Orlando Magic Dec. 29th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Arron = 20 min = win

The formula is almost 100%
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Awesome game by Sheed. A defensive gem. Also, this was a game where Sheed should have been living on the 3-point line and he made ORL pay and opened up the game for us a bit.

Stuck with a very solid performance again. His consistency is really impressing me.

And AI had one of those games where he fit in perfectly. He only forced it when we had no other options and he converted on a decent percentage.

Of course Dyess was solid as heck too. He and Amir had 15 rebounds in 44 combined minutes. About the same rate a Howard.

When you out free throw the Magic 29-14, it is a big accomplishment. And we got ripped off on some calls too, so even better.

Only criticisms are 1) that Sheed should not have taken a tech when we were only up 2 and actually got the rebound anyway and 2) it took some pretty difficult 3's for us to maintain the lead (not sure if this win is duplicatable). But otherwise, a great win against a strong team without Rip. We never actually lost the lead once we had it, although they tied us briefly.

The best part about all of this though, is that we held another team to a low score. 2 nights in a row that we will probably have the best defense in the NBA. MC, big ball works. Starting Amir works. Gotta bench a great player, so I'm feeling for ya.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think we'll be fine with Rip's offense back against them. We really needed outside shooting to loosen up the middle, but managed to get away with it this game with some lucky shots, and good defense.

edited to add; we are lucky Pietrus wasn't able to play. He would really test the size of the guards we had out there.

And Curry basically admitted in the post game that Sheed with one big doesn't work. Looks like the stage is being set for "the benching"
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Joe has got to make a move with one of these SGs. Stuckey's ability to run the point combined with 2 bigs that defend is a winning combo. Plug in Tay's versatile game, a scorer at the two, and we're talking.

If we go back to starting small ball at any point this season, it will only confirm that the Pistons organization cares way more about coddling egos/selling tickets, than they care about actually competing for a title.

Make a move Joe. AI/Rip does not work. AJ/Sheed does.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

VERY, very good point. Instead of critisizing MC keep it in mind that MC's hands are tied: MC MUST start AI because of AI sells tickets.

6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Hey LP, any chance you can tell me the url for this board? :redface:
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I usually go to REALGM.com, but they have something called ORL Magic Zone which you can probably get by googling. I don't know how good that one is.

I can't help reading it. Their fans are absolutely hysterical.

edited to add; here's the link for the zone board

Orlando Magic Forum - Forum Powered by eve community

I'm off from school. I have alot of free time LOL
  8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Watched this one from the cavernous confines of a r&s book bar, so I may be a little off, but I thought the boys did a good job, particularly on D.

I thought Amir was fairly solid on D despite the fouls, and of course Dice did well. Sheed's defense these last 2 games have been very good/great (the T was bad though). This starting lineup seems to be working despite AI's weaknesses on D. One of TGRH/AI should come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Tay was solid, as was Stuckey. I'm loving not having to watch small ball right now; hopefully we don't go back to that when TGRH returns. TGRH's groin for MVP? :nerner:

Oh yeah, Jameer Nelson is still a you know what in my book.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Thank you. I agree with you. Magic fans hate us so much it's hilarious; I remember a poster on some board kept calling the Pistons dirty thugs and kept saying we got away with 100000000000 fouls in the playoffs last year. Orlando area newspapers write up some pretty harsh/funny stuff too.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maxiel's foul on the Lewis 3-pointer was one of the dumbest fouls of the NBA season. First, he left Lewis open after he had already hit 5 3-pointers. Then, he slams into him after he drains the three. Just an amazingly stupid foul. Luckily, it didn't cost the Pistons the game.
  11. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

You are becoming like Lee which is very scary, lmao.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If it wasn't for Shards shooting in the 1st half the Magic would've been blown off the court.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's all about poise. The Pistons have it. The Magic do not.

With McDyess back, it's like that episode of Stargate, where Cam Mitchell tells Samantha Carter, that he's "Getting the band back together" even though the new SG-1 isn't anything like the old SG-1.

Cam Mitchell = Iverson. Jack O'Neill = Chancey Billups. Get it?

That's where I feel like that Pistons are at. They are starting to show some veterancy. The poise that separates winners from losers.

Even though the game got close, it was never really that close. The Magic never really put the Pistons under pressure.

