1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Orlando April 11th 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2007' started by mercury, Apr 8, 2007.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Not having a solid bench unit to build leads?"
    I'd blame it all on inconsistant bench rotations.
    But you gotta like how we played just hard enough to get the one seed.
    We did the blowing people off the court thing last year.

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

In the interest of fairness. Did anyone really think Nelson fouled Chauncey on the 4 point play?

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is the other thing about San Antonio, they started off very slow, so their overall stats don't do justice to their recent play.

If you look at the last 26 games, the Spurs are 23-3 and the Pistons are 19-7. Both good right?

But the point differential for SA is an incredible +13.38 while Det's is +4.85.

During this stretch, the Spurs beat teams by the following margins:
    41, 37, 31, 25, 24, 23, 19, 18, 16, 16, 16, 15, 14, 13, etc.

I'm pretty confident in saying that they are the best team in the NBA. We need them to get upset in the West.

Not only are they good, but they match up well against us. Bowen shuts rip down. Tony Parker gets by Chauncey. Duncan makes us collapse and Barry/ Finley make us pay for it.

With Dal and Pho, at least we can take away some of what makes them successful against other teams... and while their D is underrated, it is nothing compared to SA.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

At the start of the year Pop was trying a lot of bench players due to injury.

5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tashawn, Agree the Spurs are scary.

Doubt Orlando is any threat to us and Micro, it will be hard to gauge our team from the pending series with them. I think that many have the Magic overrated just as the Clippers were overrated. Every year, the buzz goes to some seemingly up and coming team. It is not that easy to reach the top.

My view on Darko is that if he is to be very successful, he needs to get away from Howard and be the starting center for a team (get 35 minutes) where he can roam and see if he can really be a force. After 3 years of that, we would know. I know that this is against the conventional thinking. If I were his agent, I would move him.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you're his agent, you want to get him the biggest possible deal now, because there are no guarantees he will ever be a full time starter or won't suffer a career ending injury.

Also no guarantees he doesn't dump his agent for a new one at any time.

The Magic can pay Darko the most based upon needs and cap space of the other teams. The question is not just the starting salary, but will it have maximum raises and how many years will it run.

Has anyone seen lazyberbs? It's not like him to miss a Detroit/Orlando matchup.

7. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Jameer had a legit complaint

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We all feel pretty good about this Orlando game, but let me point out some counter points:

The Magic have been a horrible road team and they almost won.
    They shot 50% on a night when their best player was 3 for 12.
    They missed 14 free throws, and we missed 2.
    Webber got outscored by Darko, who didn't exactly have a good night.
    McDyess was on fire.
    Chauncey had one of his best games of the season.

And we barely won.

One of the strangest stats from the game was that we had more turnovers than Orlando. They are the worst and we are the best in this stat. Now we only turned it over 11 times, which is below average, so the real question is why were they so solid with the ball against us? Hopefully the answer is just that we weren't putting our normal pressure on the ball.

Conclusion: if we don't play well, we could easily lose a couple and get a little scare in the 1st round.

I have reason to believe that we can make them turn the ball over 20 times per game in the playoffs if our energy is there. That is the way to beat them handily.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We didn't play a lot of defense. We got by with our clutch shooting from the floor and the line.

It's scary when we don't rebound or defend. Feels a little unnatural as a Pistons fan to win that way. And I am sure THE LOW will be the first one to say, that we need defense to win a championship.

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The team with the best record has not won the title since the Spurs did it in 2003. With Pacers, Suns and Pistons all falling victim in the conference finals the past 3 years, I thinking the Mavs suffer the same fate themselves if they meet the Spurs. I'm thinking its a rematch of the Spurs and Pistons for the title.

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Wouldn't worry about that game. After the big lead, you could tell that the Pistons were only looking to go home with a W and take the next 4 games off.

Also, I get the feeling a lot of the matador D had to due with players not willing to risk injury this close to playoffs.

Come playoffs, our starters ('cept C Webb) will be playing 40+ min of basketball without letup, and hopefully without the fatigue that they had last year.

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Kinder Gentler Low Says:

I don't have anything to add to the discussion. I'm just looking forward to seeing how our guys perform this coming post season. Go Pistons!

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Right. We didn't play defense. They will have trouble reaching the 80s in the playoffs. Their scoring options are limited.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We played spectacular D on DHo though. He got "worst of the day" on the daily dime. This dude always shoots > 50%... because he doesn't really shoot so much as "use the rim as a gymnastics aparatus." to quote Bill Walton.

He only dunked twice on us last night, which tied his season low.

(On a side note, Dwigt's scoring average is 30% higher in games when Darko starts. And his FG % is > 70%. )

15. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i disagree. i think darko can be successful in any system with the right coach. i do however think that him and d. howard would be the ultimate tandem for years to come with the right coach. ben wallace isn't as good defensively without rasheed. darko and d. howard in the paint shuts things down. the offense just needs to be ran through darko at this point in thier careers. darko is the more willing and capable passer. if the magic played it right d. howard and darko would be playing with single coverage the majority of thier careers. i'm sure they would get about 6 - 8 points off each other misses every game.

although i would love to see him get 3 years by himself as our starting center. s & t with orlando again i hope. nazr, dale, and webber are aging to aged.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will add two things. The media loves Howard. One night, he had the two dunks, and not another basket made that night. Several players outdid Howard that night in an Orlando win, but the highlight real pretty much consisted of the two dunks by Howard-with no mention that he scored only those two dunks.

The 2nd. We played some outstanding D mid-2nd quarter with Dale Davis and JMAX in together. I would dare say that we could have gone nearly undefeated this year if we had featured this pair heavily from the start of the season. They are that good together.

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Recently, Darko and Howard played about 20 straight games together, and Orlando did not do that great. Some people not familiar with what was going on take that as meaning the combination does not work. What they are missing is that Tony Battie was out the whole time save a couple of games of that. So they were very thin up front, and very prone to foul trouble. If they went back to these two starting together, with Battie available, they could have a good, dependable rotation and fully exploit the problems they cause other teams when in together.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have to keep in mind that point differential factors in points scored and given up for wins AND losses. The Pistons got HAMMERED in several games this year (2x to GS, once to CHI). If you take out just the two Golden State games, for example, the Pistons move up to 4th on the list.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, but you would then have to take out the losses for the other teams as well. If you take all of the losses out of the Spurs and Pistons record for the past 26 games, then you get a pt differential of +16 for the Spurs and +9.6 for the Pistons. If you count the losses as 0 instead of ignoring them completely, then SA would be +14 per game and we would be +7 per game.

We are good. They are gooder.

20. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko may have 1/2 of Dwights physical ability, but he crushes DHo when it comes to the fundamentals. All Detroit had to do with DHo was make sure he got the ball more 5 feet from the rim. Since Dwight can't dribble, shoot, or make a move, so he usually turns it over, or passes.

Even Shaq can dribble once, and do spin move to the basket.