Orlando Magic Dec. 29th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not value for AI, but value for his contract. Couldn't Joe buy an all-star commodity with that contract right now instead of waiting for it to come off the books ?
  2. illadelph dynamite

illadelph dynamite First Round Draft Pick

Regarding AI's decline admittedly i've only watched one game as I can only watch your day time games, but I guess he has declined but his mentality is a factor. I know when I play basketball if I decide i'm going to get past someone i'm more likely to do it as i'm less likely to pull up on my drive. Since AI is not carrying a team anymore, he has less of this mentality.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Good luck.

The bad teams won't want a guy that is certainly leaving to come in and interfere with their rebuilding and the good teams won't want to risk destroying cohesion.

Plus, what team would trade a young buck they still hope they can resign or at the very least sign and trade for a aging vet that will most likely leave for greener pastures in July?

Only thing to do is let the money come off the books and poach other teams free agents this summer and next.

That's where the Boozer idea is actually possible. No way Utah trades him for AI but with AI's money off the books we may actually be able to lure Boozer away from them. It's practically just as good as a trade, but the only way we realistically could get him.
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Geez, don't you guys sleep...

Oh Amir... Continues to solidify his reputation as a guy who will never play more than 15 MPG. Three fouls in a little over seven minutes. All right, foul 1 was one he needed to take - stopped Howard from getting going with a dunk and even bought a point as DH missed one of the throws. Foul two though was classic Amir - "oh look, here's a guy taking a pump fake fifteen feet from me, let me run through him and get a foul." Foul three wasn't much better, of his second favorite type - "let me try and take a charge from two feet inside the circle - why do they paint all this stuff on the floor anyway?"

But, starting him and getting some minutes for Max is better than the alternative, which in my mind is going back to the three guard lineup. Yes, it's time for you to start rolling your eyes at the crazy man, but this team is better without Rip than with him. These last two games were not flukes - any NBA team is better with the majority of players playing in their natural positions rather than the opposite.

Send Rip to the bench? I guess you could, though the TM(oping)RH will make TGRH a fond memory. AA could still play - getting 12-15 at the three spot and another five or so at guard. Rip would still get minutes in the 30s, but I just can't see him making the adjustment.

Finally, Sheed. What can you say? Got one of his dumber techs, but still has the best hands defensively of anyone in the league. Great game.
  5. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

TGRH needs to be traded, imho. He's just not needed anymore. The rest of the team has to go out of its way in order to do anything but set Rip up for wide-open three-pointers.
  6. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Rip will be needed next year.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

sigh. such posts -the grieving groin must go- are annoying, because of
    1. there is no good trade scenario for him - Rip is in his prime but nobody wants to give away their prime players. nobody. got hint?
    2. there is no need to trade him. Our bench may be able to do anything but score.
  8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I cant listen to him anymore after a game, just like Larry....ugh
  9. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Huh?? Oh we will definitely need him the rest of this season and in the playoffs. If he was in this game and he had a great shooting night, (with the exception how they played last night) the Pistons would've blown the Magic out.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Woot? Dice with team high 5 asst in 24 min?

Anyway, great D game. Can see 'D' is coming back to town, not Santa, lol.

Put the 'D' back to ETROIT now.
  11. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

OMG only 3 turnovers!!!! :greenapple:

GO PISTONS!
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

My wife pounded on the floor upstairs trying to silence my profanity laced tirade spewing forth from the basement following that play.

I hate leaving 3 point shooters open to 'help'... Yeah who wants to give up a contested 2 when we could give up a wide open 3 instead.

Makes perfect sense.

I was at the Outlaws for Xmas and this is the first game I've seen since the Utah game (ugh, why are we their %%%%%???)

What the hell has happened to Stuckey? He's all of a sudden taken a giant step forward, he seems to be making the right decision both with the ball and when to press the action and when to run offense virtually every time. His confidence is through the roof and he really seems to have stretched that J out pretty much every month he's been here. The dribble into the lane and jump stop into a short J is virtually unguardable.

We need to start the same starting 5 but maybe flip Rip for AI and then have a great GREAT GREAT 2nd unit with Rip/AI, Dyess, Aflalo, Maxiell, and some Bynum.

