Orlando Jan 25 8PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 24, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I'm more impressed with him every game. What a great mental game he seems to have. He's frustrated by the foul calls, but he doesn't let up. His offense is better than previously advertised as well.

I'm sort of curious what a unit of Lindsey/Afflalo/Herrman/JMax/Amir would play like. There would be some chaos for sure.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am concerned about problem # 1 that our front line barely goes to the line..which means in this game that no one had the balz to attack DHoward while he was in there... But as longs as it doesn't happen everyninght I am OK with it. Besides I mwilling bet that if Max and Dice would have gone to the line 10 times between them, they would have only of hit half them anyway:)
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Jarvis needs to be replaced for good. It would be one thing if his shot just abandoned him, but he makes absolutely terrible decisions. You can't let him touch the ball without him forcing up terrible shots. How he gets on the court night after night with that kind of shot selection is beyond me. Defensively he is one of the worst on the team. He puts himself in terrible positions 1-on-1, and he has frequent lapses on help D. IMO, Flip needs to go with AA on Medium to small SFs, and Fabio on taller SFs. With those 2, you've got guys who are unselfish, and won't force the issue when they don't have it.

Stuckey needs to pick it up and fast. I'm a little surprised he has gotten this much leash from Flip PT-wise. I know he went to a small school, but I simply can't understand how you go from a dominant scorer to a guy who can't hit ANYTHING. It's really starting to get ugly.

Amir brought some stellar energy in the 1st half of this one. Blocking shots and he seemed to always be around the ball (the ESPN guys noticed this as well). The fouls are just the nature of the game. The refs were terrorizing our "low-profile" players tonight, and Amir is always going to challenge defensively. IMO, his only real mental mistake was that telegraphed pass. That must have been what won him a 2nd half DNP. Unfortunately that's how it's going to be. No leash for AJ. One mistake and he's out. I applaud Flip for keeping him out there for 8 minutes in the first half though.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to follow up on this comment. I enjoyed this game immensely. I was geeked up as heck since Wednesday, and overjoyed to see Amir come in with a minute or two left in the 1st quarter. No making us fans wait and wonder if he was coming into the game. And I am getting just as geeked seeing Afflalo getting the minutes he has earned at small forward (and shooting guard.)

Probably just a coincidence I am sure, but the Palace was packed. The crowd was too quiet for my liking though. Anyone going to the game, or knows someone who is, yell, scream, and tell your friends to do the same. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

On Stuckey, he came in, and the lead expanded. And expanded some more. And some more. All the way to 27 points. (It was 19, or maybe just 17, when he entered the game.) He brought the ball up ok. He defended fine. He got the ball to the rack, messing up their defense and rebounding scheme. It ended up with us getting points. (And of course, close in shots do not lead to fast breaks for the other team.)

Hayes only played 3 minutes, so it seems your wish is coming true in that regard. Amir can play small forward against bigger players that Afflalo may not be able to handle.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That would be ideal.

The only major gripe i have with this game is like said above, Flip coaches for the blowout. You have to sub in the 3rd quarters!

And what bothers me is that our bench doesn't get in the game if it's tight (er) even though they play well in the 1st half. They need to have set rotation patters and play regardless of the score and the opponent.

Min for the starters can't stay this way.

Oh, and Meija got a small feature on NBATV when they were doing a part on the D-league. Talked about how he's great on defense, can score, and does a little bit of everything (sounds like someone that plays for us :)). Jarvis is just taking up a roster spot at this point. He's our only weak link on defense in our 2nd unit, and it shows.

It was fun to finally see the Pistons come out after a loss to a team like they gave a damn. I'm not going to panic on our 15pt 4th quarters yet. We'll see what happens when the game is tight.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That Flip is an odd bird. He's quoted in all the papers saying what a shame it was that he couldn't get Amir back in the game because he wanted to keep Sheed on the floor. Sheed was in foul trouble right around the time that he would have subbed out. It's like Flip can't put 2 and 2 together and recognize the opportunity.

I would keep playing Hayes if only to keep another body out there. Flip is reluctant to play Stuckey and AA together. One of the three wings should come out early. I wouldn't play Hayes a lot, but I might try bringing him in first for Tay and let him go with the first unit for a bit. Hopefully, this would get him better shots and cover his D.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about in regards to Stuckey's good D. None.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow ... i watched this game and thought it would be really, really hard for people to find reasons to complain about our team, but i guess i under(or over...heh)estimated! i saw nothing but good things from this game, except for the refs who single-handedly prevented a 40-point blowout. i thought they were bad in the last game against orlando, but it was ridiculous here - how much respect can you give these guys? turkey-glue has never been a spectacular player, but now any time he drives he gets a foul called. then we were the aggressor and driving the lane and not getting any calls.

anyway - amir looked GREAT. i found myself cheering all of the young guys in the 2nd quarter, especially amir. he blocked shots and as a result made orlando very tentative in the lane, and he used his athleticism to keep balls alive and get boards. even when he didn't have the proper position under the basket, he could reach over his man (without fouling) and snag the board. people have been saying at least give him some minutes in the 2nd quarter, and flip does that, yet they complain that he didn't get 2nd half minutes. c'mon. even flip said he was disappointed that he couldn't get amir back in, but he had a point - sheed owned howard in this game and it would be hard to take him out...and dyess was grabbing so many boards, that if amir was going to sub for anyone it would've been jmax, and jmax was making some key plays.

afflalo? solid as always, and you have to be pleased at flip playing him over jarvis at SF, even though afflalo had a severe height mismatch. sure rashard took it to him at the basket one time and drew a foul on the other, but if that's what your rookie can do against a $118 million player, you've got to be pleased.

jmax - not a ton of 'stats' but he made key shots and grabbed a few key rebounds, and did his job.

hayes - maybe this will humble him. i don't know how hard he works in practice, or if he stays after, but hopefully this will motivate him to work harder on his game. i think he has the physical tools to be a decent defender, but he lacks the knowledge on what to do. if you notice, his teammates are no longer passing him the ball unless he's in the post area, where he actually does have a decent game. in 7 of the last 10 games he's taken one 3-pointer or fewer, and that's more of a result of losing trust in his teammates than anything else.

stuckey? his shot will come. finishing at the rim will come. like hubie said on one of the possessions, if he had taken an extra dribble he would've gotten to the basket. those are things you can fix. what he is doing is playing solid defense and making other contributions (boards/assists/steals), and he's back to being aggressive again. he has a very long way to go and has a lot to learn, but he *is* learning and we're still winning.

for those who didn't like the starters coming back in the 2nd quarter, yeah i thought it was potentially unnecessary, but they were +3 as a unit in those couple of minutes.

i have absolutely nothing to complain about, and i thought this was a fantastic win. amir got some burn and played so well that he got extended time in the 1st half and actually made flip regret not using him in the 2nd, and is making it impossible not to give him time over the next several games. afflalo is earning his time back even with stuckey playing a lot of minutes, and he deserves it. stuckey is struggling, but hey he's been aggressive the past 2 games and is building a knowledge-set of what he can and cannot do. he's struggling scoring, but he's playing solid defense, and in the past 2 games he still managed to grab 3 boards, dish 2 assists, and get a steal in only 12 minutes of play.

the pistons are back on track and the games are fun to watch again now that the failed short-rotation experience is over. flip appears to be learning that throwing additional players into the mix makes it harder for opponents to prepare for us, throws the opposition different and unique looks throughout the game, and keeps the starters fresh (even if they end up playing a few more minutes, they're not mentally tired).
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"They got a hoot out of how much yelling I do." Qoute L356
    -
    You weren't cursing were you?