Orlando Magic March 9th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Because the entire Palace crowd will think Don Cherry is going to walk out and shoot the free throw to complete the three point play.

Or Maybe the crowd will think Curry is now a player/coach and he is going to shoot it.

[​IMG]

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darth, I have to squint my eyes to see that picture? Could you find a bigger picture?

3. max

max All-Star

I have had to put a lot of Walter haters on ignore. :bow1:

- including myself.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think maybe you are just finally seeing the light that your hockey team is going to miss the playoffs.:laugh::laugh::laugh::nerner:

5. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Don Cherry dresses better then Michael Curry.

6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Ah, Charley Rosen. I really enjoy reading his work. Look at this quote from the read...

"And precision passwork led to the Pistons' committing only seven turnovers — often a night's work for Iverson."

Ouch... he doesn't think very highly of Iverson, does he? LOL

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rosen also didn't think a lot of Larry Brown some nights. He was a big fan of Flip's offense.

His job is to make waves under the guise of adding insight.

8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He can be overly critical at times... I remember reading a game recap last year (it was Pistons-Hornets) early in the season and Rosen absolutely RIPPED into Chris Paul, basically calling the guy a fraud for having played poorly in that game against Chauncey.

But he is extremely insightful and sees the game and plays on the court better than most do... I won't question his knowledge of the game.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm sure there are some things to be gained from Rosen, I just remember people posting his articles even when we were still back on the DetNews, and after you follow him for awhile, he has a pretty predictable pattern of randomly choosing someone to go after as the reason why their team lost or won't be great.

I mean, whatever criticism you can make of Chris Paul, the guy on his bad nights is still better than 85% of PGs in the NBA. But heavy criticism of a Chris Paul, sells newspapers, or in Rosen's case, generates clicks.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As I have pointed out previously, Sheed missing games is a good thing. It avoids the possibility of Curry pairing him up with Dyess.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Dyess is a fine center. A lousy power forward. You want a strong center to defend against the opposing center just bullying his way in for an easy score, Dyess is a good choice to defend against that.

But if you want a power forward, capable of defending around the basket against opposing players cruising down open lanes, Dyess is the last guy to pick. Against players with quickness, who use quicks vs. strength to score - Dyess is a poor choice. He can't move laterally. Understand, he has had knee surgeries, and just can not, not even at all, move laterally. Study some film on him. He can move forward well, and with a lot of strength. But he can't step sideways. The whole league knows it.

Lets look at the end of the SA game recently. Very bad choice for Curry to put Dyess on Duncan in crunch time. Very predictably, Duncan took position in front of the basket, and used his quicks to simply go past Dyess, specifically passing to Dyess' right, forcing him to turn, and move laterally to keep up with Duncan. Of coure, since Dyess can't move laterally, Duncan scored with ease. And, believe me, this exact same play has been repeated a myriad of times over the last four years. How Curry could not have known what would happen - totally beyond me.

Curry has been using various strategies to try to hide Dyess' lack of lateral movement - but it ain't working. The other coaches continually find ways to exploit Dyess not being able to move laterally - and trust me, in a playoff series, what is bad now will be magnified 10 times over. No way they will be able to hide Dyess.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That's not fair...he can count to 26.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

@Lee: as an example is Dice vs duncan very bad choise: Duncan does his moves against of everyone any given night.

Ask from any western conference coach: they have tried ABSOLUTELY everything to contain Duncan but so far NOBODY can claim that they've been successful at it. :help:

Anyway, today's NBA is VERY guard oriented ( there are maybe 5 teams with legitimate C), so D starts from perimeter. There is no big man who is capable of covering up holes from perimeter constantly.
    :movingon:

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I disagree. Duncan uses the exact same move on Dyess everytime, and scores every time, when we choose to guard him with Dyess in crunch time. We could have had Sheed on him. Duncan may have still scored, but at least he would have had a chance to miss the shot, and would have in any case had to earn the points. Going up against Dyess - thats like taking candy from a baby for Duncan.

15. BillLaimbeer

Who would you have guard Duncan? I would probably use this order:

1. Sheed (best low post defender when he puts his mind to it)
    2. Kwame (big body, 6 fouls to give)
    3. Dyess (could use him for a few possessions just to give a different look)
    4. Maxiel (Duncan would shoot that bank shot over him)
    5. Amir (Duncan would over-power Amir)

Was it LB or Flip that put Tay on Duncan? That was ugly.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was LB in G7 of '05. My list would go like this.

1. Sheed (best low post defender when he puts his mind to it)
    2. Kwame (big body, 6 fouls to give)
    3. Dyess (could use him for a few possessions just to give a different look)
    4. Maxiel (Duncan would shoot that bank shot over him)
    5. Herrrrrman
    6. Tay
    7. Sammy Mejia
    8. AA
    9. Rip
    10. Walt Sharpe
    11. Mike Curry
    12. Bynum
    13. Amir (Duncan would over-power Amir)
    14. AI

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd just use Tay. If LB thought it was a good idea, there must have been a very good reason for it.

18. BillLaimbeer

Good list. I forgot Sammy Mejia. Plus, it's easy to fall asleep on Sharpe. I'd probably put Stuckey between Curry and Bynum, though.