Our Orlando pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think it was established many times in the past that Darko's culture forbids him from playing hard in garbage time.

2. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

So you think it's WISE to shoot over double teams? Darko got the ball inside a few times, got doubled, and found the open man. He WASN'T FORCING THINGS. What more do you want out of your bigman?

Dwight Howard fouled out with over 6 minutes left in the game and Darko was the ONLY POSTUP presence on the court. The Hawks were doubling EVERYTIME and Darko was pssing out of the double. Olando has OPEN SHOOTERS on the perimeter ALL NIGHT LONG.

Just look at the stats, Darko, D12 and Battie didn't take too many shots. All of the Perimeter guys on ORLANDO DID GET ALOT OF SHOTS.

THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

IF YOU DIDN"T SEE THE GAME, I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE you could make an assessment on his play.

From reading your posts, it seems you are just a "Darko hater".

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Question:

In your word pssing.

Is the missing letter a:

"I"

or an

"A"

Thanks

:stirthepot:

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Forget the stats. Look at the stats. This is so confusing...:confused:

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Any guy in the NBA should be doing those things from day 1. Any person who plays basketball should do that. It's nothing special.

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Just let me tell you one thing:

:cheers: I JUST LOVE THIS FORUM:dancingparty:

I read and post at several forums but this one is the best. We can all see or not see the same games, articles, film clips, and all the media outtakes and we can come up with the most diverse, completely opposite points of view.

Darko is not starting. Some of us believe that is because he is making such a contribution off the bench and is gaining steadily in minutes played and times in the games he is playing and is working out as the real post presence when Dwight is out, and when D 12 is in, they make a teriffic combo.

But others say that DMC is not starting and can't beat Tony out for the starter job, and he is soft and so forth.

I think that when the Magic is 10-4 and the team is learning more and more how to play together, and is still leading the EC, something is going well.

On last night's game, I understand the Atlanta play-by-play guys were talking about the Magic guards taking so many, many shots. They were calling Arroyo a 'black hole'.

And Darko worked with JJ like he did with Amir Johnson to get them their first NBA points. His reputation for passing and shot blocking might be his legacy at least for a while, as he looks to do those things ahead of scoring.

And of course some will say that is because he 'can't score' or rebound.

It is really fun and we have such a diversity of thoughts. I never know what I am going to read when I come here so I come here a lot.

May I ask this one question? :stirthepot:

I would like to know what you guys think about "At what point do we decide that the Magic is to be taken seriously", and conversely, "At what point do we decide that they are NOT to be taken seriously, at least not for this year"?

They are 10-4. Do we reconsider after this 6 game west coast road trip? Or how much longer?

:outtahere: Just wondering!!

7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm a hater of bad logic.

If Darko played 30+ mins and D12 was out for the last 6 mins, how does that explain the rest of his time in the game.

Rather than getting mad at me, you and bballjay should invest in better logic. lol.

My only point was that your explanations for his poor statistical performance seem rather lame. If you would like a larger explanation of how I feel about the Darko experience...well you have alot of PF.Com threads that speak to that. I've been extremely fair as it pertains to Dorko. Hearing you guys gush over a guy that still hasn't done much is what bothers me, so I get a bit of enjoyment out of pointing out the obvious to you guys...Darko hasn't really done squat yet! :)

But alas, you are correct. I did not watch the game but I have watched plenty of his games as a Piston and as a contributing player in a Magic uniform. Enough to say that often when most supporters of Darko in this forum describe Darko's accomplishments they make more excuses than a politician caught with their pants down. In my opinion, the "Darko potential" love fest is an overhyped one and gets no love from me.

But to each its own. Personally I think Biedrins out of Golden St. is much more talented and he has the numbers to support it. But you guys would never notice that because you've been waiting for a Darko break out game for the last 3 years.

8. MotownPride

Not in Darko World.

In Darko world that makes you allstar potential! Whoopeee!

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't think Darko is living up to his pick number yet, but he's better than Battie. Sometimes I wish the Pistons would do the same thing. Instead of having all 5 starters maybe you have Tayshaun come off the bench. We all know that with 4 all stars on the floor not every guy will be fully utilized.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The thing that impresses me about Darko sometimes is his shotblocking, but that's about it. I can name you 25 bigmen from the top of my head that can outduel Darko.

