Palace Coup in the making?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 1, 2006.

1. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``I want the Pistons to do well. There are some people on this forum that want the Pistons to fail so Flip will get fired. To me, that's pretty sad.''

That's a reckless assumption.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Two things:

(1) Contrary to the allegations in this thread, I have yet to see anyone in this thread say that they want the Pistons to fail or do poorly.

Just because people do not believe Flip will succeed and want to see a change in order to enhance (in their opinion) the Pistons chances to succeed does not mean they do not wish the best for their team. It just means that they have minimal confidence in Flip and they feel a new coach would be better for the team.

and regardless,

(2) "Hating" or "loving" or any other emotion or viewpoint expressed on this forum will undoubtedly not influence in the least bit what the Pistons do on the court. We can love the team and Flip or despise them to our hearts fulfillment and it will not affect even one measly free throw.
  3. max

max All-Star

I think the issue is that some do not think the Pistons can succeed with Flip.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

HEY!

This sure beats arguing about Darko hunh? :heh:
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

:amen:

If I stick around here long enough, maybe I will be able to articulate my opinion as well as you guys. Most of you guys, and gals............anyway

Well said my friend!!!!!!!!!
  6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I can definitely see Flip managing people down the road.

...I hear McDonalds is hiring.
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

roscoe, Well, we ALMOST made it, anyway :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: .
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

That depends on who is doing the so-called "hating", doesn't it? Just because Flip Saunders is the head coach does not mean I as a Pistons fan need to "get behind him 100%." The players do, the organization does, his coaching stuff must. All to promote winning, which is their job. But I am a fan.

I get to say whatever I want about Flip and the team, to have particular ideas about how I want to see them play, and to voice these opinions frequently and with way too much fanfare. That's the fun of it and that's my role. I'm a fan.

Certainly I don't think my lack of faith in Flip's "system" is going to jinx the team. Why? Because...I'm just a fan.

On Pistonsforum.com, we get to have the extreme fun of investing our time, energy and opinions in the Pistons with the fleeting sense that our opinions and pronouncements do matter. And so they do...to each other.

[sign]I don't agree with what you said, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it![/sign]
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We've seen good players go down the tube due to fan hatred... also seen good coaches run out of town by "just fans"....
    Support will typically promote beter performance....
    No one is saying you can't express your opinions... but sometimes the same hatred x 1000 gets annoying after a while and counter productive.

Is the next coach gonna play all the players you want (and the right minutes) and think just right like you?... doubtful....
    Is it possible that the coach is a little more knowledgeable about strategies and his personel?
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

That depends on the coach.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LOL, I hear ya detteam... send the ole resume to 3 Championship drive.:)
  12. hack

It's also possible that most of the core is more knowledgeable about strategies and personnel than the coach is. When you've got such a situation, the coach is going to struggle to have the authority he needs. Esp. when the coach is one of those who thinks ``treat men like men'' is a strategy instead of just a copout.

On our team, Sheed and Tay undoubtedly have a greater understanding of the game than Flip, and, arguably, so does Rip and perhaps Dice.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is silly statement with no basis. How many practices have you witnessed? Sheed's great understanding of the game cost the Pistons Game 5 of the NBA Finals 2 years ago. Tay is certainly the smartest of the Pistons, but to say he knows more than Flip is just a wild guess. You have no clue about their knowledge of the game and neither do I.

Mercury, it's 4 Championship Drive.
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sorry, must have missed that... Shock?
  15. BillLaimbeer

Yea, trying to make it 5 Championship Drive right now, but have a big hole to dig out of....
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

I wish the Sheed bashing of that play would go away. He went with his gut feeling and chose to double. Ginnobli made a GREAT pass that Sheed probably felt the wind from on his fingertips...check the tape. Sheed made a playing decision that was 95% in the Pistons favor. Except for that other 5%...you'd be singing his praises now.

You contradicted yourself within 2 sentences.

What is the numbering system? Did the Shock title not count? :ohwell:
  17. hack

This year's playoffs featured two weeks of visual evidence that our players are, in general and including Ben when he was one of us, smarter than Flip. If that didn't convince you, then I don't see what will.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Sheed's play was stupid. You don't leave a shooter wide open at the 3-point line when you're up by 3 in the closing seconds.

You're right about my contradiction. :) I should have said Tay plays the smartest of all the Pistons.

The Palace address is 4 Championship Drive since there have been 3 Piston championships and 1 Shock championship.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Okay, you're right. Flip is an idiot. The Pistons should just use Hooper as their head coach next year.
  20. hack

Yeah, Sheed's play was stupid. He got greedy. But that was one decision in a series of thousands of decisions. And all of them were made under the stress of playoff basketball.

Not all of Flip's decisions are made in that situation. Flip's had years and years of involvement in organized basketball -- time to think without anyone breathing down his neck, like in the offseason, etc. -- and the best he's done so far with all that time to think is a strategy that ignores time-worn truisms and an offense that doesn't work in the playoffs. There's no excuse for that.