Home Orlando Magic Tuesday Jan 22 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I assume you just watched this game, right. Who was out there when the Pistons had their best, quickest run of the game, Bynum, or Stuckey. Answer: Stuckey. 12-1 run toward the end of the 1st quarter. Did Bynum do anything really in the 2nd quarter? No. He was in the whole quarter, and we won the quarter by a point. If he is so great, why did he not make his teammates better? Fact is, we had the momentum when Bynum came in, and lost it within a minute of him entering the game.

Did Bynum somehow win this game in the 2nd half? Nope. Our starters had major momentum going, and handed Bynum a 12 point lead. Its great that that for a few moments, our bench did ok and added to that lead. But, again, we already had the momentum - before Bynum entered the game. In that 2nd half, Daye did not even play, and CV made no shots. Two parts of our "vaunted" bench gave us nothing in that 2nd half. Even Drummond gave us very little really - 1o of his 13 points to the positive for this game were without Bynum in the game.

Maybe you can't see why Stuckey helps so much. Keep watching. If the pattern continues, with momentum never developing with Bynum in the game, then maybe you will come around to my way of thinking. Hey, Bynum has done well in some games, as the 3rd string point guard - but in my opinion, no way you turn around and push Stuckey aside for Bynum minutes. Or any other of several players who, again, in my opinion, could be contributing more as a backup shooting guard for us.

2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Lee, the run you speak of has more to do with the other 9 players on the court than it has to do with Stuckey. Stuck made 1 layup and everything else was Knight and max with some defence by drum and some poor offense by the magic bench with bad shot selection and unforced errors.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I liked seeing Kenny English getting some time.

I'd like to see CCG and Daye play more.

4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I was surprised English got in, I liked the fact that he came in and was very energized...hopefully he can get some more burn tommorow chasing Rip through some screens...because I have a feeling Singler will be in foul trouble, or too far behind rip to have any effect on his shot.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The big run has more to do with Drummond entering the game than Stuckey IMO. Until Dre entered the game, it was fair game in the paint for Orlando. We had Moose/Dre paired during that run to finish the quarter.

Also, the second quarter was only won by 1-point, but I think it's not Bynum's fault really. We had a Bynum/Stuckey backcourt for the bulk of that 2nd quarter. It's Frank's issue really. I think that either one of those would play a much better game if they had a shooter next to them instead of each other. Neither Daye nor CV was doing anything of substance, so you had two driving guards in Stuckey/Bynum trying to do their thing while manchild Drummond is clogging the lane. It's a miracle that we didn't fall too far behind in the 2nd.

6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

It was actually Max in with Drum to make the run at the end of the first, I agree that Bynum should have a shooter at the 2 and 3 with him and drum to take advantage of the defence. Stretch them out and make them choose protect the paint? or stay with their man outside and let bynum and dre pick and oop them to death

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We've turned the corner where I actually go into watching these games expecting a W now. It's a 60/40 feeling. The bench spurred us on the run initially and over the past few wins it has been the starters pulling their weight. Tonight it was both. The team's consistent effort and bonding is starting to produce consistency in results. It's a great scenario when the bench has a 50/50 chance of blowing the game wide open or mounting a dramatic comeback whenever they appear. It also has to worry opposing coaches that we are bringing an all-star big man in off the bench... how do they prepare their teams for that?

We just look like a better team than many in front of us in the standings (Philly, Boston, Milwaukee, and maybe even ATL). We're 13-11 in the Eastern conference and 3-14 against the West. If it were only in conference games, we'd have the 8th playoff spot. In terms of point differential, we'd have the 8th spot too. 0-11 start just put us in a really big hole (16-14 since then). We allow the 3rd fewest points per game in the East and we're actually 7th in scoring... not bad. 2 teams in the entire NBA have a better record over the last 10, Chicago and OKC. We are 8th in the league in eFG% allowed (behind IND, CHI, SAS, OKC, MIL, MEM, and LAC). Notice how most of those teams have big man rim protectors like us!

It is showing up in attendance as we have now passed several teams in that measure.

