Options if 'Sheed is a goner

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tuss11, Jun 2, 2008.

1. tuss11

tuss11 Second Round Draft Pick

First, I have been a member of this board for 2 years but never have posted for no apparent good reason other than I haven't. I really enjoy this board and the basketball knowledge of the members.

So, I have had time to re-collect my thoughts and buy a new cable remote after I broke it by throwing it against the wall during game 6 on Friday. I know the talk has been to get rid of 'Sheed but what options are there to replace him? I've been thinking maybe we could swing a trade for Jermaine O'neal. If he brings his A-game to Detroit I could even manage to forget his role in the brawl. I know he has had injury problems but ever since our training staff gave Dyess new knees and Lindsey a new back, I am not worried about it.

I think O'neal and Max starting would be the Wallace bros v2.0. Just a thought.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome aboard tuss11. You rock. I've been watching you not post for a long time. I always imagined forum lurkers as being too emotionally under control to break remotes. Good thing you set me straight! :)

I would entertain Jermaine O'Neal. I think he would be an awesome fit in Detroit.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    O'Neal would've been great if he could actually play more than 40 games a year. Maybe Arnie can work some of his magic.
  4. tuss11

Yeah, I used to be more calm during Piston games until the "on and off switch" pistons emerged. I really like J O'neals game. The pickings for quality bigs in this league is pretty slim. I was just thinking of a guy that can rebound, block shots, is tough, hungry, and could guard Dwight Howard. He is thie only realistic guy in the league that I could think of.

I have been trying to figure out the salary cap and other issues for a while. Financially does anyone know how we could swing this trade?
  5. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We'd have to give up more than Sheed to get him, apparently.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Trade Restriction
    The following players selected in this scenario have restrictions which prevent them from being traded at this time. This may prevent the trade from occuring.

Players with Trade Restrictions
    Jermaine O'Neal
    O'Neal is in the last non-exercisable year of his contract and cannot be traded. However, next season is currently an early termination option and if is not exercised, then the player can be traded.
    But if the trade went ahead, this is what it would look like.

RealGM: Trade Checker

You might be able to trade Amir and Sheed instead of Dice and Sheed.
  7. tuss11

Thanks for the info. It was a thought
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Dice's situation is sticky as he could retire if he's traded. He's very emotional and could end up leaving $14 million on the table.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gotta keep Dyess. He's the best player in the league who would actually enjoy coming off the bench for us.

Also, his rebounding, defense, and experience are needed if Sheed departs.

The more I think about all of this, the more I just want a new coach. If Laimbeer comes aboard, then I'd even keep Sheed for his last year.

Here is one other off the wall idea. What if we just switched Laimbeer and Flip? Keep paying them the same amount of money, just ask Bill to coach the Pistons and Flip to work with the Shock.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Whoa!!

For some reason, I don`t see those two working together very well, not even for one year!!
  11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

This is a very creative idea. I really like it. It seems like a win-win-win for Bill D., Flip and Lambs. Flip's pride might be hurt a bit, but that would be a false pride. No shame in coaching the Shock, especially at his current salary.
  12. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I like that we are looking at a realistic deal here (the proposed JO trade), but I don't really want a big on the team that came out last year or the year before and said he no longer wants to play in the paint.

I know I have no link for this, but I do remember him saying this in the past year or so, and at the time he was still trying to get traded and I remember thinking what a %%%%%