1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Orlando Jan 25 8PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 24, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Agreed. I'd with this forum extremly gladly give them as many minutes as they need...

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Screw Flip.

3. max

max All-Star

I thought we were making good progress around here lately, what happened? Why all the negativity?

Blame the calls on Steve Javie. Refs have their own way of calling games and the lead ref can influence a crew of inexperienced refs. Did we get scrwed on the calls Monday night?

I can live with this 10 man rotation. Maxiel 20 mins, Afflalo 16 mins, Stucky 12, Amir 9. Rip play 39 but he was hot and I don't worry about him getting tired. Prince played 38 but that was mostly because Jarvis cannot guard Hedo.

Don't know about you guys but I am glad they beat the Magic. When a team celebrates like the won the Finals when they beat you 4 days earlier you have to respond. I thought the Pistons responded quit well. And Amir played for the 2nd straight game.

4. mikhail1973

Nobody can guard Hedo when every time he starts to drive he gets a call. But I would've loved to see some Hermann on him.

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Not if they are playing the Celtics
    :hoops:

6. max

max All-Star

True the refs tried their best to ruin the game and I do hope it is reviewed. But it was not Flips fault.

7. mikhail1973

It would be a tossup. League loves both teams.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We won the game, but the refs still played with Flips head and he then played Rip almost 40 minutes and Tay over 38. Johnson and even Fabio could have got some of those minutes. Although as someone said in chat, more minutes played by the youngsters would have probably resulted in more fouls called by Javie and crew:sssh:

9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Our bench was called for 13 fouls in 58 minutes. That is over 1 foul per minute

5 guys X 12 = 60 minutes or one quarters worth. So 13 fouls in 12 minutes = 13/(60/5) or over 1 foul a minute.

The starters by contrast were called for 17 fouls in about 182 minutes.

It seems pretty clear why the bench didn't get more minutes.

:hoops:

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What a great win over a pretty good team for the Pistons today. I can't believe so many people are whining. Enjoy the win, folks.

11. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Steve Javie is a gotdamn clown

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Good win tonight. That first quarter was the best they have looked in a long time. Not too long ago there were first quarter blues.

Big and expected drop in the second half. Lewis killed his team. When a big man roams so far outside to line up those threes, you best shoot at least 40-50 percent. Sheed needs to see how Lewis hurt his team, since the key on bad nights is to get those second shots. Let us all hope Dyess stays healthy, because he is the only one rebounding.

Not a good night for the bench, but there could be a huge wave of developing talent for the near future. One thing is obvious about this bench:
    • They are athletic
    • They are quick
    • They are not lazy
    • They take no breaks
    • Amir, Stuckey, and AA are still rookies
    Extremely inconsistent refs tonight.

13. mikhail1973

Pretty good team that needed 40 free throws to stay within 10 points. Dyess played almost 37 minutes, Amir didn't get off the bench in the 2nd, Tay played 38 minutes. If Orlando made all the freebies it would've been a close game at the end. That's why we are "whining".
    I'd rather take a 1 point win over Milwaukee with bench getting extensive playing time.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Magic got lots of free throws because the Pistons committed lots of fouls. It really is that simple.

Amir actually played. Let's celebrate.

Who gives a crap about all of the minutes played micro-analysis?

15. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I couldn't believe those refs tonight. They sucked badly. The Magic needed what, 40 ft's just to keep themselves within striking distance. Take away some of those (particularly the Turkey Glue touch fouls) and this would've been a different ball game.

Amir - I loved seeing him get some time and produce. He's played well so far; hopefully he keeps it up so Flip can trust him more. He had 3 fouls called on him, but some were really tacky ones. Sheed/Dice/Max got hit with a few of those as well.

Stuckey - He needs to make better decisions. That offensive foul on a drive to the hoop was just poor recognition. I liked the aggressiveness, he just has to play more under control. Once he does that, he should be fine.

