Penn State

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Nov 8, 2011.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

yeah, its sad Dett, your point is ?

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I cannot bring myself to comment on the tragedy of this situation.

I did see Matt Millen who commented on it and I will comment on his remarks.

He seems to feel that people need to own up and come forward when they make mistakes.

Like he ever did anything like that with the Detroit Lions....

Thanks...Detteam for posting the document...

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Paterno says he wants to coach through the end of the season. Can you imagine the heat the program is going to take on the team's visits to Columbus, Madison, (Indy?), and whatever Bowl they end up in if he's there?

IMO all PSU parties aware of what was going on all this time should step down, immediately. If they don't, they need to be fired. It's sad to see Paterno go out this way, but Penn State needs to start cleaning this mess up ASAP.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What exactly did Paterno know about the reported incident? What exactly was reported to him? Until I know that, I'll refrain from judging him.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Grand Jury report, Victim 2 (in 2002) starting on page 6

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Paterno is out effective immediately. His career is now over.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He reported it to his A.D. then forgot about it.
    He does not deserve this !

9. coynejeremy

The problem I have with this is that everybody could be remembering their actions and words a little differently 9 years after the fact. The directors claimed Paterno didn't mention abuse but rather some "horseplay" in the shower. If that's true, I can understand reporting it to the guy's charity and telling him not to bring boys on campus anymore, and not reporting it to the police - because it just looks like something a little unseemly, and not criminal. Do you think the grad student told Paterno in graphic detail what had happened and then Paterno repeated the account in graphic detail? I could imagine either the grad student or Paterno himself toning down the account of what had happened, not because they would have wanted to cover it up, but because they thought the meaning of what had happened would be understood, even if they hadn't been explicit in their description, simply because they were uncomfortable talking about it.

On the other hand, maybe Paterno walked into the director's office and said "Jerry Sandusky raped a ten-year-old boy", then promptly forgot about it for 9 years, while the directors did nothing about it. That just seems totally implausible, compared to the possibility that they didn't really know what had happened and therefore didn't alert the police.

All I'm saying is that even after reading that portion of the grand jury transcript it is still very ambiguous to me as to what exactly was said by whom to whom. As a viewing public we have a tendency to make snap judgements based on little to no evidence and then it is very difficult to let go of those preconceived notions. There are a lot of examples in recent history of the media jumping on a certain version of a story based on accounts of alleged actions, and then after everybody gets all worked up, more facts come out and it turns out everyone was wrong to begin with. So I'll reserve judgement for now.

10. BillLaimbeer

Your assistant coach sexually abuses a child and you simply "forgot about it"? I don't think so. JoePa screwed up and he is paying the ultimate price.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

How in the hell do you "forget" about THAT???

In my past line of work, I became aware of/witnessed this kind of abuse as well as others perpetrated by staff members against teenaged boys on more than a couple of occassions.. I reported it every single time and you damned well better believe I followed up on it...even when the institution maybe wasn't so eager to look into it. It bothered me greatly and it was wrong and it never was an option to turn my head the other way as far as I was concerned.

Sometimes I was not very popular. Sometimes I was. It didn't matter.

But I sleep at night. I did my part to help ensure the safety of the kids.

If you truly care about kids/people, you do something.

He didn't deserve it?? Those kids were the ones who didn't deserve "it". Don't make him the victim because he won a few football games. Do you have any idea how many more children he likely abused because Paterno "forgot about it"???

12. Darth Tater

1. Pull the guy off the kid.

2. Break the guy's jaw (Later claim "Slip and falls happen in the shower all the time, officer").

3.Contact the Kid's mother and call the police immediately.

3. Tell your boss exactly what happened. Nobody is going to sugar coat that. Sodomizing a 10 year old?? Don't they have "Incident Reports" or anything like that at school's for liability purposes?

Even if the Grad Assistant didn't tell Paterno the ugly details...which I am quite sure he DID tell him...do you really think Paterno wouldn't ask..."What do you mean by inappropriate"???

Joe Knew. I promise you. Joe knew. Everyone knew.

13. coynejeremy

I can definitely see your position. And by no means am I justifying what happened to the kid. The media accounts of the aftermath could be 100% accurate, in which case I agree with you 100%.

I just remember when OJ went on trial for murder and everybody assumed he did it and then he was acquitted and everyone realized they were wrong. :) OK bad example...

14. BillLaimbeer

LOL. :stooges:

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I knew there were reasons why I think favorably about you. I've also reported people based just on what children have told me. I always followed up with authorities so I also could sleep at night.

Darth...I now wonder what I would have done if confronted with that situation.
    A broken jaw sounds about right.

16. Darth Tater

:biggrin1: Very true. I still feel bad about jumping to conclusions on THAT one. :whistle:

But I must admit... sometimes I wonder...

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Read the time line. It started in 1998 and by 1999 Sandusky was gone. But he got more braizened and vile as the
    years went on. But this was through his childrens charity. Some how he got kids in the shower on campus again.
    Paterno wasn't involved.
    If we learned anything-you don't trust your child with anyone. Not even your significant other !!!

18. Darth Tater

I'm well aware of the timeline. It most likely started long before 1998. He possibly started getting caught by University employees in 1998. But do we really know who else may have seen it and not reported it earlier at Penn state or before he worked there. In all likelihood, if he is a typical offender, this guy began molesting children at least 30 years earlier.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter whether he still worked there or not. We aren't just talking legal responsibility. We are also talking moral responsibility. Irregardless, whether or not he was employed by them, he was certainly associated with Penn State and that gave him extra power over those children.

I agree that you must be very cautious of who you let be near your children and under what circumstances, but I'm going to say that MOST people do not need to worry about their spouses. If that is the case and you need to worry about THAT, I suggest that the worrier get a new spouse. However, unfortunately, you're right that a parent and/or or relative is the perpetrator far too often.

If someone of Paterno's stature had reported the incident, it would have been taken seriously. It would have stopped long ago. So many of the victims would not have been hurt by him. Nobody can convince me that there is any excuse for anyone not to immediately report these kinds of criminal offenses.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Don't misconstrue the topic Tate. I defended Paterno only. He reported a second hand offense the next morning.
    It was out of his hands then. Unless you wanted him to take the law into his own hands. In this case the opening
    actions from "Midnight Cowboy" might suffice.

20. Darth Tater

I think he obligated his legal responsibilities, as far as we know.

But I believe he could have stopped that man from committing any more heinous crimes. Joe Paterno was all powerful at Penn State. He didn't need to worry about getting fired for doing the right thing. He knew what was going on...or didn't want to know. Same thing.

Bottom line:

Kids were raped. Paterno should have and could have prevented it. I can't respect the choices he made.

He acted in what he believed was in the best interests of the university and therefore himself. Our children should always come first.