1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Orlando 7:30pm jan 2 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by max, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not a big Maxiel fan, but I have to give him credit tonight. He was making nice contributions on both ends. Give Coach Frank some credit for having a game plan against a pretty good Magic squad.

Bizarre stat of the game: Howard and Wallace each had 5 steals.

2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

good assessment of jj / monroe and Knight. the future looks brighter with these young fellas than it has in a long time here.

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I was surprised with how well Gordon handled the ball in the 1st quarter. He had like 4 assists and only 1 turnover. I started thinking "holy cow, this guy can also play the point" and then he starts forcing the issue and has several TOs.

The announcers said it at the end of the game, and I agree whole heartedly: with Wallace, we wouldn't have won this game. Until he got in the game, Howard was having his way in the paint. Wallace defended him well and frustrated him which threw him out of rhythm.

Magic fans must hate the Pistons. We are to them what Utah is to us.

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

fun game. couldn't have been more than 5,000-6,000 in the crowd...you could've shouted across the stadium and had a conversation with someone on the other side. liked monroe getting 10/9 in limited minutes...did not like the # of balls he mishandled. howard completely out-muscled him and he couldn't get position in the low post, although one of these times he was patient and found a cutting stuckey for a layup

jerebko might get overpowered by some 4s out there but he's quick enough to stay in front of his man and force contested shots. i was cringing at a lineup late in the game with wallace/maxiell/wilkins...very limited offense but they were playing solid defense

this was the first game since gordon got here where i felt he wasn't trying to force anything and was just going with the flow of the game. he still had too many turnovers but he made up for it on the offensive end. i also like how knight is being brought along slowly...he's definitely raw

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Next 5 are a challenge.........Chicago twice, Philly, Knicks, and the Mavs.........

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good game. Big Ben was key, guarding Superman so well he became super scared. Basically turned off his switch. Gordon was excellent, working with his team well, and just making all his shots. And once when he had to work one on one - he made that shot too. Absolutely I like Ben Gordon's game more on offense vs. Rip's old game. Yes, we set picks for Ben Gordon too, but Ben Gordon can finish inside, giving a very much needed dimension to his game that Rip never had.

JMAX had another good game on defense as usual, and hit some shots. This fast schedule just might work wonders for him, as he usually needs quite a few shots just to warm up in a game. With almost every 3 nights seeing 2 games, he should just stay warmed up.

No Daye. Can't argue that Wilkens did not move well enough on defense. A zero on offense though so far. Yes, I guess it could be rust. But it could be no talent. Meanwhile, mistakes or not, Daye remains the future of this team, and I am sure he will be back out there soon.

JJ just continues to score. Outside, inside. Very active and he gets plenty of bounds. Yes, unbelievable that both our bigs outrebounded Howard. And just as exciting, Monroe's post up game is really clicking.

That front line of ours, JMAX and Ben Wallace, that was absolutely needed to get this win, did not stop the scoring. For several minutes of the 2nd half with these two in, we saw Stuckey and Knight manage to score. Knight has lots of ups, tremendous speed, and a pretty stead shot with range. Stuckey just keeps getting to the hoop and making free throws. Up to 2 misses for the year now. With Wilkens as the other guy in this squad, they often found no way to score - but the defense was quite solid. Still believe we could get more out of this group with Daye vs. Wilkens, but can't complain about the result tonight.

Ok, so we have settled into a three guard rotation, leaving Bynum out. Thats good. We do have a good pattern of resting Tay -with either Daye or Wilkens, but at least Tay is getting proper rest. Good.

Our bigs rotation is kept to 4, JMAX, Big Ben, JJ, and Monroe. In all, a solid 9 man rotation. CV, Daye, and Bynum on the bench at the moment. Could be a lot worse.

Again, good game, love to see a Mighty Piston Victory.

Walter, BillLaimbeer and linwood like this.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It was fun. I haven't seen offensive motion on a Pistons team like this (at times in this game anyway) since 2007. I haven't seen defense with active bigs, guards out on shooters, active rotations, timely doubles, hands on balls, etc. since 2007. Orlando was tired and underrated the Pistons, but at least some of this was real.

This was the Gordon I had expected. Is he back??? Stuckey seems to be finding a role on this team after all.

If JJ eventually gets some moves around the basket--watch out. Notice not only can he hit the jumper, he can be driven off his spot, move in and still hit a shorter range jumper. He can drive to the hoop in a flash if they do not block his path. He is hard for the other teams bigs to control because he is quick for his size. What he needs is when he drives in close and they cover him he is not sure what to do at about the 5 foot range-- he and tries to pass.

JJ, Monroe, Knight: the next big three???

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Call me crazy, but I really like Damien Wilkins on this team for some reason.

9. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Just watched the game on tape-delay here in London. I have to say it was the best we have played in years! Really enjoyed the game. Onwards and upwards.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Best game from Maxiel and Ben Gordon in years. Gordon was superb except for a stretch in the 2nd qtr where Reddick was kickin' his butt and the TO's he racked up, while the TO's were/are frustrating , most of them came as result of trying to feed the ball to Monroe and I can't be too mad about trying to get the Big Fella some touches in the paint.

Not impressed with Knight, still I must admit that even though his handle and game is raw and shaky he still manages to do some really good things on the court. I look at him play and see very few indicators that make me believe that this kid is going to be special, yet when you check the box score he manages to get 8pts and 3 asts in limited minutes all while shooting a pretty good FG%. If he can clean up some of the untimely mistakes I may come around.

Wilkins continues to simply do his job well! He's a better fit for this role than Austin Daye. Tayshaun Princes backup is only going to play about 14-15mpg and that player needs to come in and play tough, hard and smart defense for a small stretch and Austin has clearly shown that his head is just not into it so far this season and he's still as weak as he was when we drafted him.

JJ is fun to watch and the defensive chemistry between he and Monroe is getting better. JJ did some great stuff on defense last night that helped to limit Howard but Ben and Max were simply phenomenal!

When this team plays hard, plays smart and shares the the ball, they're not bad!

11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What a fun game to watch. Maxiell might have a career revival under Lawrence Frank. He might get serious and lose a few pounds.

I like the way Frank is managing the bench...Charlie got limited seconds (38 seconds) and Daye also saw limited time off the bench (11 seconds).

Ben Wallace can still bring it on defense and Gordon is unleashed on offense and hit shot after shot.

JJ and Monroe are a great pair on the floor.

Lawrence Frank has these guys pushing the ball up the floor on offense and hitting the boards...this might be a fun season.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice game. In a regular season this would still be a pre-season game, but still...

Stuckey actually looked in control, played within himself, looked good. I like the three guard rotation a lot but still don't trust Gordon in the long run. Bynum, and Daye too for that matter, on the bench is seriously fine with me.

After the last two games I don't see how anyone can say JJ can't play the four. Will he get over-powered at some point? Probably. Will 95% of the fours in the league get overpowered at some point? Oh yes. He took West out of the game and survived West's attempts to bully him pretty well. And he didn't have any problems on the boards last night.

Ben off the bench provides a really nice lift. There is still a lot he can do when he doesn't have to play 30+ a night.

The team will crash at some point and have some ugly games, but today is a good day.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This sounds like a good team motto.

14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know about anyone else, but it's perfectly clear to me that this is a completely different team with Villanueva back on the bench.

Walter and BallDon'tLie like this.
  15. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great hustle from pretty much everyone. Gordon played great on the offensive end, and sufficient on the defensive end. Granted, his assignments were all that difficult (what happened to Jameer Nelson?), and a few times there was no weak side for BG on curling, cutting guys.

JMax looked great working that high post area with D-Ho on him...why didn't Monroe do more of that? I think he was quite intimidated by D-Ho...understandable. Monroe had a nice pass from the baseline to a cutting Stuckey...we need more of that from Monroe down there, and in the high post. He's got that 12-15 footer, make people guard you bro! S

Stuckey, keep driving man, it's working and I'm loving it. The fact that Gordon was hitting his shots really helped open things up for Gordon, and Stuckey cutting kept things open for Gordon, they are developing some chemistry as well.

JJ is silky smooth, I have to say. He's keeping people honest with his 20 footer, and then taking them to the bank, and using spin moves, and soft touches to get the 3-5 footers to fall. All day baby.

Most exciting game (and chat) I've had in a while!

coynejeremy likes this.
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The thing I loved the most about this game was the sweet feeds that Gordon had driving to the basket. There were at least 4-5 of those where he would drive and then do a nifty pass to the open big when the defense collapsed. One of them (the feed to Monroe in the 3rd) even made the highlights of the game. I never knew Gordon had the ability to do that. I hope he keeps that up. I pray that he teaches it to Stuckey. :-P

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pistons are 2-3 right now. With 5 tough games in a row, if they can end up 5-5.....then I'm ready for a bandwagon.

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good point on Gordon's passes. Very nice surprise.

19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

which is good, because Gordon isnt much of a finisher in traffic. So if the defense collapses I love the fact that he is smart enough to drop it and I love the fact that our Bigs..ie GM and JJ are always flashing to the hoop to recieve the dump offs. Let the defense pick their poison. What also helps is give BK Broiler a slow entrance to allow him to absorb the speed and size and strength of the NBA game. He is very good at getting to the hoop and his teardrops are gonna be awesome to watch. He has a good shot from distance, but as someone said here earlier, he has some college tendencies to overcome and it will take time. The part that makes him special in my eyes is the flashes of taking over a game and the way he kinda goes into a zone and you can tell hes making plays and decisions on instinct and the instincts are usually right.

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I love the new Going To Work style and the JJ/GM-partnership is really improving. I really like what Frank is trying to do here and how he's keeping softies like Chaz and Austen Jane on the bench.