Our Orlando pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

the pistons are a bunch of old guys looking for thier niche.

grant can win a playoff series himself. he's still a star in this league. i don't think there is a team in the east that wants to face the twin towers for 7 games. by the end of the season darko will be starting and him and d. howard shut down the paint defensively. which team in the east wants to deal with a healthy grant hill?? orlando is a very deep team and they still haven't worked jj reddick in. i don't see orlando as an easy win in the playoffs at all.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dwight Howard and Tony Battie?

Before you start repping DMC as someone people fear, perhaps he should earn himself a starting role. I don't think any team is afraid of Tony Battie's backup. :pound:
  3. bball jay

it's only a matter of time. i just put it in writing early so i can look prophetic.
  4. roscoe36

You're the best man. Seriously. Anyone who can't appreciate your conviction, forget them.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For all y'all who don't have league pass... and wouldn't watch Orlando if you did, Milicic has one of his best games tonight.

He played the whole 4th quarter in a tight ball game and basically owned J O'Neal down the stretch. Darko was 4-4 in the quarter with 2 back down hooks, 1 fake and reverse, and a 15 foot jumper with 3:00 left. Indiana ran 2 isolations to Jermaine and DM blocked him both times. He also pulled down the game clinching rebound. 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 22 minutes.

Tonight was the first game that he seemed confident and relaxed. He took his time in the post, was always helping on D, and caused quite a few misses that weren't blocks.

Orlando has had a favorable schedule so far and has gotten away with some sloppy wins. They are about to go on a tough road trip, which will show whether or not they are a contender.
  6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice job Darko... seems J.O. is lacking something this year... he doesn't look the same.... expecting to hear an injury report soon.
  7. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``grant can win a playoff series himself''

What roscoe says is true. One can't argue with this kind of conviction.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Its not J.O. being injured. Darko flat out towers over J.O. J.O. was repeatedly stuffed by Darko, and the 3 blocks Darko was credited with was actually about half of what he really got. And on D, J.O., again, if found woefully short to be able to stop Darko or even slow him down.

One more thing. It was not Darko only owning J.O. that whole 4th quarter, Darko got a very key shot alteration with a minute or so left that helped seal the game-this on a transition attempt by Indiana. Darko basically managed to shut down J.O. and found time to still be pretty much everywhere needed to play help out and transition D-and pull his share of rebounds to boot. The speed he has, along with being one of the tallest players in the NBA (He could easily be listed as 7-2 and noone would argue) is a formiddable combination.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, for Darko it was a bad game. Compared to any other player in the league, Darko had an ok game. You see, as someone pointed out, Memphis went wild as soon as they pulled Darko out. Darko was moving very well on D and Memphis was having a heck of a time finding a shot. Darko made a dumb mistake, fouling Warrick and letting him get the and 1. Hill made a mistake, decided to pull Darko for making a mistake, instead of recognizing Darko pretty much was his defense out there. Next game, he did not repeat the mistake, as it was obvious to everyone, including Hill, that Darko was shutting down J.O.
  10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Funny how every time Darko has a good game the Darko-maniacs unite and proclaim that the chosen one has arrived. When he has a average to subpar game (which have consequently been most of his games during the season) there is dead silence.

Hilarious.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i will quote myself from the novice league fantasy results thread :)

"Hell, even Darko managed to have one good game statistically, thereby validating his next-Jordan status to the 5 Orlando fans on the forums, who routinely masquerade as fans of the Pistons. Maybe you've seen them around."

har
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, over at detnews.com, after Darko had a bad game (according to the stats from the boxscore anyway) a whole lot of posters chose to talk about Darko. All bad. What comes around goes around. Here, the same. One bad game and Darko is judged so so. He is not so so. Anyone who can shut out J.O. as effectively as Darko can is way more than a so so player. This issue will not go away. And Dumars is going to be the guy who ends up looking bad, regardless of what spin he tries to use to soften what happened.
  13. MotownPride

Wouldn't know... haven't been to detnews.com since PistonsForum.com came into existence. Like the typewriter...sure its functional..but why use it considering the alternative.

Joe Dumars already looks bad.

And Darko as a whole has had a subpar to average season with a couple of breakout games. That's normally a formula for staying out of the starting rotation.

I'll just sit back and wait for the silence to return when he follows up this game with an egg. Then I'll wait a week for you guys to show up again when he has another "imagine how good he would be with starter minutes" game. lol. So predictable.
  14. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

When Darko has a sub-par game, we know the nay-sayers will come up out of the woodwork so we don't have to say anything. That is taken care of for us. :stirthepot: :pound: However, you will remember that I did say something anyway after that last bad game. Actually, I have been staying away more after his good games so as not to sound braggadosio.

As for the not earning a starting role yet, I really have to say that part of that reasoning is what Brian Hill talked about recently. With Dwight out of the game, having Darko in there gives them a real post presence that they would not have. I still believe also that I am not worried about DMC starting. As long as he is included in the finishers and gets good minutes (like 22-27 per) I will be happy. And of course, at least some of those minutes should be with the other tower. You can see his confidence in DMC is getting better. He was in the full fourth quarter last night, against a good team, and he played a significant role.

Disagree if you want, but the upward slope of Darko's maturity is steepening. The bad games will be rarer and the good ones will be better.
  15. mire

mire Second Round Draft Pick

I think joe is da man

seriosly!

the one thing I don't know is why joe didn't tell his coaches to play darko...

I can guess the reasons but... I wish darko was still a piston :(
  16. MotownPride

Lazy, you are the only one of your brethren capeable of giving an even handed take on Darko's progress. Can't disagree with anything you've said except I don't think this ends up with Darko being an all-star. Hope you enjoyed your turkey. If not, you have a lot of jive ones hanging around this thread. :MusicBigGrin:
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

face it, if it wasn't for the darko lovers constantly bringing him up, he wouldn't even be a topic for discussion. he's just another average ex-piston on another team we don't care about.

does anyone consistently talk about mo evans, smush parker, mikki moore, cliff robinson, etc ,etc...
  18. bball jay

a subpar to average season with a couple of breakout games still has ben wallace in the starting lineup.

you are so predictable to not acknowledge the fact when darko has a good game. somebody tried to even put it off on J.O. not being himself this year that darko shut him down. usually people try to diminish what darko does if it's good by saying it's against charlotte, atlanta or it's preseason, world championships. yet those same people overreact and emphasize when darko has a bad game. that's why we have some dedicated posters that come in and set everybody straight and let people know when darko does well.

he will have an all star career.
  19. MotownPride

Actually I mentioned his good games even before you did on occasion. I wouldn't have time to mention ALL of his less than exciting games. Because..well..most of them have been. lol.

Besides we've already established that I have the ability to be objective and you do not. Remember the 10 reasons why Darko will/won't succeed exercise you admittedly weren't able to do because you feel Darko is guaranteed success. lmao! I did the exercise for Ben and Darko without blinking an eye. It really isn't that difficult to see both sides of the arguement if you just use the slightest bit of logic.

So, you are incorrect as usual and blinded by your fascination with the Serbian. Thank you for proving my point. A refusal to admit that most of his games have been average to subpar while instead pointing to a list of good games in his career where he has had success.... Yep, that's your story over and over again. Funny thing is that even Mo Evans can boast the same type of success record. Where is the Mo Evans love????? Actually when I was in Highschool, I put together a couple 20+ point games. Damn, I missed my calling. I could have been the next Jordan. lol.
  20. roscoe36

I once had an 11 point game in high school.

I put together a healthy string of quadruple singles though. rebs, points, ast and steals.