to watch. Jennings and Smith really up the pace and the starting unit has fantastic hands which allows them to function in the chaos. It's funny that Drummond played out the game tonight. I guess Mo didn't feel like we needed to score...

Who knows what Mo is thinking with his rotations... guys go from being in the doghouse to getting extended run with other doghousers in real situations. Seems like he's just pulling straws randomly. At least we get to actually see what these guys can do though instead of guessing. I think that if put in the right situation, any player on any NBA roster can contribute- except for some of the 7' stiffs that are there as stunt doubles. It's kind of crazy to put in all the 3rd stringers at once though because they are forced to go from playing roles to starring.

If you rank the league by point differential (the best indicator of team strength IMO), then we are 20th at -2.0 points per game.
    Here are the teams we've beaten and their rank:
    WAS 19
    BOS 23
    SAC 24
    NYK 25
    BRK 26T
    PHI 26T
    MIL 29

Here are the teams that we've lost to:
    MEM 21 (in OT)
    LAL 17
    LAL 17
    ATL 16
    ATL 16
    CHI 15
    GSW 9
    OKC 8
    POR 6
    IND 1

So, our biggest accomplishment of the year so far is beating Washington, a team ranked one spot ahead of us in point differential. Our biggest choke was losing to Memphis in overtime, a team ranked 1 spot behind us in point differential. Every single other game has ended up the way that point differential would have predicted. We should have knocked down a couple quality wins, but let them slip through our fingers. We also barely hung onto a couple leads where we pulled out the Ws.

We've topped 100 points 8 times and we've give up 100 7 times.

I'm seeing progress through. Josh Smith has climbed into positive +/- territory on the season. Pope has anchored the starting unit defensively. Stuckey is bringing incredible consistency and firepower to his 6th man role. Drummond is effortlessly racking up double doubles in the flow of the games. Jennings is looking to pass first and still scoring.

Hopefully Billups is giving Jennings some great guidance.

J-Train likes this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Does the point differential predict or describe?

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By describes, I'm assuming that you mean correlates with Win percentage.

Team: diff rank/ win % rank/ difference
    IND: 01/ 01/ 0
    SAS: 02/ 02/ 0
    MIA: 02/ 03/ 0 (because they are T2)
    DET: 20/ 20/ 0
    UTA: 30/ 30/ 0

Here is how the league figures:
    W% rank within 3 of point diff rank: 21 teams
    within 4: 25 teams

Here are the aberrations:
    LAL have a record that is 6 worse than their point differential
    TOR has a record that is 7 better than their point differenetial
    MIN has a record that is 9 better
    MEM has a record that is 9 worse

So, bet on LAL and MEM to rise in the standings and TOR and MIN to fall as the law of averages catches up with them.

Point differential is considered to be much more predictive than W-L percentage. To take it to the extreme, imagine that you are peaking in at the Chinese southern province league and he see that 2 teams are going to play each other: 1 team is 3-0 with an average point differential of 20 points per game and the other team is 3-0 with an average point differential of 3 points per game. You know where you're putting your money. It is just more information. W and L's are just a binary outcome where tons of information is lost.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    The Panda, TheeTFD and linwood like this.
  5. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's what I always believing in. Thank you Sir.

6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I've never seen a more accurate and succinct summary of the mindset of the statistician and its (implied) comparison to the mindset of the traditional fan.

brofmfa and linwood like this.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If they keep hacking Drum they'll break his hands, then where are we ?

KGREG likes this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It might help his FT shooting if he was wearing 2 casts.

Nemo and linwood like this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watched a replay of the first half. We run too much pick and roll, and we're not all that succesfull at it. Our bigs STILL can't set a decent screen off the ball. I watched the Clev Vs Chi game- Noah, Boozer, and Gibson almost live to set a good screen. When Stuckey is in the game we should run him off the ball in addition to his mid range post up; I think there are some lob opportunities off that play (a la Rip to Ben) for Stuck to toss to Dre.

brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Really great video share. Pistons actually look competent in that.

The Panda likes this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Backing track makes it!

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just went back & rewatched this one, again. Bored I guess since we all had to miss out on the postponed Atlanta game. I try these days to just rewatch a game just once these days. I was up to five viewings several years ago but have gotten that down to viewing a game twice before erasing it. I do keep a few earlier games, like one a month, just to get a look at where we were.

So what did I see. First, this one was one against a very weak team. But yet, not a single Philly player was anywhere near so bad as to not be able to shut down Singler if they guarded him. Singler went one for seven and the coach saw fit only to play him 16 minutes. And since both Billups and Bynum were injured for this one, we saw a full 32 minutes of basketball from the Pistons without any of our really poor defensive players. And we were dominating so badly during those 32 minutes that boredom was the main thing the Pistons were fighting.

Drummond could not be stopped, Smith scored plenty, Monroe pulled down a bunch of bounds, Jennings had a double double in the first half. Pope hit a couple of 3's early. Our starters had no competition on the floor. Of note, Harrellson played very little in this game, but was plus 9. My game report at the time was way too severe on the guy. He really did well when in with the starters, including when Monroe got tossed for a second tech. I totally take back the idea of this player getting replaced. Harrellson looks good whenever we go to him.

JJ made a lot of mistakes, as my report says, but he also looked great inside going for rebounds. He had the size and strength to compete inside. Unfortunately, he played half and half small / power forward in this one. He really, really needs some solid time at small forward. We know JJ is a lot better than he showed in this game, as far as the goofs. He just is rusty, not in the flow of the game. Ok, enough for now. Who really want to read about an old game. I might write more, depending on the feedback. Goodnite. Can't wait til the next one, tomorrow night.

The Panda likes this.
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Agree, Singler put on a show in this one. Best player on the floor.

linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i GUARANTEE that sixers will win this game!

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice call, Wiggles.

17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

that's GIGGLES! lol

roscoe36 likes this.