Orlando April 11th 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2007' started by mercury, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe 16 mile would have grabbed him, but otherwise you could have waited. I'm pretty sure nobody would take him out of spite or to rob you later. I think Darko was ranked around number 100. (I could be mistaken). I also think I was going to draft him at around #80 (which was too high as it turns out). Anyhow, my point is that you still prolly would have got him plus had some studs to surround him with.

I understand you drafting Darko a bit higher than he's projected just to make sure you get him, but you're paying too much. I drafted a couple of Phillies in baseball a few picks higher than they were "worth", but by that I mean maybe 7 or 10 picks. Not 7 or 10 rounds.

But like you say...if that's what makes your season it's cool. As long as you have fun that's what counts in the end.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah but no one would have taken him in the first 5 rounds, so you would have been safe not taking him first.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For those of you that still don't believe the Magic are limiting Darko's minutes to keep his contract value down, please take a look at the following and realize that Battie "won" back his starting job:

Games with double digit scoring: Battie 13, Darko 28

Games with double digit rebounding: Battie 6, Darko 7
    Games with at least 7 rebounds: Battie 17, Darko 26

Games with at least 1 assist: Battie 23, Darko 49
    Games with 2 or more assists: Battie 6, Darko 20
    Games with 3 or more assists: Battie 0, Darko 10

Games with at least 1 shot block: Battie 20, Darko 62
    Games with 2 or more shot blocks: Battie 6, Darko 39
    Games with 3 or more shot blocks: Battie 1, Darko 22

It's not because of foul trouble, as both players average 2.8 PF in 24MPG.

It's not because of FG%, because in the last 30 games (since Darko got his starts), Darko's FG% has been 49.5% (on par with Dyess, who leads the Pistons).

Turnovers? Battie's ast to turnover ratio is .54 while Darko's is .70

Must be the intangibles.

If you believe the Pistons are hiding Amir Johnson, then you must be open to the idea that the Magic are hiding DM. After all, there is a lot more $ at stake in his case than Johnson's. And Orlando knows that they don't have a shot at the Championship this year, so they don't have much to lose.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Honestly, I could care less. Just another season that does nothing but keep the question jar open for Darko. I'm just glad we are no longer the ones wondering if this caterpillar will ever change into a butterfly. I also get the feeling that Orlando is alot further away from being championship calibur than I gave them credit for at the beginning of the season. Darko isn't their savior.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The change happened too gradually for most people to notice. He's already taken flight.

Before, it was all potential, cause he didn't have the consistent PT to get comfortable.

Right now, all you have to do is look at actual performance. What is the worst part of his game? 3 months ago, I would have said FG%. Since then, it has become the best part of his game.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's see...

- they don't have a guard who could start for any other team in the league

- they have a big man who would rather dunk than win

- they have Hill who can't carry a team, and Darko who might one day, but they won't let him play.

Clearly a team the evil twin Pistons could manage to lose to.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I want to see Dale Davis get some burn in these final 6 games. He looked scare to touch the ball last game. He needs to get that confidence back and give us some more muscle. He's a perfect role player for the Playoffs.
  8. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

In this game i look for the bench to play a little more especially in the first 3 quarters. Then I expcect Flip to integrate more of the starters at the end to salvage this game against a team we are more thatn likely to face in the 1st round. Can't give this team any kind of confidence going into the 1st round.

Since we have reached this plateau once again as far as 50 wins i really believe Flip should flirt with different rotations and focus on fundamentals before the playoffs as oppose to padding our record. Yes, I said it fundamentals such as rotating on D. contesting every shot, and last but certainly not least defensive rebounding. I believe that emphasizing these things will be the difference as far as advancing in the playoffs. I really hope we learned from last years debacle.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Jay was in a terrible place picking 2nd. He knew there were a few others picking down the line that would grab him with their 2nd picks (at least) before the position snaked back to him.

Darko was a good sleeper pick that didn't really pan out this season but he's going to be a hot commodity next season. I'd certainly go after him. IMO, he needs to work on his conditioning. He IS exciting to watch though. He's so agile.