My random observations from tonight:
    - Knight is really fast and has tons of defensive potential. He's taking a charge per game lately.
    - Good sign that Knight and Stuck were trying to feed the beast with lob sacrifices tonight. They are getting the concept at least.
    - Bynum then came in a showed how it is done. There is more to it that throwing the pass. You have to hesitate and be a threat too. Complex exercise made to look easy.
    - A little small ball action with Bynum/ Knight/ Stuckey/ Singler/ Drummond. I don't hate it because of the eraser in the middle.
    - Only 6 offensive rebs by the magic tonight and ZERO from their starting 5. That is shut down city on the glass. We've only had 1 game this year where we allowed less and that was 5 in a loss to IND where they shot almost 50%. Drummond let a few slip through his hands early and he deferred a lot to CV and Maxiell, but in the 2nd half, his hands were like flypaper.
    - We are getting a lot of dunks (Dre x 3?, Monroe x 2, Maxiell, Knight x 2, Stuckey!, and CV almost as he missed a crazy throwdown attempt). That's about 20% of our made baskets coming through stuffs.
    - Drummond just doesn't get into foul trouble. Whenever he gets a few bad calls early, he accepts it, tones down a hair, and avoids gambling. He's mature beyond his years, which is a huge surprise. He's only hit 4 fouls 6 times and 5 fouls once. In all of those games, his minutes were unaffected. He's had 29 games with 2 of fewer. Maxiell and Monroe are even less foul prone, which makes a 3 man defensive big rotation feasible (sorry Charlie, you're offensive on both ends of the floor).
    - Special K is a cool dude, but he was wandering down a poetic dead end with his repeated illusions to players' hearts being taller than their bodies. Hearts can be big, but should not be referred to as either tall or fat. Also, it is unlikely that a heart would be bigger than the vessel that contains it. It's the equiv to saying that guy is so smart that his brain is taller than his head.

Cheers all to a fun game. Our dreams of ping pong balls are waning and the possibility of a first round slaughter (or epic upset) to Miami is waxing. Maybe by the time we sneak into the playoffs we will be a dramatically different team with Drummond in shape and averaging 30+ mpg.

del, basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The last minute of the 3rd qtr.....smh......Andre Drummond. WOW! Bynum is the best PG on this team and it isn't even close; unfortunately that's not (really) a good thing.....BUT, when Bynum is indeed "good" he's REALLY GOOD!

Mogilny and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Speaking of trends and stats, something is happening now that did not happen in November and early December. The players are actually listening to what the coaches are saying now at halftime and it is working. The Pistons are the only team in the league that has not won a game when trailing after three. They are a league worst 0-20. (Toronto is 1-20 and the Hornets are 2-20).

All 16 wins were when we led at the end of the third quarter, so if they are successful in the third and maintain or get the lead...they probably win....unless the game goes into OT where they are 0-3.

Another stat >>>> 1-15 when they allow the opposing team to score 100 pts or more. So moral of the story, lead at the end of three, keep your opponents score less than 100 points and win it in regulation. :lecturer:

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I forgot to mention Maxiell in this one. Very strong defensive performance from him. He matches up perfectly to guard Big Baby and shut him down. 4-16 shooting and 3 rebs?

What was Afflalo protesting tonight? That was weird. It was like one of those Kobe games where he refuses to shoot to make a point. Is it a coincidence that the coach made him play SF tonight instead of SG? This is a guy who is 28th in the league in FG attemtps hoisting up 4 shots and getting 0 points! He doesn't seem like the type to pout.

Was it all just deferring to a hot shooting Redick?

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't watch Stuckey anymore. At one point, George mentioned his 40 pt game (4 years ago) and how he had 30 pt games 4 times last year (nothing this year).

He's so one dimensional and he's just as bad a defender as anyone else.

The problem is, Joe is in love with the Stuckeys and Austin Dayes of the world.

Great game by Will and Dre. The Pistons are quickly becoming the Bynum and Drummond show.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't enjoy watching monroe even though i know he's producing. He just seems really labored and not explosive in any way. Feel the same way about stuck i guess. Knight i enjoy and max and singler are almost almost invisible as they stick to their rolls so well. Maggette was most unwatchable to me though.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Some observations...
    - I sat down on my couch last night to watch the Pistons and a L.A. Clippers game broke out! Motor Lob City baby!

- I remember when Collider used to get compared to D-Wade when he first entered the league. For the first time in his six years in the association, Rodney actually looked like Wade on that alley oop from Teen Wolf.

- Like Ernie, I enjoyed the play where BK had the rock out on the break, bobbled that thing like it was made out of ice, and then made the sweet dime to Wolfie. All I could think about was an un-named forum member somewhere in Saginaw getting ready to fire off an angry post and then having to quickly hit the delete button.

- I'd like to request that Charlie post another twit-pic of his scale. The dude lumbers around the court like he's freaking 400 pounds. NO 6-11 guy not named Greg Monroe should ever miss a dunk like that. BoT somehow manages to make Monroe look like Shawn Kemp out there.

- JJ Reddick has turned himself into a player. He used to be just a shooter. Now he's a player!

- I'm really digging BK's defense these days. Dude has quick feet and active hands. He needed to fight through some screens better when checking Nelson in the 1st half but all in all, a good defensive game from him. I like his willingness to fight for rebounds too.

- The other week someone started a thread where we discussed NBA players that we dislike. I forgot to include Glen Davis on my list and I'd like to use this space to make this correction.

- I'd be interested to see how Jerebko would look paired with Dre in the frontcourt. Give him Charlie's minutes for a few games, he's not using them anyway. (...I know, I know, he hit a couple threes. Big deal.)

- Dre was robbed of a block in the 2nd Q. It was called a goaltend but that was a clean swat!

- I'm rooting for the Pistons but I'd like to see Boston get their act together and keep us out of the 8 spot. The NBA is better off with a Heat/Celts series and we're better off with more ping pong balls. A 1st round pick just isn't worth a couple games of tramatic playoff experience for our young players.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But if we somehow upset the Heat from the 8 spot in Drummond's coming out party, it would be right up there with the greatest moments in franchise history. The ideal scenario would be that we'd break up their team like we did the '04 Lakers.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...perhaps if James & Wade were both sustain injuries in a minor car accident on the way to game 1?

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hear ya BDL, but you are starting to sound like PTI's Mike Wilbon who says that the NBA is better with the Lakers in the playoffs :bs:
    Although it seems like a no brainer, the Heat are not guaranteed the # 1 seed...We got 40 games left in the schedule and the Lebronwades are only 1.5 games ahead of the Knicks, 2 up on the Pacers and 2.5 up on the streaking Nets and 3 up on the Rose is coming Bulls. The Heat could be #2 or 3 when all is said and done.... we know Wade will get hurt before the regular season is over and the supporting cast has a few bad games left in them..

As far as the Pistons are concerned, they have won 9 of their last 13 at a .692 clip and even if they fall short of the playoffs, they will probably finish with a 11-14 pick. So grabbing the 8th playoff spot and picking 15th draft might not be that much of a difference in getting a player between 11 and 14. Winning one or two games in the playoffs gets the fans back to the Palace and potential free agent to consider a perennial former playoff team that is on the rise.

Unfortunately the Pistons face their biggest test since they opened the season as the four of the next 5 games are on the road...if they lose all five, then we are back to square one and then we can talk about a possible 8th pick...

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hey, we just beat them handily. It's not likely that we would beat them in a series, but I doubt the Vegas odds will be 0%. It seems to me that we probably match up a little better against them than some other teams since we would have a big man advantage and since they don't have a dominant point guard.

We would really need Drummond to protect the basket from James without fouling him too much. If we turn him into a jump shooter and get some length out there to bother his shot (Tay), then it is possible.

If we were on the decline, I would dread barely making the playoffs. But on the upswing, it would be really valuable for the organization right now.

copper likes this.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I can't remember a Piston I've been so excited over as Drummond. When Dre and Teen Wolf is on the floor it's fun to watch the Pistons. I even enjoy watching Charlie Moron and Jane Austin brick threes.

19. pgreenpacer

pgreenpacer Second Round Draft Pick

The only plus to his UN-explosiveness is that he will be one of those incredibly durable big men that never get injured but still get the job done well. That is the only thing that makes him acceptable to me. No jumping so no ankle injuries coming down on opponent's feet and whatnot. =) I just with he had an outside shot.....I don't think we can ever pair drummond with monroe in a starting lineup because of that problem....

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point and I really think that's true. The risk of injury goes way down for a guy with no hops.