Afflalo - Needs to play more. Didn't score much, but he was solid on D as usual. And he rarely ever forces anything. He has a lot of poise for a rook.

Jarvis - Still no J. He didn't get much time because he was cold and sucked on D. Tay ended up playing a lot 'cause the Tragic were going to 'Shard any time either him or Afflalo were on him.

Sheed - Got his 7th T of the year. Not completely underserved, but not unwarranted either. It was fairly obvious the refs were screwing us over. He had a stellar first quarter, however, going 6 for 6 at one point and playing good D.

Chauncey - Abused pretty much all their guards. Efficient game for him, scoring 20+ points on around 10 FGAs and getting to the line quite a bit.

Rip - Player of the Game. He was on FIRE, scoring 30+ points on iirc, 50+% shooting.

Maxie/Dice - Dice had a double-double, rebounding very well. Hit some shots too. Max did well. He has a pretty smooth stroke on that jumper now. The starters played a lot, which I don't like seeing as we were up double digits for much of the game, 20+ almost all through the third. They were clearly a bit gassed at the end. Decent win. The kids are coming along. I'm happy as long as we continue to give them time to develop.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I was at the Palace, in my usual seat overlooking the Pistons bench. It was tons of fun to cheer on the Pistons. A young couple sitting next to us was at their first Piston game, and loved it. They got a hoot out of how much yelling I do.

There were some negatives in this game for sure, but plenty of positives too. I'll gleam over some of the bad stuff quickly. Yes, Dyess is wiped out, as far as I can tell, and yes, our play did drop off when he returned in the 2nd quarter. Our young guys were doing great. They had knocked the lead up to 25. We did not need our starters to return in the 2nd quarter of this game. Hayes played a short spell, and did pretty much nothing right, and Afflalo got the rest of his 1st half minutes and all his 2nd half minutes. Yes, it seemed like Flip was coaching with wrong thinking, imagining that Orlando was going to fold all the sudden, and then the bench could come in for extended garbage time. Nope, Flip, you got to sub in late 3rd quarter, assume the worst.

Now the good stuff. We rocked in the first quarter, getting a 21 point lead. The game was somewhat anticlimactic after that. It was just a matter of whether we were going to put the game away early. That first quarter featured some very impressive post work by Sheed.

Amir sure enough came in the game and played a good stretch of the 2nd quarter. He was very effective on the offensive glass, and at one point, the Pistons as a team had more offensive rebounds than Orlando had total rebounds. (Of course, we were shooting about 77% at that point too, so Orlando was not getting that many defensive board opportunities. A few blocks from Amir helped out cause too. After two straight offensive rebounds on the same play, Amir put the ball in the hoop for his only basket. Amir was not given a shot to take otherwise.

JMAX hit a couple of much needed midrange jumpers in the game, plus he made one very impressive move from the left to the middle, ending in a short jumper.

For the whole game, we outrebounded Orlando badly, with Dyess getting the most. Sheed was guarding Howard the most in the first quarter, and doing a pretty good job of it, but Dyess was taking his turns too.

A couple of times, Afflalo was guarding Lewis, which would seem quite a mismatch. The ref blew the whistle on Afflalo the first time, seemingly arbitrarily, maybe just for pwar. Playing While A Rookie. Lewis then backed him down later and scored an easy bucket. But hey, Afflalo still looked capable of doing the job, maybe if given some more experience and a bit more of a fair whistle from the refs.

Interesting that Orlando outscored us in quarters 2, 3, and 4. This included a 33 point 2nd quarter if I recall right. 49-18, yep, 33 points. Orlando hung in there, despite falling behind so far so fast. While we can certainly laugh at how easily our guards scored on Arroyo, it must be noted that they can score on a lot of guards. Meanwhile, Arroyo was having a particulary good shooting game and dishing the ball right and left to give Orlando good shots. Contrast that to earlier in the season when Nelson was their point guard. Nelson plays no D at all, and no way could match the point guard play of Arroyo. That game back then was easy. (And Dyess was not worn out at that point, the 2nd game of the season.)

