Home Orlando Magic Friday Nov 16 2012

Discussion in 'November 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They went to the bench pouting didn't they?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Probably Manu.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Was it Manu's idea and Pop agreed?
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't even think his assistant coaches have the leeway to make suggestions like that to Pop.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It was a rhetorical sarcasm.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I honestly don't remember how it all went down. It was like a bad soap opera.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Singler starting. Pistons by 12.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Jesus BK is fast!
  9. The Panda

And we are seeing some decent rotations on defense which is so pleasing.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sad to see a loss, but this was probably our second best game of the year.

Dre was awesome.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This was a big time defensive choke by the Pistons that started in the 3rd period and carried over to the 4th to the tune of 39 points.
    I hate to say it, but why didn't the doctor keep Stuckey out until at least the Pistons got back to .500...e:crazy:....Case in point, the Pistons had a 13 point lead with a little under 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. (75-62). After Aflollo hits what appeared to be lightly contested three, LFrank calls a timeout and subs in Stuckey for Singler and the roofs caves in as the the Magic closes out the quarter on a 9-0 run including the three by Alf.

Stuckey scored 3 buckets during the 4th, but he finished the night with a -19 playing nearly the whole quarter when the Pistons defense disappeared.

Although the Pistons scored 31 in the 4th quarter, they missed a ton of close shots and fed a lot of passes into the paint that were fumbled and picked off.
    The Pistons shot over 50% from the floor and 80% from the FT line, but were out boarded 44-30

Despite Drummond's -9, he still was a force in there blocking shots and was 5/6 shooting....but once again he was yanked during a time out in the third was never seen again

This should of been a win!!!!:doh:
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, some good, more stupid to balance it out. Look, Stuckey is not a shooting guard. Basically, it was a straight substitution for much of the night - either Stuckey or Singler at shooting guard. With Singler, plus 17. With Stuckey, minus 19.

Lets examine just how stupid this is. According to Dumars, who let Billups go, Stuckey was suppose to be our point guard. Well, now Stuckey has not only been replaced by Knight as the starting point, coach has stripped him of even being the backup point. And who is it that Stuckey can't beat out for the backup point guard position? Bynum. This is non-sense. Stuckey should simply be our backup point, and never ever play shooting guard for us. Pretty simply. Yes, that means not playing Bynum - which goes against the coach's agenda - but it would win us games.

Also, in Frank's world, Bynum, who hardly is any kind of a point guard, and not even a guard considering guards are suppose to be able to guard, is better to have in the game than guys like English and Middleton who indeed could have been out there tonight playing some good perimeter D for us.

And the usual stupid. JJ is not a power forward and provided not one inkling of evidence tonight that he could function as one in any aspect of the NBA game. Never altered anyone's shot, never outrebounded an opposing big, and certainly did not cause any response from the other team other than laughter if he was given the ball on offense. One solution is to play the guy at small forward, where us fans really appreciated him durinig Tay's injury a couple of seasons back.

More stupid. Why did we win last game? Every second of that game, we had a shooting guard at shooting guard, either Singler or Maggette. And furthermore, we had a small forward at small forward the whole game - either Tay or Singler. In this one, again, much of the time no shooting guard at shooting guard (Stuckey instead), and not much of a small forward at small forward in Magette. In many respects, Magette improved tonight in his second game back - but since he was put in a role he is poor at this time, he was way less effective vs. last game.

More stupid. What does coach do if we can't rebound. Pretty much nothing. He has the option of playing the combo of Monroe and Drummond more. But simply chooses not to for no good reason whatsoever. Here a team comes in and scores 110, which is just sickening, and further its our place and that team comes in on a five game losing streak. Further, coach actually gets the starting halfway right so we had every chance to win. But Stuckey coming back doomed us - but not because Stuckey is a bad player, but because our coach is clueless and won't play Stuckey where he can excell - as the backup point. (Yes, he did play there about 2 minutes or so late in the fourth - too little too late.)

Monroe and a great scoring 3rd, as did Tay. Things were looking pretty darn good - until Frank started substituting the very same people who could not do anything in the first half. Apparently Frank has an extremely short memory, or my theory is correct - he is the most blind man on the planet - because he refuses to see.

Anyone notice where Singler was on that early fast break. Tay finished it - but Singler had hustled down there and was in perfect position to put the tip in if that shot had come off. Indeed, Singler was where he needed to be pretty much all game. Still does not change the fact that he is short on quickness - Orlando burnt him bad on that in clutch time - but that play should not ever have mattered. Fact is, Singler is doing enough overall to makeup for his lack of quickness. But a decent coach would have made some defensive changes in crunch time.

