Our Orlando pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 29, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Let's put aside the Darko talk (if possible) in this thread.

Orlando is more likely than Detroit to finish higher in the NBA Draft next season but they showed some serious game late last season..

Of course, we get Orlando's pick in what is being called a VERY deep draft. Providing they do not end up with a top 5 selection in the lottery.

And that pick can be used as a trading chip with the Pistons own pick to move up even more, possibly looking to grab a franchise big man.

So do you really think the Magic will make the playoffs and get us a middle of the road pick? Or do you think their late season run was a mirage and the Magic's winning spell will be cancelled.

2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I think they snag the 7-8 seed.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hard to judge right now. Some teams get on a hot streak during part of the season and their decent look can be a ruse as some teams could have taken the Magic for granted down the stretch and shut down their intensity during those last 15 games giving the Magic false hope.

I know they beat Pistons, Heat and I think the Mavs, during that late stretch but I still think they are a team that finshes right out of the top 16 playoff teams. Maybe they can grab the 8th seed if an injury takes out a key player on one of the "pretenders"

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think they are going to have a nice team. We should get a middle of the road pick. If anything, I'm afraid they will do a little bit too well. I think they will make the bottom end of the playoffs, but if not, they won't have many lottery balls although they have a history of getting "lucky" in the lottery, if I recall :rolleyes:.

I'm rolling my eyes because I honestly wonder if the lottery is fixed since they do it in such secrecy. Makes no sense to me.

Anyhow, they had a nice run at the end. Darko and Arroyo are fitting in really well and Howard is awesome. They've had all summer to compliment what they had at the end of last year with new talent.

We should get a decent pick... for Joe to mess up.

5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I think Orlando will make the playoffs, almost a lock if DHoward, Darko, and Jameer improve their games from last year and JJ Redick can do anything. Especially Darko, which would allow Orlando to bring, a former starter, Battie off the bench along with Arroyo, Ariza, and Redick.

Which leaves Detroit with two picks in the 20's, in a deep draft. Have a feeling Joe will trade one, if not both of them, especially if there is an opportunity to move up. Though Joe has to be a little gun shy about the draft, he has either drafted guys who suck or guys that his coaches refuse to play. It would be nice to see Joe draft a guy with talent that the coach also wants.

Darkhorse, tinfoil hat, trade prediction: Rip and the Orlando pick to the Bobcats and move up into the top 5 to grab a bigman. Rip's contract is cheap (relatively speaking), the bobcats are cheap, and the Pistons are cheap. Also Jordan may be regretting the the Rip trade.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the pick should be in the 6-10 range. Orlando isn't a playoff team yet.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Orlando has a very good team... 3 players who will be in the Olympics (how many NBA teams can say that?)

Turkoglu is awesome. Nelson is too. And enough has been said about DHo.

Also, they really gelled in the last 1/3 of the season last year. Making the NBA playoffs means that you have to break .500. The pace that they won last year after 1) dumping Stevie Franchise 2) getting Nelson back from injury, and 3) grabbing the victory cigarl and Carlitos was almost the best winning % in the NBA. I don't know why they wouldn't be able to maintain a breakeven record.

They have too many point guards and too many Centers... while the pistons have too many shooting guards and power forwards.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sounds about right to me. They have quite a bit of talent, but they are still young and inexperienced. If they can keep the team together and continue to improve, they may be a real force in the future.

9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The pick is top-5 protected for 2007, and completely unprotected for 2008. So how likely is the 2008 scenario?

The Magic would have to miss the playoffs, and then either move up in the draft lottery to grab one of the top three picks (against long odds for the better lottery teams), or be so wretched that they have a top-5 pick without moving up in the lottery. Both of these possibilities seem unlikely given that they had the eleventh-worst record in the league this past season, and everyone expects them to improve this year.

I don't see much chance that the pick will turn out to be higher than 10 or so, but in a deep draft you might get really lucky at 10.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Orlando missed the playoffs by 4 games last year.

They had a stretch mid-season where they went 2 and 19.

Late in the year, they had a 12 and 1 stretch.

It was a completely different team because of trades and injury. Don't base your expectations on last year's overall record.

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Orlando has a very good chance of making the playoffs this season.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance we'll see either Darko or Ben in the first round of the playoffs.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

There seems to be a significant weakness on their perimeter defense... I believe teams will have no problem getting inside on the Magic..... unfortunately they will be hard to score on inside... particularly posting up.
    They can be beaten if teams will penetrate and look for the extra pass... basically taking advantage of the two heads over aggressiveness.
    I see the Magic as a team that gives away a lot of FT's.
    The Magic should be a high scoring squad.
    This is a tough team to predict... I'll go with the high side and say we end up with a pick between 15-18

13. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

orlando will definitely make the playoffs. they barely missed it last year. they have had a summer to improve. darko showed a definite improvement from what he was providing at the end of the year when they went on thier run. his confidence level is where he improved most and that's just dangerous for teams in the nba. he's going to play starter minutes and provide starter type production. arroyo ripped the world championships and can carry the team from pg if jameer goes down. turkoglu is solid at the 3 last year he looked like he was having a breakout season. dwight howard is just a beast and he's improving over the summer too. jameer is great. their only weakness is at shooting guard. if jj can stand at the 3 point line and drop 3 pointers from dwight and darko orlando will be dangerous.

grant hill hasn't retired yet either. grant healthy for 40 games will make them a guaranteed playoff team.

i'm not worried about the draft pick. i'm worried about meeting this team in the first round of the playoffs. especially if they saved grant for the playoffs like we save lindsey for them.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I forgot about Grant Hill. They should think about playing him every other game or so. He obviously can't take a full NBA season.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

17. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

It seems to me that whether or not Darko gets the starting nod over Tony Battie, whichever of them comes off the bench leading a very strong second unit makes them very deep.

Say Darko, Dwight, Hedo, Jameer and Bogans start, the second unit will consist of Tony, Grant, JJ, Carlos, and Ariza. Still be heard from would be Dooling who played a lot last year, James Augustine who has a full four year Big Ten career behind him, Travis Deiner, Bo Outlaw, and Garrity. Some of these will not be on the main roster, but I believe they are available. Garrity might be gone.

Their only soft spot might be the need for another big to get some minutes. Augustine and Bo might be able to fill that need. Also Hedo is 6'10".

Grant Hill should come off the bench to make sure he can play more as the season progresses. If and when healthy, he is still their best all-around player.

Depending on whether Grant can play through season, albeit in a smaller role, I can see them as the 5th seed, and if that good, why not the 4th? It would be good for them to get home court.

The other teams in the East have questions, too. How do we know that Chicago will jell; Indy will be kind of disjointed; in the late surge last year, the Magic beat Detroit, totally clobbered Cleveland, beat Miami, Dallas, Utah and other good teams who were still trying to better their position.

I think the team chemistry is already very good with the Magic and the summer's work in the worlds will help. I think they are ready to make a move into the play-offs, if not ready yet to come out of the East.

It is early to tell, but now is when the question was asked, wasn't it?

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that Tony Battie would have carried the Serbian National team in the FIBA championships.

However, he is a good player to have on the Magic team. Maybe a bit overpaid, but that is what you have to spend for mediocre veteran big men.

19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Don't blame me.

Forget Orlando's record from last year, and look at the team at the end of the year going into next. A solid starting 5, with a legit superstar center. Then throw in a solid bench. No reason this team can't win 48-50 games and be a 5 or 6th seed.

BTW, from a translation of a translation of Orlando's assistant GM on realGM, this is how Orlando plans on using Darko and Dwight next year:

DT: I love Darko. He helped us a lot when he came here from Detroit. I am glad to see that he is enjoying the Basketball. With us, he has a great opportunity, because he will get a lot of playing time.

B92: In our country, lot of people talk about his role on a team. Some people think he takes too many shots and that he is much better at Center?

DT: In Orlando, Darko plays pure 4. I don't mind him shooting from outside, he is a able of doing many different things on the court. If needed, he can go inside. He is quick and he thinks fast. Dwight at Center and Darko at PF is our frontline and we will build around that in years to come.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

No speak of B. Hill here. He's got a lot of chemistry to brew.
    He finally got it right late last year.
    I'll take picks 19, 20 or 21 or worse.