AI and Rip don't play well together, it just doesn't work, they should only share the court about 10 mins a game. This seems pretty obvious to me.
  13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

If Joe really wants to sign a "superstar" in 2010, he has to treat his current "superstar" well.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not really. He's constrained by who currently is on the trade block (might not be the right guy or position) and their current contract situation (which might not be much of an improvement over AI's expiring deal).

You skipped over the Uncle Wes bit. Uncle Wes is the most powerful man in the NBA. More powerful than David Stern IMO.

AI is not going to be traded, and the NBA's 3rd all time PPG player is not going to the bench in an All-Star season.

Just woke up. Oh boy, was that a mistake...

Precisely. Rip is not a superstar. In fact, he might not even be an All-Star anymore.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You see the pattern there? He was fouling other players' assignments. He's an active help defender, which explains why his defensive numbers are better than anyone else on our team, even with the fouls.

Foul #1- Howard blasted by Sheed and was going to dunk the ball. Amir fouled him and saved us 1 point as Howard missed a free throw.

Foul #2- He didn't fall for a pump fake. He fouled the jump shooter after the shot. Amir was in the paint helping with Howard and sprinted out to challenge the shot after a kick out, but Lewis drew the contact on purpose after he landed. Good effort, but maybe a foolish foul.

Foul #3- He was standing on the circle and tried to take a charge from Bogans after an offensive rebound. Otherwise, a perfectly good attempt to take a charge.

Foul #4- He intentionally bear hugged Howard to stop a dunk. Another very smart foul.

So, in 4 fouls, 2 of them were to stop Dwight Howard dunks. 1 was an attempt to draw a charge on a sure layup/dunk from somebody else's man. And 1 was on the player that Amir was guarding, which happened after Amir collapsed in the paint to guard against penetration, but then sprinted out to contest a jumper (that went in anyway).

With fouls like these, who cares if he fouls out after 30 minutes? It's not like he was going to get more minutes than that anyway.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a good point.

Giving AI a ring might not be looked at as superstar abuse though.

I'm not sure a guy like Bosh will see the benching of AI as an indication of what might happen to him. A true superstar believes that he will be the man on the new team no matter what.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Co-signed.
    I didn't see a glaring problem with Amir's use of his fouls last night.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes, two of the fouls were the kind he ought to have taken. I don't think it matters if he was helping out on the other two or not - everybody rotates on defenise - they were still bad fouls and they sent him to the bench in the first. (I didn't see his feet on the circle on the third foul, but I'm believing you rather than going back to look. Still a bad foul in my book though.)

Obviously, fouls provide the other team with points. All of Amir's fouls were shooting fouls. And of course, if Amir really provides value on the floor, then gettting send to the bench with five minutes left in the first also hurts his team. He had 4 boards, an assist, and a block in the first and could have had more if he had been able to control himself and stay on the floor.

But the fouls also get the other team into the penalty sooner and that can hurt too. How much I don't know - maybe I can talk the 82games guys into running some data to see the impact of getting in the penalty at different points in a quarter.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The issue here isn't TG v AI, it is having the right balance on the floor. They would play better if AI was out also because they wouldn't have that ridiculous small line-up out there.

It is obvious how much better Curry's rotations look when he doesn't have to figure out how to maximize AI & TG. Look how much easier it is to find time for AA the last 2 games. Ditto for Max and/or Amir. Watching this game I could say it would be ok if they gave away the lead because they were giving say AA an extended run and it should pay off later in the season.

If TG went to the bench he could play the 3 a lot better against some second units than as a starter. I'm thinking trade because they still got holes, but it would have to be a big who can score.

They need a bench shooter, but something about their offense tells me they wouldn't get them the looks needed to take advantage of it.

I think half the Pistons roster had no idea Lewis can shoot 3's.

Sheed seemed to do better on the perimeter against Lewis and Hedo (sounds like a comedy troop) that he did last year in the playoffs. There is no one on the Pistons that does any one thing better than Sheed plays one on one D unless you count Amir fouling. Sheed was actually crashing the O glass at times!

If TG won't go to the bench lets hope he slipped on some ice outside The Palace. The Morgue was actually alive last night.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor