Home Orlando Magic Tuesday Jan 22 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. I have very few problems with Monroe overall other than some inefficiency in his scoring and his inability to play above the rim on D, but I just find him difficult to watch. It's like watching a really great plumber do his job. Just not very exciting watching a slow back down, 4 pump fakes, a miss, an offensive rebound, a few more pump fakes, and then a soft layup that almost gets blocked by 3 defenders. More fun to watch Drummond descend from the rafters and then try to rip off the rim.

If his passing game flourished and he became more Webber like, then I could find it more enjoyable. Right now, his passing game shows potential and flashes of greatness, but it's not really a weapon that the other teams fear yet.
    copper likes this.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stranger things have happened. Even if we play Miami and lose 1-4, that experience for the youngsters would be worth going from 8th-9th pick to 16-17th pick in this year's draft IMO.
    LA Dre, kpaav and round like this.
  3. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

They also talked about how he has responded to coming off the bench?! Responded how? By becoming less relevant?

And sorry to throw water on the playoff talk, but if we take the 8th spot we lose our first round pick next season as the Gordon trade was only lottery protected in the first year.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We're going to lose it sometime. May as well get it out of the way.
    kpaav likes this.
  5. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Exactly. I figure the 12-15th pick this year will be very similar talent wise as the 12-15th pick next year. Playoffs is good for the players, coaches, and organization. It is especially good for out-of-Michigan West Coast fans such as myself that can finally watch a team that gets very very few NAT TV games.
    LA Dre, del and roscoe36 like this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Ideal scenarios:
    1) Make the playoffs and actually WIN our way to through the NBA finals and become a total Cinderella story for the ages.
    2) Just miss the playoffs, get totally lucky in the Lottery and score a top-5 pick.
    3) Just miss the playoffs and draft like we have the past two years and get another piece top add to the core of the team.
    58) Have our young guys score valuable playoff experience by getting swept or losing 1-3 by (insert name of opposing team here).

[​IMG]
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Getting into the playoffs makes it easier to recruit free agents. No one wants to sign with a crappy team.
    The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

and alot of pg's would love the opportunity to come to a team with Drum and Moose....those are some massive screens and easy drops to convert to assists
  9. BallDon'tLie

...Which is why we need to pad our roster with an additional 1st rounder this season so we can make a big FA splash in the summer of 2014.

I don't want to be good.
    I want to be great.

I'll hold my final judgement until after the trade deadline.
    If Joe can re-stock the pond with another 1st round pick for some existing Piston poop; I'll be on the win-now program.

Any combination of Tay, Daye, Jeb, Max, Stuckey, Wolf, Chuck, etc... for a 1st rounder.
  10. roscoe36

I don't see us getting a good 1st round pick again. I think we'll finish 9th or 10th in the conference.

Plus, I don't see him trading anyone. I think he indicated that's not his plan. The time to accumulate picks was 2 years ago.
    Walter likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We could always make a trade that gets us a pick in the next draft if we happen to lose ours due to success. We lost this pick because we traded the 11th highest scoring rate player in the league. :cheeky-smiley-012:
  12. BallDon'tLie

9th or 10th gives us a chance to snag another Greg Monroe or Andre Drummond.
    I don't see us having a chance to sign a FA as good as those dudes.

I love Joe and all but if he's seriously against the idea of trading Taysolation or Collider for a 1st rounder and a player w/ a contact that doesn't kill us, he should absolutely be fired.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If either Tay or Rodney were worth a 1st and a player we wouldn't be wanting them traded..... just saying :P
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here are the top picks for the past 20 years:

Hornets - Anthony Davis
    Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
    Wizards - John Wall
    Clippers - Griffin
    Bulls - Rose
    Blazers - Oden
    Raptors - Bargnani
    Bucks - Bogut
    Magic - Howard
    Cleveland - James
    Rockets - Yao
    Wizards - Kwame
    Nets - K-mart
    Bulls - Elton Brand
    Clippers - Olowokandi
    Spurs - Tim Duncan
    Sixers - AI
    Warriors - Joe Smith
    Bucks - Glenn Robinson
    Magic - Webber
    Magic - Shaq

With a few exceptions, all of those picks made their team better. Only the highlighted ones were instrumental in getting their team to the finals, and ONLY Duncan brought home the trophy for the team that drafted him. A top pick can make your team better, but it's no guarantee that it'll turn you into a contender. More stars need to align for that to happen than just getting a top pick. And IMO it is a futile effort to gut the team, or install a philosopy of losing just to get a shot at something that has low odds of paying off in the first place.
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Blazers are sure enough big man snakebit.

Kwame... :doh:

Kwame, Olowokandi, Robinson, K-Mart, Joe Smith for worst five picks of the past two decades. I'll give the Blazers a pass for drafting the old man.
  16. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think the draft verse playoffs debate is a very personal decision and really can't be proved one way or the other. What is the benefits of losing in the first round verse the guaranteed infuse of talent from the 10th pick (for every Paul George '2010 there is a Spencer Hawes '2007)? I can't answer this, but I think most can agree that perpetual losing can really leave a stink on an organization that is tough to get rid of. I think this is because the fan base and persona is so bad it is tough to attract free agents that aren't fringe All Stars that demand A LOT of money a la Ben Gordon. CV. most of the Clippers pre-Chris Paul etc.

IMHO, seeing the intensity turned up by a team like the Heat during playoff basketball will be a good motivator to the young guys like Drummond, Knight, and Monroe. Whenever I think of athletes that have never made the playoffs, or rarely do, it makes me feel less of them as competitors and also think that if they may have made it early on it would take their game to the next level. Do we really need another mid tier prospect to add to the mix? Fringe lottery picks mean more confusion on the direction of the team, questions of rebuilding verse winning, etc. Who are core guys and who are not? Remember, we have guys from the first rebuild ending their rookie contracts. Are these guys now on the outs for the NEW guys being drafted or not. This is the NBA. The time to win is now. We have are TOP 5 guy in Drummond. Lets focus on this asset rather than hope for more when the chances get smaller and smaller of winning the upside lottery.
  17. roscoe36

Not only that, but if we draft another 1st, when does that player become a rotation player? Getting a young guy means he might not contribute for a year, or three (see Austin Daye).

If we don't make the playoffs this year, we have to make it next year. We need guys who can help now.
    copper likes this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Neither Stuckey nor Bynum has had any kind of shot lately of playing with any kind of decent unit to see if either them are any good. They are constantly saddled with the worse possible thing, each other. My bet, Stuckey is the better choice, given the other four players with him are Singler, Daye, CV, and Drummond.
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

agree to disagree, stuck just doesnt have the vision bynum does, or he isnt willing to pass it when he drives.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No, I can't agree to that. Still several minutes 'til the game starts. Got to talk about something. If Bynum has such great vision, why is the 2nd unit not performing around him? Explain that please. Are you saying that our bench that did so well simply is no good save for Bynum? Look, luckily, our starters did well these past couple of games, cause our bench did not add much.