Their star, Lewis, hit one triple early and seemed to some extent to shoot Orlando right out of the game. I mean, you think that somehow they could get the ball into their star, Howard, right? They did, but we continually fouled Howard when they did and he only makes half his free throws. Howard's free throw shooting woes are a big weak spot for the Orlando team. Sheed ended up with serious foul trouble from the late 3rd quarter on when he picked up his 4th foul.

Afflalo only got to take one outside shot that I recall, and he made it, a midranger.

Stuckey, did get stuffed driving in the one time, but oh well, he has to keep doing what he does best. The more he drives in, the more comfortable it will be for him to do so. Open players will become more easy to see. Keep it up Stuck.

When we need a score, there is Billups to drive in and get to the line. When we want to score some buckets, there is Rip with his steady as ever midrange game, and you better not give him an open look at a three. Great job of shooting by Rip tonight.

Tay had a decent all around game. Nice passing. Key rebounds. Some scoring. Good solid D. He probably did play maybe a bit too much, but this was not a back to back, and we don't play for a few days. Still, I would like to get Sammy Mejia on the team, a lockdown defender, strong rebounder, and excellent ball handler. Tay could get some serious rest if Mejia was on the team, and could do a lot of what Tay does when he is playing all those minutes.

Why do I want Samb on the team? To close out the 2nd quarter. Give us some shotblocking, and let Dyess get more rest than he did tonight.

OK, about all I can think of at the moment. Overall, this was a very good win. Things may not be running as nicely as they could, but they are running down the right track.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How long before every C & PF tandem in the L has blocked Stuckey's shot?

Are we sure Flip is awake during the games? He might as well be in a bathrobe with the paper under his arm. I don't know why he can't at least loosely follow his 1st half rotation(?) in the second. I actually thought he left Amir in for too long. He should have yanked him a little earlier to bring Sheed back in with more time. Flip met his quota though, no need to play Amir again. Central Division Champs here they come!!!!

18. max

max All-Star

Very good writeups in the last few posts. I enjoyed reading them.

Yes things are going in the right direction now.

This was kind of a must win game with how much importance the Magic were putting on it. You can't let them gain that kind of confidence with another win. Thats what burned us with the Cavs a couple of years ago.

Starters came out great, Flips new substitution pattern worked out great in the 2nd quarter. Things did derail at times in the 2nd half but the magic never really got close, even with all the cheap calls.

I think the plan was to go for the win in the 3rd quarter and give the guys the rest of the night off but they stopped executing like they did in the 1st half. Sure the shots are not always going to fall so easy but you have to stick with the game plan.

Don't worry about the refs. League does review all games and hopefully will point these hacks in the right direction. You know its bad when Javie lets Sheed get away yelling at him. He knew it was a poorly called game.

Pistons got the win. Get to face these guys again in a couple of weeks.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Obviously a fun game to watch in the first half. Rip with 14 FGs! CB doing damage. Sheed hitting a high percentage from the low block. Dyess almost matching Howard in rebounds (in 7 fewer minutes).

I'll just go ahead and point out the problems for fun.

Problem #1-
    ZERO free throws for Sheed, Dyess, JMax, and Amir???
    31 free throws for Dwight, Turk, and Shard???

You got to be kidding.

Problem #2-
    Orlando won the turnover battle 9 to 14? Oh crap. That is their biggest weakness. Did you see that way Howard was losing the ball? And they still had less than 10? All in all, this was about as good as you could have expected Arroyo to handle the game for them (Maurice Evans was sort of invisible, eh?).

Problem #3-
    Amir had 3 blocks in 9 minutes (I actually counted 5).
    The rest of the Pistons had 1 block in 231 minutes. Hmm. You know how we are letting Stuckey struggle through this ugly stretch? Well, Amir isn't struggling through anything. He's just kicking assyeah.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So is AA.