Again, Drummond swiped a ball all on his own, drove and dunk. If Drummond gets any position at all near the glass on offensive rebounding, his length and ups does the rest for a tap in. Very impressive. And don't come around the backet trying to score if Drummond and Monroe are in together. However, since the Pistons don't play them together much, come on in, doors wide open.
    LA Dre likes this.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

At this point, I really wish it had been Stuckey rather than Gordon rocking that Bobcats jersey. Giving this guy $8M+ per is right up there with drafting Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White.
    alexa032 likes this.
  14. LA Dre

Good assessment Lee.......although the defense disappeared in the 4th, this IMO was a coaching loss..as Jacque Vaughn capitalized on the blind coaches short memory.:hat:
  15. The Panda

Gordon proved that he could take over games. I can remember 3 outings where he absolutely torched teams with his stroke.

His defense sucked, but Stuckey's hasn't been much better lately
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You could very well say it was a coaching win for the Orlando Coach.
  17. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Good effort. The Magic just played smarter and never stopped fighting - it just sucks that they had to get out of that rut they were in against us. I will say this: coaching loss. Why leave the all-bench squad in when the other team's getting starters in? I don't get it.

Greg had a good game, efficient and mostly under control before the poor decision at the end. He was 9/12 and made all his FTs, which is what you would expect from him. He wasn't half as dominant on the boards, but that's also a consequence of having to deal with a stronger opposing front court. His defense probably won't ever be there, though.

Brandon quietly had a good game as well despite again struggling with his shot, his new career high in assists going to waste as the Pistons hemorrhaged the lead at the end of the third to beginning of the fourth quarter. He did a solid job on Nelson for the most part, but the crafty vet and the Magic figured the Pistons' defense out and they never really recovered (this is where coach needed to change things up, but nooooo).

Kyle played a solid game. He hasn't been perfect, but the team looks much more cohesive with him.

Max - he's solid, and his dunk and free throw got us what was, iirc, our last lead of the game - but he does have his deficiencies.

Tay - played pretty well. He's fitting in with the makeup of the new SL so far, looking like the Tayshaun from the contending years these last two games.

Andre - really needs to play more. He was effective in his 15 minutes, and I think the team would be better served if he got more (most) of JJ's minutes at this point, preferably getting them alongside Monroe.

JJ - who? I didn't see a JJ, unless you count the one who couldn't rebound or guard a pole. Also, bringing him in to to match up against Big Baby was...terrible. Perhaps Shabazz was in someone's dream?

Corey - didn't play all that well in the second half. Ok in the first.

Stuck - the 6th man role might suit him, but he is struggling still, and the team struggled with him (-19).

Bynum - meh.

Coach Frank - I said up top - coaching loss. He did a poor job responding to the Magic's runs, and the bench in against starters in the fourth was bad. He looks like he's trying to give everyone a set number of minutes every game, and that's a mistake. Play the guy who's playing well, go with the hot hand, what have you. And please, please stop playing the whole bench together right when the other team gets its starters in at the beginning of the fourth quarters.
    LA Dre likes this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, a bit of time on rotation. First of all, as good as we saw Singler do today at shooting guard, fact is, he can provide pretty much all the good stuff at small forward - while not being quite so slow for the position.

Start Knight, English, Singler, Drummond, Monroe.

2nd unit) Stuckey, Maggette, Tay, JMAX, Kravtsov (with Drummond and Monroe staying over as much as foul situation permits as our two bigs.)
  19. LA Dre

Guard a pole...I am almost 58 years old and never heard that one before....where have I been?? Good one Alexa...I can't wait to use it in a conversation at a sports bar or Staples Center...:beer:

Agree Stuckey should no longer start...and needs to be pulled anytime opposing team starts to pull away...by 2 pts...

Bynum...sit him for the next two weeks and see if we are better off without him.

Coach...these losses are on you. If you gotta play set minutes, give Drummond 25....
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons simply don't have a player that can take over in the late stages. On one key possession with about a minute to go, Monroe and Knight passed the ball to each other. Neither could create nor looked like they wanted to take the shot. Finally, the ball was thrown out to Maxiel in the corner. I started to laugh (though it was painful inside). Wow, Maxiel shooting a jumper just outside his limited range. Of course it missed and I knew the game was lost. I mean Singler can already make more plays down the stretch that most of his team mates.

The Pistons must be getting the poorest production from a set of guards (Knight, Stuckey, Bynum) in the NBA. How often can a team win in a guard dominant league with this trio at present.? Answer: Check the record.

What worries me is Knight. He is supposed to be the future. I just don't see the progress from year one to year two. If he is still a couple of years off, the Pistons must make getting a real guard a priority.

And Monroe needs a big man coach on how to finish at the hoop. Yes, he scores, but he fails too often in easy spots for NBA players. On one fast break drive late in the game, he was handled by their 6 foot guard who rode him out to the left. If Monroe is to be a star, he must be an offensive machine.

Monroe and Knight are the franchise now until, hopefully, Drummond gets there. But neither look ready to be a star.
    KGREG likes this.