Away Philadelphia 76ers Friday Jan 6 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 3, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2012.
  1. Detroit

33.3%
  2. Philadelphia

66.7%
  1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No BG, no Stuckey, no contest.... After shooting 50% in the first quarter and trailing by one, the gang that shouldn't straight fail to excecute simple layup and was just cold-cold from the outside ....including 0-10 from beyound the arc. JJ and bynum shot 3-9 each, Daye was 2-11 and Tay was 4-13. Greg Monroe was able to get loose enough to drop in 22, but no other Piston could score more than 10 . bynum got 10, but he was burned in the 4th when Jodie Meeks scored most of his 17 points on him. (no wonder he was a -20) Knight, starting in place of strained groin Stuckey, grabbed 10 boards, but the Sixers Spencer Hawes never seemed to be boxed out grabbing a game high 14 boards and a scored on a bunch of putbacks. Nothing much esle to say here other than both Daye and Knight sprained their ankles in the first half but both returned in the second half to help with no defense of Bynum when the Sixers turned a 81-70 lead game into a 92-71 runaway in less than 3 minutes. Fox sports put up a stat indicating the Pistons were 29th in the lead in 4th quarter scoring at about 20 ppq. I am almost certain that they have to in the bottom 4 in scoring too. The guards are not running the offense right, and are shooters are coming up short and Tay is still taking to many shots and holding it to long.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What Philly did last year is what the Pistons can hopefully do this year. Start bad, come together and finish strong. Still not a fan of BK, but he did grab 10 rebs, and even though he laid enough bricks to build Philly a new arena, it's possible that eventually those shots will fall, as far as all his TO's-experience or the lack thereof- expected rookie mistakes. BK isn't bad, but he isn't very good either. Austin Daye is fragile mentally and physically. Daye is 6'11 but plays like a 6'6" SG who can't jump and who plays weak, my least favorite Piston right now. When Tayshaun doesn't really feel like playing........it's UGLY. Moose did his thing tonight! 22pts and he left 6 on the floor, if he had smarter teammates he would have easily dropped 30.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Didn't get to watch the game, just checked the box score when I got home. Ooof! That's one ugly box score.

4. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Exactly why we should trade Daye. I know people are enamored by his potential, but he plays to weak to amount to anything. He is a preseason player. He did so well in the preseason that most of us thought he'd be capable of taking Tay's place. But I am thankful Tay is still here. As much as we say his playing sucks when he is disinterested, that's how Daye is playing right now even without the position handed to him.

Knight is gonna be ok. At the very worst, he can be a very capable backup, but he shows signs of becoming more than that.

Right now, I hate to say it but we may not have a reliable SG along with not having a reliable center. We have a PG, SF, JJ will survive at the PF and Monroe at C.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Things are not all that bad. Monroe is legit. He was in essence a top 3 pick in 2010. Who would take Turner, or Udoh ahead of him as they were chosen for example? And the Pistons didn't tank like they were suppose to--so Monroe falling into their laps was pure luck. Where will Monroe level off? Try one of the top bigs in the league in about two years.

JJ needs to figure out some kind of shot as he drives to about 5 feet away from the hoop. No, passing there is not usually the best option. It will take some time. His outside shot will get steadier with time. In two years, I wonder if Philly will really be better than the Pistons? I did not see great players on their team. Hawes is ok. I already like JJ and Monroe over their bigs.

The Piston offense is not efficient enough right now. Knight will make turnovers learning the game. His shot is not there yet. The Piston poor offense scores for the other team as it leads to their transition game. Also, the team gets down as they can't score easily enough. It is then hard to keep up the defensive intensity.

Daye simply cannot handle the ball. It is his third year.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I still don't know how Monroe is so efficient. His shot kind of stinks, his post moves are limited, he can't jump... but he gets it done. This may actually be a case of quick hands. His passing ability seems great, but he doesn't do much of it. I would love to see Jonas at the 3, Monroe at the 4, and Cousins at the 5 just for a few games to see how it would work.

linwood likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Monroe is a throwback. He's plays like a 12 year vet who has lost their hops, but still has good footwork and is crafty. I kind of like the fact that Monroe isn't like Blake Griffin, it lets you know that as he ages he won't lose his athleticism...........mainly because he doesn't have any.

Rocastle likes this.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Was it really just last week we were all clamoring for the return of Charlie G? 9 guys went down with injuries and this stiff still couldn't get on the court. I still can't decide who was a worse signing, CCG or Gordon.

I was surprised when I read Knight's stats this AM. I thought he was terrible last night. (I missed the 1st Q.) I do not like his shot selection. He has no "rhythm" when he shoots.

A few people mentioned the Pistons playing with greater effort this year and they did appear to be playing with some organization late in the game.

How much better would this team be with Afflalo in place of Gordon?

10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Monroe's efficiency doesn't come from superb execution of the good things, but from an ability to avoid the bad stuff. He plays within his skills, perhaps sometimes to his detriment, but that also means he doesn't make too many mistakes, doesn't take shots he can't make, etc.

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I agree. Monroe doesn't push the limits. He needs to develop some sort of long range shot. He doesn't have to camp out at the 3 pt. line, but he needs to be able to pull the defense to him and bury the occasional long range shot.

12. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I think Monroe plays a smart and very efficient game. He plays within his boundaries and he is always in control. He has shown the ability to play back to the basket and to spot up 12-14 footer, he can drive to the hoop and can finish with left or right handed hook. I dont want him to extend his shot much further than that otherwise we are getting another big that steps outside for no reason. We have been screaming on this board for a big that can bang down low and get some baskets inside. What we need is the rest of our team to be able to hit their damn shots when he kicks it out. He is beginning to draw double teams in the post and he kicks it out and all our guys pass the ball around the perimeter instead of taking the shot.

13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Monroe develops that 12-15 footer well enough, he could be a McDyess post injury type player, but younger, and in better shape. Very similar skill set, but Monroe was NEVER able to play above the rim, the way Dyess did.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Daye didn't look nearly as bad as people made it out to be. EVERYONE on this team throws the ball away...a lot. In the 2nd half he resorted to floating at the 3 pt line. But he was looking to score and generally made a good decisions. He looked a bit out of the flow but that is to be expected. Wilkins looked very good and created several turnovers.
    BK didn't look that great but he is a work in progress and we are giving him experience.

Sooo glad Monroe fell to us.

Hawes would have been great on this team.