Orlando Magic Tuesday November 3 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

while he is no sheed on the def end... he's getting better and has alot of room to improve. He took 2 charges down the stretch last night and a big rebound. I think the win with def down the end was a baptism by fire for alot of the new pistons.

Another point but one that hasn't been made, while our def suffers greatly when Big Ben is on the bench the coaches seem to understand that he can only play so many mins a night. only 2 fouls and still only played 28 mins. Got to like the coaches approach so far this season.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...I was wondering about the gong. "More cow-bell!!!"

...Maybe Imgonnagetmine's poked eye prevented him from seeing that defensive stall-wart, JJ Redick was checking BenGo. Gordo prolly coulda had 'fitty in this game.

...Melo will fade. The Nuggets will finish in the bottom half of the WCF playoff picture and will be bounced in the 1st round.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still feeling Stuckey's game. He did a lot of good things. He creates a ton of contact and commits a lot of offensive fouls, but usually the whistle goes in favor of the offensive player, and he's getting fouled a more in return. Also, he's getting better defensively and rebounds like a forward. I don't mind Kuester's version of small ball since it includes 2 bigs and a Stuckey, who boards. Odds are that we are going to have at least 2 guards per night who are having a good game.

Will Bynum has got to be the best backup PG in the league. The man is as hard to stay in front of as anyone. He's got such great hops that he can go right at shot blockers and have a chance at getting his shot off... and draws contact well. Jumper seems to be improving. He and Stuck never looks for the threes, which keeps us in attack mode.

Think about this, we fouled out the best center in the league in only 17 minutes of action and we also fouled out his backup (who would be a starting center on half the teams in the league) in only 23 minutes. So, a great Center/center rotation comitted 12 fouls in 40 minutes against the Pistons, a team that has ZERO post presence. Stuckey, Gordon, and Bynum put on an attack like we have never seen before with 25 free throws among them and numerous other non shooting foul draws.

That is the way to marginalize opposing big men. Drive at them and cause contact. If you do that 15 times, they are going to foul you 4 times and get screwed on calls 2 more times. This formula should be repeatable. We'll look stupid when Stuckey gets volley ball spiked a few times, but it is the best chance we have.

It is also funny that they had 29 more three point attempts than we did... and they have Dwight Howard. Did he dunk once? Helluva job by Ben and Kwame on D.
  4. yes-sir

yes-sir First Round Draft Pick

Haha. We shall see tonight as I'm staying up to watch the Toronto game. That's tonight right? Great game by the pistons, I really was not expecting that. Seems we need some more production from our front court though. The bens are doing their thaaang!
  5. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

Nice win. Liked a lot of what I saw.

I'm a huge fan of Jerebko, despite the butchering of his name and it changing every 5 minutes. JER-eb-co Ya-REEEB-CO. Ya-reb-co.

Defensively I like what he does, a lot of hustle stuff, and I think he just needs to make a few shots on the offensive end to get comfortable. Even on a couple of shots he hesitated, just thinking a bit too much. The best thing IMO is that he still took a wide open shot, despite knowing he was off last night, rather than pass it away into traffic. He didn't chuck it up but he still tried to get it going.

I don't know, I really like what he does, he has a better offensive game then what we saw last night.

So when do we trade Rip?
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I like what Bynum can do for us but I had a hard time watching the finish last night. He completely took his teammates out of the game. I realize he was amped up but you still have to play team ball. In the last few minutes of the game he was not even looking for his teammates. The defense was keying on him (which they had to) but he was not getting the ball to the open man.

This is the next step in his maturity process. Once he gets the opponent to commit the extra attention to him he has to play smart and take advantage of his open teammates.

Ignoring the open man and forcing shots is a quick way to go from warrior to pigroast.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It looked like the coach was calling that play for Bynum. Each time down, they cleared out half the floor for him to isolate him and his defender. His teammates were into it and were fully behind him.

It's pretty funny that at the end of a game against a top tier opponent, we relied on a bench player coming back from the locker room with an eye poke, to be isolated time after time to secure the win.

In the past we've wondered why coaches didn't go with the hot hand and stuck to their rotations like they were set in stone. Here is a good example of a coach who recognized the momentum and went with it.
  8. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

@Tashawn: I agree it looked like the coaches were calling his number, but I also think he got caught up in the moment a little and was forcing a few shots up as well. There's getting your number called and then forcing that play when it isn't there. There is always a 2nd and 3rd option drawn up. Either way, we will live and die by this approach so I will shut up and appreciate the win.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is exactly what I wanted to see. Going with the hot hand. Everyone misses shots, but Bynum had the ball on a string and was abusing Nelson last night. Not to mention, his heroics had to be providing an emotional lift to his teammates.

I quite like our guard oriented offense. The least talented scorers are only getting shots inside, and only enough to keep the defense honest on the perimeter.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kwame's moves are better when he is very close to the basket. He's a little clumsy, but he's decent with the footwork and pump fakes. Surprisingly average is how I'd categorize him, in a good way. When he gets it up by the FT line or FT extended, then it is a charge waiting to happen.

Also, CV had a nice post move last night. The first one I've seen him attempt this year.

Maxiell might be our next best post option.

Kpaav, I agree that Will went into pure scoring mode and wasn't going to pass unless he got doubled. Probably not a great long term strategy for us. Nelson did a nice job of staying in front of him a few times, but got whistled.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The other thing I like about our offense is that we aren't settling for jumpers or running the shot clock way down looking for the pass.

We're at our best offensively when we carry the game to our opponents.
  12. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Maybe we are FINALLY moving away from a purely jump shooting team. Even back a few years ago our "post scoring" was Sheed fall away jump shots "in the paint." Having multiple guards that can drive at the same time is great. Every team has at least one week perimeter defender at the 1-3 spot, so we should be able to exploit it.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he learned all these ball hog skills from his mentor Stuckey....and wanted to prove that he is really the go to guy..

re name him as HQ said "Imgonnagetmine":)
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's what superstars do. MJ, Kobe, TMac, Vincanity... bunch of ball hogs that make shots.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unless you have some cool comments to say in chat, [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] we would prefer that you sleep through this one too and watch it later via your DVR or the midnite replay on FSD....:)
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Funny n true
  17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

But those same superstars have started to learn that they need to trust their teammates in order to win. We need Wil to learn this quickly because he is not MJ, Kobe etc.