Philadelphia 76ers Dec. 5th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 28, 2008.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

obviously a really disappointing and wholly unnecessary loss.

we all saw all kinds of good things up through around the 8 or 7 minute mark of the fourth. up until that point, good ball movement and active defense from the starters and the usual force and energy from the bench.

what i saw after that that was driving me crazy: philly upped its defensive intensity, overplaying passing lines from the point to the wing, and picking up ball handlers. very tough on ball defense. at that point, it seemed to me the pistons just needed to go to the basket. stuckey and Ai getting a step on their guys, going hard to the basket to finish, get fouled, or else dish to someone else cutting through the lane. Except they didn't do that: they didn't drive to the basket, and when they did, nobody else moved. so they settled for jump shot, which created long rebounds and philly runouts and nobody got back on defense, and even if philly missed the first shot, the pistons weren't in a position to pull defensive rebounds..

in a way, this game really illustrated the symbiotic relationship between offense and defense and vice versa. active tough defense makes for easy baskets. settling for too many jumpshots makes for more misses fewer offensive boards and makes it harder to get back and set up a defense and to rebound.

still, i think it would be a mistake to group this loss into the same category as either of the boston losses, or minny or portland. the pistons played really well for most of this game and looked in synch all around for most of it. i'm not saying that the collapse wasn't a problem, or that it wasn't frustrating in the moment. just that i don't see it as tremendously meaningful or portentous. on the contrary, once you put the disappointment and frustration of the moment aside, and look at the game on balance, there are, in my opinion, more positives than negatives. alright...whale away:granade:!
  2. max

max All-Star

Bit shocking. I really do think that Curry needs to figure out what his money lineup is and go with that during crunch time. Its not so much that the Sixers caught up in that they should have been able to put them away at home.

All throughout that 4th it seemed slow to make a adjustments and a step behind the whole way.

I really do hate Prince at PF. Yea it worked one time against the Lakers but its not been the winning formula since then. Maybe its also about time to let AI be AI.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons just are not able to play in any kind of flow for very long since the trade. Their team cohesion is not there as I have mentioned before. While they can beat almost anybody, they can lose to almost anybody.

The small ball didn't work this time and Curry got stuck too late in the 4th using it. Then, he couldn't change it. 38 points is a joke. The Pistons can not win with offense because their offensive execution is not that good. They must get stops.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice clutch jumper and free throws by Stuckey, even if it didn't result in a win.

AI's drive and careless turnover when we were up 1 was a pretty bad mistake.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Wow.

I guess we all need to reevaluate what exactly makes someone a good player. You can avg 20 ppg, 10 rpg, about 2 bpg, be one of the best off. Reb in the league, an all starrecieve a max or damn near max contract over a 9 year career, yet you don't have a positive impact on your team(s).

Amazing.
  6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

sorry everyone, don't know why my recap posted twice.:redface:
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No big deal. You're just making up for the people who never post.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Zach Randolph averaged close to that. Someone gave Keith Van Horn a max contract. Those things don't mean much to me.

I never said EB wasn't good. I said he's a good player, but he's not a franchise player or a max money player which in effect makes him overrated b/c that's what he's labeled as.

Like someone said Elton Brand puts up the quietest 20/10. I've never seen him be able to take over a game, and for a supposed elite level PF he doesn't have much success in terms of winning. He's not a game changer. Sheed can put up 10/10 and his impact on a game can far exceed Elton's (And i'm not implying Sheed is a max player; although he is a max money level talent)
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lot of good things from the Pistons tonight. But small ball negated it all. Lots of completely unneeded, worthless, crazy, small ball with Prince in there masquerading as a power forward.

In the first half, which featured a whole lot of JMAX and Amir, and Kwame and Sheed playing most of the first quarter, Philly did not get any 2nd chance points. Even thru the 3rd quarter with Sheed and Kwame still in, no 2nd chance points for Philly.

But then we featured small ball for several minutes at the end of the game, and could not keep them off the boards. Simply a coaches decision to lose the game. Is some kind of joke being pertrayed on us fans. Some kind of silly statement from Curry that he misses Dyess? Hey, tonight, you had JMAX and Amir available, and even Kwame, and you chose to use Tay as a power forward.

In contrast, Philly used a rookie small forward, who happens to be 6-10, to start the game. No, Philly does not go small. They got Iggy playing shooting guard. They do not go small. No reason for us to go small. Just Curry playing around with who knows what.

OK, maybe some of this is venting after watching our old nemesis do us in with a 3 ball. Mr. Marshall seems to be still playing hoops.

It ended up being a close game, and Marshall made that shot. Darn. But hey, we had some control of the game before we went to small ball. And we had control of the game before Curry decided to quit using any of Afflalo, JMAX, or Amir, some of our best defensive players.

Also, no, I do not like AI playing the whole 2nd half. This is the Pistons. Play fresh players. Note, AI did very well for much of the game. Shots made, assists from getting inside, decent D. He was worthless in the 4th, just possibly from never getting any rest. I know he still thinks he's 20, but he is not. Rest is good for them all, even AI.

Stuckey was pretty amazing in the first half. They put together a highlight film of his three drives in - very good stuff. The best of course had to be the left hand ten footer. But his outside shooting was pretty darn impressive as well.

Rip was hitting his shots. Mr. Dependable again. Sheed and Kwame got some bounds and did some scoring. No, Sheed did not overemphasize the 3 ball.

Sheed did not even play in the 2nd quarter. We held Philly to 25% shooting that quarter, with AI, then Rip, then Prince playing with the subs. (Stuckey, Afflalo, JMAX, Amir.) That was one excellent quarter. (Philly shot 57% in the first quarter in contrast. And yes, it was mostly Philly's starters vs. our subs in that 2nd quarter.) In the 2nd half, Amir came in for a few minutes, then did not return to start the 4th quarter. No reason. Just a bad decision by Curry. Why the heck not use what worked so well in the 2nd quarter. I guess it will remain a mystery.

In case nobody has guessed it, I do hate small ball. And I hate to see the Pistons lose. In reading other comments tonight on a couple of boards, I see that there is a whole lot of agreement with my sentiments on small ball. All we can hope is that this is not a look into how good Curry can do as a coach. (Cause if this is truly his best attempt at winning a game, we are in for a long season. Lets hope mightily that he was just experimenting with something.)

In proof reading this, I see I got one thing wrong. Afflalo was part of that small ball unit for a while. Still no good.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This phrase is getting soooooooo cliche. :mad:
  11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Don't know what Curry's obsession with small ball is. It seems like he's using it because he wants to get Stuckey or Afflalo on the floor, but is afraid if he yanked Tay, Rip, or AI, they would get all pissy (which they probably would). This leads me toward thinking that Rip is going to have to get moved at some point for a decent big (Kaman?), so that Curry can get Stuckey or AA on the floor in crunch time without having to go small.
  12. max

max All-Star

Took care of it for you.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Here is a simpler solution: Don't play AI the entire 2nd half. Actually, Stuckey and Afflalo palyed plenty in that 4th quarter.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

WTF happen? I got on the plane coming home and my blackberry says Pistons up 48-38 at the half....get home 3 hours later and turn on the League Pass stats channel and lord and be hold I see the Pistons LOST the GAME...Ms Dre was wondering what I was yelling about...

The game is sitting on my DVR, but not sure I want to watch it now. Why do we put so much faith in this team and coach???:confused:
  15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I know the optimists here (and they do have the right to be optimistic) are going to tell us to be patient with this. but its been a month and we've made no improvement in consistency.

i don't know how much longer i can put up with this horse****. we're a 500 team. 7-7.

total team meltdown. the starters don't even look interested. The team as a whole is becoming a ball stopping offense. Even in the impressive wins they've had, there's been poor ball and player movement. I'm starting to agree with RJC's avatar, starting to think that Curry is a moron with his infatuation with small ball. Tayshaun doesn't have the nuts to play PF.

PS.

i don't ****ing understand how Rasheed Wallace can just LAY DOWN at any given time. seven shots?!

We've have him since 2004 and his habits STILL baffle me! Good effort from the bench scoring wise and not enough money-players can get out of f***ing bed.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Plus/minus leaders:

Good:
    Amir +9
    Kwame +7

Bad:
    Afflalo -16
    Sheed -15
  17. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

But how much worse is this than trotting out the 6'8"-6'9" Amir and playing him at power forward?

It's worse....but not by much IMO.
  18. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I haven'seen the game yet so can't really comment on it but don't think there are any excuses for this loss.
    - Philly without their star player
    - Pistons well rested and playing at home
    - It's not a sunday
    and they still loose?????

Pistons have turned into an average team that wins some and loosses some.
    And don't come with arguments like it will take time, be patient, etc.
    Pistons were good enough to build a double digit lead, didn't need to be patient there.

Wasn't it the same last year against Boston (even with Billups, so spare the trade rethorical). Clearly nothing has changed for some players they have right now.

I'm very frustrated at the moment and i havent even watched the game lol.
    I guess i have to watch it to see some good within it. :sherlock:
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I also didn't see the game, but.....

Giving up 38 points in the 4th doesn't sound like a small ball problem.
    Sounds like a no ball problem. Somebody turned the switch off in the 4th. :eyebrows:
    Are these guys quitting in MC already?
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Maxiell purportedly owns Elton Brand but last night couldn't own one stinking rebound in 16 wasted minutes of play considering his position.

It's definitely a problem with smallball, but unlike my fellow forumites I think these guys are just plain small, playing ball.

I'm not going to deceive myself by thinking that everything is going to come up roses as long as Curry keeps Rasheed or Kwame on the floor 100% of the time. (If you folks are honest with yourselves you will come to the conclusion that this is the only way to really not play smallball with this current team.)

Thats not the issue.

The issue is that Amir and Maxey are undersized power forwards that also happen to be so unidimensional (the reason neither of them can play the 3) that Coach Curry would rather play Tayshaun at the 4.
    In all actuality Tayshaun likely has the highest standing reach of the three, and is negligibly smaller (though he possibly could in fact be stronger) than Amir.