This game is as important as the Cleveland game. We shouldn't be tossing this one away.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Darko is a dream
    Human Victory Cigar
    40 minute stats
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yeah. it's better to watch when our aging big men legs turn into dust. i am happy if we get orlando in the first round. this will give pistons fan 4 or 5 games in a row to see him play. i think a lot of pistons fan feel because he was the # 2 pick that he should be dominant in a bench role when he gets about 5 -7 shots per game in a low post role which isn't his game. i want pistons fans to see the truth that by just being the player he is now he could have helped us win championships. no scoring title's, no all star nods just winning championships. it's not about the stats folk although darko is able to rack those up.

orlando is a head coach away from being one of the up and coming teams in the league. yes contending for a championship. watch b. hill and see how he subs and slows the game down. he has the wrong type of players for that system. imagine if you were coaching the magic what you would do different. your list would be very long.
  12. roscoe36

I can't remember the last time we had this many posts in a game thread before the game started. Fantastic.

Now, who is doing recaps? bball jay? LA Dre? BillLaimbeer? Motown Pride? The Low? lapeapod?
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'll be at the game so if anything interesting happens, i'll let you know!!
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't touch this one with YOUR keyboard.
  15. roscoe36

16. roscoe36

I only saw the second half. We came out slow, established some dominance and then let the Magic back into the game.

But per our style, the Pistons gutted out the win in the last couple minutes and we clinched the Eastern Conference home court.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That game felt like 4 games. It's like we had to win over and over again. I long for a day we maintain a lead . . .
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Things that stood out to me in this game:
    • The Pistons offense came out on fire. They took a 34-21 1st quarter lead. They shot 16-for-21 in the 1st quarter. That is not a typo. That is 76%.
    • Billups is really bringing up his game at the right time. The guy shot 10-for-13, 3-for-4 three pointers, 5-for-5 FT, 4 reb, 8 ass, 2 steals and 28 points. This included a HUGE 3-pointer to ice the game.
    • McDyess has also been looking good lately. He plays solid interior defense and seems to hustle every minute he is on the floor. Tonight, he shot 6-for-9 and had 6 reb, 4 ass, 1 block and 14 points.
    • Dale Davis has looked remarkably well after taking a couple of months off. He was 2-for-2 with 5 reb, 1 ass, 1 block and 5 points in only 15 minutes.
    • Grant Hill showed me a lot more than I thought he had left in the tank. He drove to the hoop and ran the break several times. He shot 10-for-12, with 4 reb, 4 ass, 2 blocks and 22 points in 35 minutes. I would be surprised if he could put up anything close to these numbers in a playoff game against Detroit.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, that was a strange game. The Pistons started as well as they have all season, and it felt like it was going to be a complete blowout. But, of course, we couldn't maintain the focus and started toying with them a bit. Since they are an average NBA team, they were capable of getting hot and proceeded to do so. So they close the gap, then Chauncey steps on their throat. So they close the gap again and Chauncey stabs them in the heart... then he puts the nail in their camel's back and the fat lady faints.

Only 22 points from Howard + Battie + Darko. That was a testament to some great D from the Pistons' big men, Sheed, Dyess, Webber, and DAVIS. And as well as Darko has been playing lately, the Pistons clearly intimidate him a bit. Sheed treats him like a little brother. Webber plays keep away with him. And the crowd's taunts seem to make him flashback to the bombs falling in Yugoslavia, 1989.

In all fairness though, our bigs did as good a job on Howard as I've seen all year and pretty much made Battie a non factor on both ends too.

Jameer Nelson got hot, but in the grand scheme of things, he can't score when he's covered. So, they get close off his buckets and then we cover him, game over.

Fun game and I'm really looking forward to the next 5 garbage games to see how Saunders handles it. Bring out Super Dup.
  20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Worst game I've seen from Rip in a long time.

Grant played well.

Webber makes Darko actually look like a Serbian gangster. Even after all these years he's still shying away from contact when he's supposed to be setting screens.