Part 3----Monroe or Cousins

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 11, 2012.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sooooo, a year later, where are you guys with the Monroe/Cousins controversy.

For all of you young pups who were not members of this forum for the last year, here's the skinny:

1) Before the 2010 NBA draft, most members of the forum wanted Pistons to draft Demarcus Cousins, (I know who you are if you want to vacillate a bit, lol) whereas, there was a chosen few of us who wanted Monroe.

2) Before the beginning of the 2010 season before Monroe even had a chance to touch the ball, you could hear in the distance the far cry of Cousins, Cousins, Cousins (sung in the same tune of Rocky, Rocky)

3) The few of us Pro-Monroe fans, tried to convince that he was indeed the real deal and he would be the Franchise player who the Pistons would build around for the remainder of his Pistons career.

4) I really tried to tell you guys that Cousins was a talented guy but simply had too many issues to overcome at this level and it would show on and possibly off the court.

5) By the end of the 2010 season, some folks came from the dark side to join the MONROVIANS, even though many still maintained their COUSINITES stand.

6) Here we go to the beginning of the shortened lock out 2011 season, some still wanted to pick up Cousins via trade i.e., some however no longer wanted to do this if it was at the expese of trading Monroe.

7) So here we go midway through the 2011 season, Monroe has turned into an absolute beast, how many doudble-double does the man have? The scary thing is he is exceeding my expectations that I had when he left Georgetown. Monroe will only get better and better and better.

8) I never doubted for a minute that Monroe would be a future all-star, hell Roscoe handed out discipline to me when I got into a forum war with the pro-Cousin folks, even though Roscoe was all in for the Pistons selecting Monroe, so was Cloud and others.

9) My question is: Do you now believe that MONROE is the REAL DEAL?

2. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Already stopped counting his double-double because I've already lost in his regular double-double games.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The only thing more frequent than GM double-doubles is "I was right about Monroe"-threads by armygirl.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

But did you predict the Pistons would draft him like I did?

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No I didn't think the Pistons would draft him because I surely thought that he would be gone by the time the Pistons picked. I didn't think he would fall lower than 5. I didn't really think Dumars would draft him until he fell to number 8. I did however, predict that Monroe was the best player coming out that year.

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Truth is.........I figured he'd fall to #8 because I held a lower opinion of him than you did.
    He certainly has come along very nicely. You were/are his biggest fan....congrats.

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Armygirl, what is the point of "I told you so" - you say - you did not expect Monroe dropping - i.e. he was out of Dumars reach in your mind anyway...

8. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I'd still rather have Cousins but Greg Monroe is pretty good.

9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I saw Cousins play against OKC. I wasn't super impressed. He looks like he's playing at 60% of his abilities and is getting by on his considerable natural ability. Sacramento fans and writers seem to like his progress so he may exceed Monroe down the line. Monroe is perfect for us though. He's the face of the franchise - tough, smart basketball.
    Watching Monroe is a joy this season. I was thinking how frickin boring it was to watch Flip's teams win with jump shots and crap rebounding on both sides. Now we have guys moving, attacking the basket and feeding the post player. We got Monroe, JJ and Maxiell putting bodies on people when shots go up - on both sides of the floor. That's resulting in some good 2nd chance points and man we need those...every team needs those.

I think we lucked out. People equate athleticism with leaping ability. That made Monroe look un-athletic. Monroe's got very good balance, control and speed...and a great motor. That's athleticism.

The Rasheed / Duncan comparison was pretty good. I think we'll be comparing these two guys like Ewing/ Olajuwon years on down the road.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wanted both.

I was one of the guys that was lukewarm about the Monroe pick. Didn't know much about him to be honest. I was depressed when he first started playing. But, by God he's come a long way. I really like the fact that he plays the game smart and his style of play doesn't rely on athleticism. Even if Cousins exceeds him in All-Star games and highlight reels, Monroe is likely going to have a longer and more productive career. He's also more likely to stay with Detroit than Cousins would be. Cousins strikes me as the kind of guy that pays his dues in a crappy team that drafted him and bolts for a flashy winning franchise as soon as his rookie deal is up.

Overall I'm very happy that we ended up with GM.

And yes, AG, you were right. :)

11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just remember, you're only as good as your last successful prediction.

Also, we're all on the same team here. Na na na-na na is for Pacers fans.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I had my fingers crossed for Cousins during that draft. Monroe has really turned out well, and he seems to get better every day. I didn't see enough of GM to thin that he would or wouldn't be good... but I did watch a lot of DeMarcus Cousins' games, and I knew he was the real deal. I think we were both right. Monroe has turned out to be a franchise type player who the Pistons are lucky to have, and Cousins is also an NBA force. Oh, to have them both!

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't watch much college bball, so I had no idea who he was. I just heard about his good passing, smart play, and limited hops. My fear was that his offensive game wouldn't translate to the NBA. But, it really translated perfectly and seems to be improving. Cousins' production is really similar and better in more ways than not, but it is so close that I agree that the guy with the professional attitude is much more valuable to us. They are different players and they would be a really dangerous pairing. Ben + Sheed 2.0.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Greg Monroe finished tied for 4th in the Most Improved Player award. Orlando's Ryan Anderson won going away, but Moose was right up there in the voting after that. Here are the top couple:

1st Place (5 Pts) 2nd Place (3 Pts) 3rd Place (1 pts) Total
    Ryan Anderson 33 27 14 260
    Ersan Ilyasova 21 15 9 159
    Nikola Pekovic 10 15 9 104
    Greg Monroe 10 9 19 96
    Andrew Bynum 13 8 7 96
    Jeremy Lin 10 8 17 91
    Goran Dragic 4 8 10 54
    Avery Bradley 4 4 4 36
    Danny Green 3 3 3 27
    Jeff Teague 1 5 7 27

15. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't remember what were my thoughts on Monroe before the Draft an before his first year.

But I have to say that I absolutely love Monroe during his first year. Yes, I was always falling in the "lack of jump and lack of defense" critics. But I till love the guy and I will be VERY dissapointed if in 2 years he don't sign an extension.

16. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Was happy with the draft choice after the event when reading up on him and only got happier as his first season progressed. Have been exstatic to see him progress so much further again this season and will be picking up my next jersey in the number 10.

Probably the main reason I started following the Pistons was because of the group work ethic and approach to the game that can bring wins without the "superstar" player. GM fits this so well and for that reason is such a better fit here than Cousins. Agree heavily with this too:
    If we got Cousins, I would enjoy the highlight reels but I reckon I would end up disliking him so much and I hate having that on teams I support. CV and Bengo fit those roles now, but they aren't to be our franchise player for years to come (hopefully).

Going forward, I really hope to see GM trust and take that smooth jump shot a lot more in season 3. A developed right hand at the basket will make him even more deadly too.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you about wanting to root for likeable guys.
    I don't dislike Ben Gordon. He's been a team player and a good citizen as a Piston. He never gripes about playing time and he always showed up for Kuester''s shootarounds.

Everything that I DON'T like about him is Joe's fault. (his contract and the fact that he ever became a Piston in the first place)

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Glad to see you around!

19. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Fair call actually. He only ever seems to get angry at his own play and not his playing time or team mates - more than can be said for Prince actually.

Cheers mate. Bit of a lazy poster, but I've lurking around the boards taking it all in.

roscoe36 likes this.