11. MotownPride

I think we should take them seriously. The Magic finished the season as one of the best teams in the league and this is just a continuation. Darko is a great role player and the re-emergence of Grant Hill automatically makes them legitmate playoff hopefuls. I expect Orlando to finish as a 6-8 seed. I don't see them advancing past the first round though as too many of their critical parts/players lack playoff experience.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You're a nice man.

I don't think you will get many responses to a great question. These guys all have Darko-fever.

I'mn a detroit fan, the standard is high. They are to be taken seriously if/when we face them in the playoffs, and not before. It's still only November. There is so much basketball to be played. One injury to Howard could destroy their season.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Orlando is a young team. They are 7-1 at home. Once the road games start coming in it will test this team. I think almost any injury could mess this team up. Of course if they lose Howard there season is in jeapordy, but if they lose a shooter it could allow more double teams to make Howard less effective. If Darko goes down you don't have much big men left besides Howard. If Hill goes down you lose leadership as well.

14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My POV - you have to take them seriously right now, and continue doing so until they break (if they do). 10 and 4 is nothing to sneeze about. They've played eight home games six away so there isn't that great a disparity. One thing for me to solidify my respect would be some quality away wins. So far they haven't really played many top teams on the road. If they can't win there, them I have to doubt.

And of course, Hill is the ultimate wild card. If he goes down...

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You take them seriously when they beat a top 5 team when that team is trying and or if they do well on a tough road trip.

16. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

roscoe wrote"
    "I'm a detroit fan, the standard is high. They are to be taken seriously if/when we face them in the playoffs, and not before. It's still only November. There is so much basketball to be played. One injury to Howard could destroy their season."

Great response!! And himat, as well. Injuries to a few key people could knock them into a cocked hat. Dwight (certainly), Darko (almost as certainly), Grant (for sure).

The rest I think would be kind of covered up. They are so deep at the 1 and 2, even the 3. JJ and Doogie really need to play; Keyon and Keith need time; Trevor and Hedo need to get on the floor. They are so deep except at the 4 and 5. If D X D and Tonee stay healthy, I like to see them play a lot of minutes. I just wish they would get Augustine in there because his fans from Illinois say he really likes to do the grunt work in the high post.

This is really an interesting season. The Pistons are coming out of their early-season funk, Utah has the best record in the league with Orlando a close second. Man, this is fun. I would love it if the Pistons had to fight the Magic for the right to play the Jazz.

I know, DREAM ON, LAZY!!!

17. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'd love to see that list. darko absolutely owns most big men defensively. i'm talking the big name top 10 centers. you probably could name 15 with better stats but head to head darko shuts bigs down.

orlando is a lot like out team of a couple of years ago. nobody except d. howard is going to put up major stats. they've had lots of games this season with like 6 guys in double figures. just like tay would be putting up lots of numbers on another team. ben used to gobble up all our rebounds but now everybody else's numbers are increasing cause he isn't here.

passing out of double teams isn't really something to jump for joy about but it is needed. d. howard gets most of his turns from what i've seen when he tries to go through double teams. getting double teamed all night does however explain why you could play 30 and only get about 7 attempts.

18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no. but it does establish darko as one of the good guys of the league. you could blow it off if this was the first time darko did it. he got amir his first points too.

how many touches did ben wallace make sure he got to darko????

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did anyone notice that in the first post of this thread, it was supposed to be about the Magic and our pick, not the usual Darko arguments between Motown and bball jay?

Did anyone see that? or am I just imagining? It's been a long day.

20. MotownPride

I would say Ben is probably responsible for a lot of first points considering he usually defers on offense.

Roscoe, I think it is impossible for any conversation dealing with the Orlando Magic's success in a Pistons forum to not veer toward Darko's production. Realistically this thread as it pertains to Orlando's success should be directed toward the growth of Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson as well as the resurrgence of Grant Hill. But the largest contributors to this thread are Darko fanatics who seemingly see his presence as the prominent reason as to why Orlando is suceeding. Will the debate ever end? Probably not. At least not until the end of the season when we can truely evaluate Darko. Until then, I apologize in advance but...you can expect a counter response when a Darko rules the universe posting shows it face again on an Orlando Magic related thread.