Away Orlando Magic Friday, December 27, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Orlando Magic

Friday, December 27, 2013 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Amway Center, Orlando, FL

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

oh here they are down at the bottom.

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit by 14

Go Pistons! Let's try to end this year above .500 !

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Pistons never in it from the outset.

Blame:

1) Players
    2) Coach
    3) Holidays

Take your pick from the above or pick them all.

Monroe played poorly. Josh was off. Stuckey off or playing hurt? Andre erratic.

Not much to draw from this one except a team needs to be motivated.

In the longer term: the Pistons simply have to get a scorer at the scoring guard. Pope no points tonight. Had a similar box score recently I believe with no points. Not to knock him--he is just a rookie but it puts a burden on the first unit's offense.

Lee356 likes this.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well this one looked bad from the start as the Pistons had to fight just be down by 7 at the half. But bad shot selection and defense in the 3rd qtr and the game was over before the end of the third as the Pistons found themselves down 19 when it was all said and done. There was no comeback tonight and you know the rule, the Pistons don't normally win they are down after 3 quarters. They are now 1-13 when trailing after three quarters...

The Pistons got beat at their own game 58-48 in the paint as our two forwards were a combined 5-21 shooting for 11 points and 13 boards.

Not to say the game was lost because of this excuse, but once again we can look at couple bad judgement calls by Dumars in giving away Aflollo as he led the Magic in scoring. Although the Magic picked before us in the draft, it appears that the skills sets between Olapidi and Pope are very wide in favor Victor who had 10 pts and 8 assists in the first half. (he finished with 16-11) You guessed it...Pope was 0-2 with no points or assists in 23 mins of PT.

Although Will Bynum tried to pass off to his team mates in the attempted 4th quarter comeback, garbage time, no one could consistently score off his feeds other than him, so he was able to score most of his 18 points in the 4th.

If you didn't see the game....erase it.....we got beat by an 8-20 team that looked 10-10 team beating 5-20 team.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    George_athens, brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre,

Yes, throw it out. The first unit scored 42 points combined. And almost no one played defense--from the outset--where the Pistons were struggling to exchange baskets for awhile.

But someone does have to look to the motivation of this young team.

And, why do these meltdowns for quarters or entire games happen? Regular season blahs? Yes. But is it also a lack of a system on either end and lack of discipline to at least pick things up and maybe steal a game now and then on off nights. And why all these strange rotations when things are not going well in a game???

The 1-13 stat in the 4th quarter I was unaware of...

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First, how did Singler play. Minus 10. The only heavily minus guy from our bench. Singler did not rebound his position of small forward this night, nor was he able to provide a bit of defense for our front line. Good news, JJ got a shot at small forward minutes, produced a rate of 4 times the rebounds per minute vs. Singler and hit his outside shots to boot. And was plus for the game. Harrellson was also plus for the game. Fine game for him, but when the coach had a chance to make the right choice, the choice that consistently wins for us - using Harrellson as a direct sub for Drums if Drums gets into foul trouble - coach opted instead to lose the game. Singler is a joke as a sub for any of our front line players. The coach's obsession with playing Singler lost us this one more than any other factor.

Orlando is one of the teams I follow, despite the fact they pretty much lose game after game. They are just not that good, and yet, there is no player on Orlando nearly as talentless as Singler. Not one, not even close.

Another factor in us losing this one was poor defense by our other subs used a lot, Datome and Bynum. At least Bynum hit some shots to make up for his defense. Datome shows flashes of having some talent, but the fact is, he misses more than most of his shots. And since coach is obsessed with playing Singler, Singler was in there at small forward when really Datome should have gotten those minutes at small forward, not playing power forward where he is pretty useless.

Yes, our starters had their problems. But they also contributed a lot of positives. I will just mention two of them - Drums who had a double double despite short minutes and Jennings who had a 21 \ 8 game himself in not that many minutes. Coach gave up way early in this one by not trusting his starters to get us back in the game. (Of course, he could have made sure a guy like Mitchell was dressed so that we could actually get positive energy off our bench instead of Singler coming in and making the Orlando players look awful good all the sudden.)

Stuckey played fine. No idea why he did not play in the 2nd half. PS, playing Bynum over Stuckey makes zero sense in any case. Stuckey could have played back up point in this one, and our bench would have done better.
    Bynum did little of anything right until the game was out of hand in the 4th.

On a personal note, after a week without power, living off a generator, my generator gave up the ghost. Ten minutes before game time. Now where was I going to watch the game? Ten minutes later, the power came back on.

TheeTFD and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

BJ7 looked great with his trimmed hair.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yeah, you can tell he's definetly been to the barber shop

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't say it with venom, but Joe trading Afflallo to free up cap space so he could sign Bad Back Wilcox doesn't get nearly enough attention.

How much better would this team be with him? Pope could still play off the bench. The Buffoonery Era would have been a lot more tolerable also.

LA Dre likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Rasheed was rocking the tie tonight!

Susie914 and linwood like this.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well like Dre I was out on Date Night with the better half, followed along best I could via ESPN Gamecast. Seemed like nobody came ready to play offensively or defensively. I'll stay optimistic and say that it was rust after a long holiday break....I know, I know.....good teams don't use that excuse and find a way to win....unfortunately this is not a good team....yet!

Ernie the Slow Adult and del like this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

apparently you don't read my posts, especially my Stupid Trade Scenarios.....I've posted a million different ESPN Trade Machine scenarios where we get Afflalo back. By far Joe's 2nd worst move as a GM after drafting Darko.

Ernie the Slow Adult and LA Dre like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What's this all about? Did he subtweet you or something?

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This seems highly unusual. Yet if shooting guard should be our defensive stopper/nonscorer position then the other ball handlers must carry that weight.
    I am use to a center being our defensive stopper[Wallace] or even [Worm] at SF. Strange ?

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I listen to the first half of the game in the car and Magic radio guy specifically said that Mo yanked Pope in the first 5 minutes of the game because he couldn't handle Alf...so some issues on defense and definitely no points for the rook...

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Afflalo's shot form looks like kobe's a little bit.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Pope rarely scores. Why would the natural scoring position of shooting guard be our weakest link offensively ? Stuck has done some damage at this position.
    And if our players at SG are the weakest link don't force the ball to them. More Drumm more Jennings then Smith and Monroe in order of effectiveness.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think Pope only took 2 shots and one was a tough one that did everything but go in.

There really isn't anything to analyze from this one unless we want to pat LA Dre and KGREG on the back for sensing when to take their ladies out.

S.J., linwood and LA Dre like this.
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Pope should turn into a good player. But the fact that he is starting right now shows that this team is still lacking a scorer. A couple of times early the ball got swung out to Pope near the top of the key and he did nothing with it. He passed the ball. That hurts the offense. More seconds are run off the clock in the meantime. Opposing defenses do not have to pay much attention to him. The problem is compounded by who is brought in off the bench. The only quality scorer on the bench is Stuckey and Stuckey's skill set goes better with the second unit.

Pope's defense, for a rookie, is good but not overwhelming. He can get backed in as Afflalo did. But good defense or not, the NBA regular season is an offensive league. The majority of teams are averaging over 100 points a game.

When the team doesn't compete and doesn't even make a run, there could be issues of motivation or problems with the lack of a system to weather the runs and counter-attack. This also happened in the Minnesota game and it happens too often in the Piston 4th quarters where leads have evaporated.