Philadelphia 76ers Dec. 5th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Max hasn't got enough PT to "own" anybody.

And you are right, you are probably the only b-ball fan that thinks EB is overated. Perhaps you are correct and everyone else is wrong.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I dont think EB is overrated..but he is the quietest 20-10 guy you'll ever see. He reminds me of Dyess in the way that he rebounds well, shoots a good mid range, but hes a compliment player and not a building block. Which is wierd when hes a 20-10 guy...if that makes sense to anyone outside of my head...lol
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Elton Brand has had a great career. Jerry Krause should never have traded him.
  4. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A little rationality: the discussion of whether someone is overrated or not would be a bit clearer if there were some reference to what the rating is in the first place.

In other words, he's been an all-star. That's a kind of rating. Should he not have been?

The fact that he hasn't won (much) and hasn't made his teammates better (however that would be assessed) really doesn't mean he's overrated unless somebody says: man that Elton Brand is a terrific player who wins and makes his teammates better.:cheers:

I mean the "yes he is" "no he isn't" back and forth might be fun (and I know I know I can always ignore it). But on the off chance that someone was actually interested in a real discussion of the matter I thought I'd throw out there what seem to me to be the necessary bases for that discussion.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I didn't think it was necessary for me to prove EB is not overated. His play and respect from his peers and coaches is enough for me.

All Star appearances and in the running for MVP is worthy of a rating also. Matter of fact, one year he may have won MVP if he wasn't an LA Clipper!
  6. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

who can make their teammates better if they have **** for teammates, outside of one year where everyone was healthy? I'm not a fan of that whole "he's not a winner" crap either. Sheed wasn't a "winner" until Detroit. And KG wasn't a "winner" until last year. An exception might be T-Mac because he puts almost zero effort into his rehab.

And being on the same team as Corey Maggette automatically makes your team worse. Just because Max had a good game or two against him doesn't means he owns him, and Brand would probably win 4/5 battles against Max. He's an all-star. I've never really heard him described as overrated... unless someone said that he was better than Garnett/Duncan/Dirk.
  7. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

i think Tay did very well in staying in front of him, it might not have been great defense but he did take his running game away from him and forced him to shoot.
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I know Dlev, I happen to agree with you. I have a hard time understanding the argument that he's overrated. That's part of why I posted, to try to see what the bases were for making the argument.

But also, I'm very cranky after a couple of days full of academic committee meetings consisting of lots and lots of repetitious empty arguments.:nerner: I'm afraid I took that out on the forum (even though I did vent plenty during the meetings themselves).
  9. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Joe Dumars was frequently described as "underrated" early in his playing career, and he once joked that "I was called underrated for so long, I became overrated."
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Do we need Brand more or does Brand need us more.
    Until we can trust Amir more he'll be underrated.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Philly looks 100x times better w/o Brand. Just saying.

Even their defense looks better.

Granted MC is helping them out with this idiotic line-up and his aversion to playing Amir in the 4th quarter (or any big for that matter). We were dominating them on the glass. I don't get his obsession with small ball.
    To me he's overrated b/c his 20/10 do not positively impact the game (let me rephrase that; make a big impact on the game). He was on the Clippers and you can argue that that team sucked, but now he's on the Sixers and he has a negative impact on that team. When everybody was putting Philly in the top 3 in the East, i kept saying how Brand is not going to make them much better. #'s don't define to me how good someone is. Otherwise you can argue that Zach Randolph is just as good with his #'s.

Elton Brand is a good player, but he's not a franchise player, and he's certainly not a max one.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Glorious collapse at home to a bad team minus their star player....middle of the pack this team is...:yellowprison:
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

WTF...Philly had 19, 19, and 20 in the first 3 quarters, and then 38 in the 4th! Nice clutch defense. That was disgraceful.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It was that damn line-up! It drives me nuts.
  16. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

WTF!

The Sixers scored 38 points in the 4th! I missed the game, but we must have sucked some serious ass on D.

I am beginning to think that I have been fortunate these last couple weeks being stuck on second shift and missing the games.
  17. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tay should never play PF. Curry was smoking dope.

When McDyess comes back, we will see a lot less of this.
  19. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

Do we really stink this bad?
    -Official supporter of Prop. start Stuckey, bench Iverson
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, it was all looking fine until the 4th. AI was playing a pretty nice all around game. He seemed to be getting some enjoyment out of passing and was getting in the paint.

Stuckey had a nice one too.

Sheed and Kwame had just about identical stat lines, so that's not a good sign, but there's really no reason that we should have let this one slip away.

All we had to do was keep them under 30 points in the 4th. The small ball lineup should be when you need to gamble with scoring, not hold a 10 point lead.

I'm willing to wait to see what Dyess can add before I get any more depressed about it.