Chauncey's clutch free throw making, has been replaced by AI's clutch late game shot making.

This team doesn't look like who they used to be, but they are starting to look like who they could be.

It's still December, but you can see it starting to come together.

85.5 PPG surrendered over the last 4 wins.

:good:
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Magics defense is much improved. They held us to 88.
    Magic looked much quicker and played smart.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I always thought Lee was like me :noidea:

I've been thinking about the match-ups. You know if Rip plays, it forces Jameer to have to deal with Stuck all game. Better match ups. I'm just running around random ideas with the SL. i don't think the bench thing will matter eventually. Rip will be playing well enough to stay in the game in the 4th.

AI would be better to start against smaller guards; Rip against bigger ones. I don't think Curry is going to pplay musical chairs with that part of the line-up though, but it might help to determine it based on match-ups then they both can be upset or not.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Curry is putting his pieces together and the Pistons are flirting with the elite level again.

Tay shoots that three because the clock was running out in the fourth. He should be shooting some threes by design. And enough with that pump fake.

Sheed was animated and that usually means good things happen. More 3 ball from Sheed. We need it.

Against the good teams, Dyss ability to spread the floor is important as it was in the 4th quarter.

Still get nervous with that Afflalo, JMax combination (sorry, Lee). The first few minutes of the 4th we get two scores with the AI to JMax combo. Good. Then, things get kind of stagnant offensively. Afflalo out at the wing into the middle but not his game. No shot. JMax at the top of the key. Can't do damage there. Tay doing his pump fakes instead of shooting the three. They close in on him and we get a poor possession. Either Tay needs to shoot unafraid or Dyss needs to get active or AI just needs to takeover.

Anyway, a tough win.

I think Curry knows what he is doing believe it or not.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Best win of the season. Post trade Joe D said something that cracked me up, it was talking about how predictable we were. We're not so predictable anymore with 2 attacking playmaking guards on the floor together.

Stuckey is the truth and it's good we have him running the point now, he is one of these great new crop of young PG's in the league. The problem was not Chauncey, it was that we had a VERY GOOD PG on the bench who was ready to roll.

It is almost inevitable, either RIP takes a significantly lesser role, or he gets traded....we have a problem, but as the cliche states, it's a good problem to have.

Amir was awesome tonight. His constant motion on offense was spectacular, in case you missed it, Amir basically kept running and setting ball screens for Stuckey, AI, and Prince that free up drives to the basket, no other big on this team has the energy or legs to do that on offense constantly, eventually he'll start slipping screens and rolling and getting some nice points doing that. Everybody knows often times setting a great screen will free the screener up for a bucket, this will be something to watch. His impact on our team defense is obvious.
  18. roscoe36

Yup, string some wins together, and these guys start to believe they are alpha dogs again. :)

The way the Magic relate to the Pistons, is the same way the Pistons relate to Boston. It's a big brother complex. I think getting rid of Billups helps with that somewhat, he was a little too pally-walley with KG and Cassell.

I'm anxious to see Cleveland again now. It's time to destroy some myths and re-establish the pecking order. This Pistons team is better than many give them credit for, perhaps better than they give themselves credit for.

Hallelujah brother! And as my dear friend LanierFan would put it, he's "banging that tramp" (red text) with deadly accuracy in the clutch.

Dice has a lot of shortcomings as he gets older, but he doesn't stop fighting or working, ever. He is the conscience of this team, even if his body can't do what it once could.

Sadly, the fans might be the last folks to realize it.
  19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Orlando fans are the absolute worst. Check every message board. We have to hear about Jameer and Howard until we are blue in the face, and how much Rodney Stuckey sucks (i'm srs). They might have the most delusional fanbase in the NBA. Every time they lose is due to Detroit getting away with contact, getting jobbed by the folks at the scorers table/timekeepers, universal league bias against Orlando, and the Pistons getting "Superstar calls." Such a snakebitten bunch they are. Just ask McCosky.

We're contenders like this. Amir getting burn, Max getting burn, Afflalo getting burn, Dice and his hustle/spreading the floor. People playing their position. Maybe not as good as Boston, but I like having a chance. This lineup gives us a chance.
  20. roscoe36

Hey, don't sell us short. :rofl: