Away Philadelphia 76ers Monday Dec 10 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

at Philadelphia 76ers

Monday Dec 10 2012 - 7:00 PM EST

Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA

TV: FS Detroit Plus, NBATV

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Still no love from ESPN, ABC, or TNT, but the Pistons get a nationally televised game on NBA TV to show off their skills and showcase B.oT
  4. roscoe36

5. roscoe36

I don't get this game on League Pass online. I hate these guys. This is like the 4th game I don't get so far this year. Why am I paying for this?
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Because it is a NBA TV game probably. That's some BS.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

BoT ftw? Was that what Frank was thinking when he left freaking BoT on the floor with the game on the line? Blech.

Greg is sort of out of his shooting slump (22 points)... sort of because he just kept missing layups, more importantly a crucial one with the game still within reach. Do I expect too much? I don't know, but Monroe simply has to get himself under control and make the easy ones when he has them. His FG% is poor for a big man who doesn't take a lot of jumpers.

Brandon was ok, played pretty well offensively and had his turnovers under control with just 2 as opposed to 4 assists to go with his 22 points. He was also the better 3 point shooting fellow Stuckey ignored to take a horrible, contested stepback 3. He rushed that last 3 he took though it was admittedly well contested.

Rodney shoots >30% from behind the long line and he settled for one of those when his team still had a chance with around a minute of game time left (and they were in the penalty). He was 0 for 4 tonight. I dislike the fact that I could tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was going to take that horrible shot; he never even turned his head to see if anyone was open seeing as the defense was tuned to him. And he'd been playing pretty well before that point.

Tayshaun - down 6, you're open for a moment at the 3 point line, and you pump fake into traffic eating up even more time in order to hoist up a contested hook shot - brilliant. Simply brilliant, and emblematic of the bad decision making that permeated the Pistons in this loss.

Kyle was a non factor again outside of the one 3 pointer he hit late in the first half.

BoT - oh how I hate thee, let me count the ways. :angrysoapbox: :shout::granade::loser::gaah:

Corey - "..."

Andre was a non-factor as well coming off his invisible to the boxscore great showing in Cleveland. 0 rebounds, points, steals, 2 blocks, 2 fouls in 13 minutes. He (and Knight) were also the victims of Jrue Holiday crossovers.

Max - was 1 for 1o from the floor, but BoT playing in place of him when he was the team's leading rebounder up to that point (and until the end of the game) is a real head scratcher for me, primarily because we needed solid rebounding (Evan Turner grabbed how many rebounds at the end?) which BoT does not provide, and that's without mentioning the fact that he plays horrid defense.

Pistons go back home to the Palace to take on Denver - NBA schedule makers certainly aren't doing us any favors.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For those that don't have NBA TV let me give you the visuals here. Sixers 104...Pistons 97

This was a winnable game, but we could not close it out despite the game being tight for most of the 4th quarter. To many missed bunnies by Moose,& Tay or miscues or missed shots by Knight down the stretch. Jrue Holliday killed the Pistons in crunch time and Thad Young continually got in the paint to get those ezy buckets that the Pistons seemed to miss out on. It was a 3 pt game with a minute left in the game when Monroe missed what looked an easy layup, but a missed turned into a bucket on the other end by the Sixers other thorn in the side, Evan Turner who seem to have his best game since he left Columbus.

We could not stop Jrue (25pts) as he broke the ankles of Knight and any other Piston that got in his way. Stuckey and Knight got their points, but not when it counted in the last 60 seconds of the game.

Moose tied Knight with a team 22 pts, but 8 of those were from the line and he missed at least 3-4 bucket/bunnies right under the hoop.

Max started off grabbing 7 boards in the first quarter but was also 0-8 in the first half and finished the night 1-10 getting his only bucket on a under the hoop dunk....If only Moose could finish or even learn how to dunk whenever he was under the bucket....

Speaking of 1-10 shooting Max, you only wish that Singler who played 3 more minutes than Max would have taken more than 4 shots. For every shot he passes on, Knight or Stuckey will take it and the collider was the only bright spot off the bench as he finished with 19 pts (including 9-9 from the FT line).

The Pistons actually stayed in the game in the first half by going to the charity stripe and had a 3 pt lead. However, LFranco once again said something that must have perturbed the starters as once again they came out flat and allowed the Sixers to put together a 17-0 run and go up 11 before the Pistons stopped it with a few more trips to the FT line.

The Pistons last lead was 80-78 with about 10 minutes left in the game. The Pistons last FT attempt was at 8:59 left in the game. So the one factor that was keeping the game close disappeared for the rest of the game and even their was some banging under the hoop in crunch time, there were no charity visits to bail them out.

One thing that irked me we the Pistons inability to defend after a ball out of bounds. The Pistons gave up two buckets with less that three seconds on the clock as the defense was caught looking the other way when the Sixers took the ball out. The Sixers also scored at the end the half when Maalik Wayans scored on an and one situation when he drive the court scored with 3 seconds on the clock after Singler had hit a three on the other end to put the Pistons up 6 with 10 seconds left in the half.

In case anybody's asking, Dre was non factor in this one. Took one shot and had NO boards, but did get a couple of blocks.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Collins did a great job of keeping Dre involved in the p and rs to keep him well away from the defensive glass and prevent him from blocking shots as an off ball defender. Larry has got to do a better job of putting groups on the floor that actually mesh. He also needs a punch in the arm to start the second half to remind him that he is allowed to make substitutions in the second half. Again the 6ers went on a 17 point run to start the second half , and our response was to insert CV ? We allowed them to run up on us wayyyy too long before making a move to stop the bleeding, and to me, this is where we lost the game.
    BallDon'tLie and KGREG like this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't put much stock in stats. JMAX got some boards, but him and Drummond let Philly own the offensive glass. It was horrid - and the defense was pourous. JMAX is no NBA starter. And if these two non-defense playing, non-defensive rebounding types were not in, then maybe it got worse. Drummond paired with CV. CV can't defend in the least bit. He should not be on the team, so I will basically call for the firing of both Dumars for having him on the team, and the coach for playing the guy. Coach falls in love with a few CV threes. A very old, tired, worn down excuse in these here parts. All Pistons fans know just what bad news CV represents on this team. Dumars should admit he made a huge mistake signing the guy - right along with Gordon, and fire himself while he is at it just after firing Frank for playing the guy.

No interior D was played at any point in the game. And guess what, our guards and small forward were called upon to shore up the unshoreable, letting the perimeter D go wanting greatly. As far as I can see, if anyone even dares play out on the perimeter to actually try to defend, that player will lose their minutes to someone else who will instead help feed coach's fantasy that his interior defender choices work.

Great that we got to see three scorers, actually 4 (Tay, Stuckey, Monroe, and Knight) all get so many points. But hey, with no D, so what. Points that are not backed up on the defensive end are not worth much.

Despite the stats, Drummond did a lot of good on defense. But he can only do so much with just one of him in the game. CV represents pretty much a zero next to him.

Good to see Singler hit a couple of shots. But that 0 for ever stretch to start the 3rd (and we started the 1st badly too) cries out for another good three point shooter to start with Singler. Real simple solution. Move Singler up to small forward, and start English at shooting guard.

And as for the total lack of defensive rebounding and interior defense? Start Monroe and Drummond together.

All for now. Another coaching loss. Another game wasted, sitting our future star on the bench most of the game and he never got but 2 fouls. No excuse - except coach's delusion, shared by past coaching losers, that CV is an NBA player.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I agree that very little defense was played by the Pistons. The exterior defense was poor. This team needs to play its games in the 80s and 90s.

Yes, they tried to keep Drummond outside with the pick and roll. Teams will be trying to do that more often to neutralize him if they have the personnel.

Inexperience and coaching cost the team this win. When you are bigger and you can get to the line more, you are suppose to win in the NBA. The coach is just slow to react--he doesn't seem to sense when he has an advantage and exploit it or when a run is going against his team. You would think his starting five is the championship Pistons of 2004 the way he runs with it.

The Pistons have little offense in crunch time because their is no ball handler. For example, I don't blame Monroe on that miss under the hoop with about a minute left. Knight passed up a decent shot and threw a 3 foot lob pass to Monroe in traffic. I blame Knight on the play--but hey--he is really playing like a decent shooting guard trying to be a point guard.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I blame Jim Leyland.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, Drummond has played something like 20 games. He is held to a higher standard then the other Pistons.

This is where the statues lose me too. Stuckey scored a layup tonight because Drummond ran the court and cleared a path for him. Drummond blocked a shot at the rim when he was covering a guy on the wing.

The problem isn't that Drummond went for 0 and o or 2 or whatever it was. The problem is that he only played 13 minutes.

Amen Lee..........Amen.
    The Panda likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Greg Monroe is almost as bad as BoT on defense. I'm happy with the recent play of BK7, but he really struggles to stay in front of his man, but the entire league is getting crossed over by Jrue this season so I can't fault the kid for not being able to do what nobody else can do either. This summer needs to be spent wooing the heck out of OJ Mayo.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Some observations:

LOL at the Sixers color analyst for comparing the Stuckster to LeBron in the 2nd Q. Aside from the fact that they're both humans, I really don't see much of a resemblance.

Jrue Holiday is good.
    The Philly crowd (and announcers) went "And-1 Mixtape crazy" when he dropped Knight in the 2nd half on a crossover. ...settle down guys. Your boy Spencer Hawes tripped the heck out of young Brandon.
    ...Still, Holiday = good!

Speaking of Spencer Hawes, his mullet makes him look like an extra on The White Shadow.

The BoT once again used this game as an opportunity to cement his place on that "50 Most Usless NBA Players" list that was posted in another thread. I know I shouldn't care that much but I get so bleeping mad when The Little General sticks CV out there for extended periods. I realize that this is nothing new and all of us feel this way. I guess that's what makes it all the more frustrating.
    I've come to the conclusion that a Charlie Villanueva BOBBLEHEAD could play better defense than the actual Charlie Villanueva. ...At least with the bobblehead, you have the odd chance that the opposing player might trip over the damn thing on the way to the hoop.

I've also come to the realization that Tayshaun Prince is the co-worker that places a big pile of work on your desk at 4:56 pm.
    ..."I know your probably getting ready to head home for the day but would you mind taking care of this for me by tomorrow morning?"
    Tay spent the entire game making sweet passes to his teammates with 1 second left on the (expletive) shot clock. Why is Prince so immune to benching for kicking the ball out to Brandon Knight, standing at half court with the clock running down? For cryin out loud, Brandon was already getting back on defense when he had to take a Prince pass and go all lee 356 and launch a half-courter as the horn sounded. Unlike lee, Knight couldn't convert. Maybe our guards need to spend more time practicing their half court jumpers since this seems to be a focal point of the "Piston" offense.
    ...Tayshaun Prince is where NBA ball movement goes to DIE!

I'm off to BestBuy to pick up a new TV now.
    I threw a brick through mine last night.

...uggghhh, ...go pistons.
    alexa032, The Panda, del and 5 others like this.
  16. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Agreed with the above - a LOT on the coach AGAIN in this one. His inability to follow the runs of the game have seen us go loooong stretches with 0 points to our name or fail to capitalise when we are on a roll. Monroe is having one of his best games offensively in a month and you sit him for how long in the 4th? Played 34mins - should have been closer to 40. Knight (with only one shortened season behind him) played 38 in the Cavs game when he dropped 30 - is there something about Monroe's conditioning we don't know?

Frank keeps preaching that Drummond has to earn his time, yet I saw Monroe, Max and BoT all do things that Drum gets yanked for immediately and they stay on the floor. When you're playing bad D all round and Max gaffs, who do you bring in? BoT.

This too. Still playing the most minutes of anyone on the team where as this should be our best (current) player - Monroe. Not like Prince is providing any leadership - I saw him pull the guys in at the top of the key just before some FT attempts, which has to be the first time this season.

And BoT in to close the game? Come on Frank - are you serious?

F.....F......S!

At least Maggette was given hardly any time. Hopefully he finally sits him and uses English again soon.

I never want to see Stuckey shoot another 3 ball. What makes him think he can hit them from a metre behind the line with someone in his face. Maybe he heard the announcers LeBron comparison. "Stuckey... FYI.... You're not even close".

Hopefully at least Monroe took a couple of things from this game:
    1. The no-call-foul-whining has infected the only guy other than Max you wouldn't expect it too - Singler failed to run the floor, leaving his team mates outnumbered on the other end for a Sixers bucket. See what this is doing?!?!
    2. When you hustle, you can impact just as much. Down double digits in the third, he chases down the ball off his own miss and causes a turnover. This gets everyone going and another hustle play off of a FT miss and we end up being only 5 down when we go back down the floor.

More hustle, less whining Monroe!

I was really looking forward to seeing the rookies and team develop this season - all I'm seeing is the most frustrating things:
    - One of the best rookies from the lottery, one of the least minutes from the lottery (and not through injury)
    - Complaining players leading to easy buckets
    - Porous defence
    - Horrible offensive flow

Retire the "Detroit Basketball" call for a while - this sums up the Pistons better at the moment.